Supply Diminishing

Options
Jillsie11
Jillsie11 Posts: 249 Member
I posted this in Breastfeeding Support, also wanted to see if any of you have any helpful advice...

Well, it's happening again...at almost 10 months postpartum, I'm losing my supply. Happened with my oldest daughter, and I had to wean her at 10 1/2 months...but I really wanted to make it a year this time around:(

I'm assuming it's due to how often she eats...she has only been breastfeeding 4 times a day for the past 5 months or so. She'll eat a lot (6-7 oz) at each feeding, and has also been eating solids since about 6 months.

I still seem to have enough for the first 2-3 feedings...it's the last 1-2 feedings that I have trouble with. I've been pumping this past week after the morning feeding, but don't know if it will really help at this point?

I called a lactation consultant and they weren't really a huge help. There's no specific "reason" why my supply should be diminishing. I asked if I should try drinking mother's milk (which I have been), but she said there's really no proof it helps.

SOOOOooo, I'm asking you all- does anyone out there have experience with this? Where your body stops producing even though your heart wants to keep going?? Like, I know it's not the end of the world- 10 months is a good run, and we can just switch to formula towards the end. Just makes me sad, and feel somewhat like a failure:( I was bawling about it the other night. Any advice would be appreciated!!

Replies

• Mewlingstork
    Mewlingstork Posts: 266 Member
    Options
    I'm so sorry you're going through this.

I definitely think pumping would help. Your body is set up on supply and demand, so increase demand. Mother's Milk tea can be effective, but you have to ingest incredible amounts. You might be better to try fenugreek pills or something like that. Oats, brewer's yeast, flax seed, almonds, Gatorade, all things that mothers have said helped their supply.

But truthfully, why do you think your supply is going down? As time goes by, your body adjusts to the amount needed, so your breasts might not feel 'full' anymore, you might not even feel a let down. And pumping is completely different than your baby, so your baby will always get more than you can pump out; they're just more efficient. If your baby is having enough wet diapers and isn't losing weight, then your supply is ok. Even if your supply is going down, there's always an option of donor milk before formula. Try to find a mother with milk that was pumped when their child was the same age as your baby. Human milk 4 human babies, and others are on Facebook and the Internet to connect mothers.

Hope any of that was helpful; 10 months is a great run! More love, less guilt!
  • Jillsie11
    Options
    Thanks for the reply- I'll look into that stuff!!

I forgot to say why I think it's decreasing: the last 1-2 feedings of the day, Jovie will eat a bit, then cry, eat a bit, then cry. Like it's just not coming out as fast as it used to. The other night, I gave her a bottle for her last feed so I could pump/know what we're working with...and only got 2 ounces. So I'm pretty sure it's lessening.

But thanks again for the helpful advice!!!
  • kcasey155
    kcasey155 Posts: 968 Member
    Options
    What are you doing during the day? Are you resting enough? Drinking enough? Eating enough? De-stressing enough? All these are really important for milk production.

Hope you can work it out!
  • Jillsie11
    Options
    What are you doing during the day? Are you resting enough? Drinking enough? Eating enough? De-stressing enough? All these are really important for milk production.

Hope you can work it out!

Ummm, I mean just normal days. I work part-time (15-20 hours a week), and am home the rest of the time with my 3 year old and 9 month old. I work out 3-4 times a week...drink at least 8 glasses of water a day...watch my caffeine. I ALWAYS eat back my breastfeeding calories- definitely eating enough. I think I'm good on all those counts...?
  • ks4e
    ks4e Posts: 374 Member
    Options
    My daughter is 8 months and I work full time, which has resulted in my supply decreasing sometimes. While people say what you pump isn't an adequate indicator, I am familiar with my pump routine and know what I should have at the end of the day. What caused a decrease for me was:

-stress
    -not enough calories
    -not enough water
    -too little protein/healthy fats

Sometimes I would grab a burger and the next day my supply would be so much better. I also started baking lactation cookies (you can find recipes online - I use a premade mix) and that helped so much more than the tea.

Good luck!
  • Jenny_Rose77
    Jenny_Rose77 Posts: 418 Member
    Options
    I feel like Mother's Milk tea has been helping me (I too felt like my supply was diminishing, but at around 7 months for me). I drink two cups a day. One first thing in the morning, and then one in the evening. I pump first thing in the morning, and just started pumping in the evening. I hate pumping, but I do think it sends the "produce more" signal I want to generate. I also had previously found lactation cookies to be TOO helpful, and will be using them next if I need to do anything else. Right now I feel like the tea & extra pumping is working.
  • chickybuns
    chickybuns Posts: 1,037 Member
    Options
    I agree with what the others said. Is it your time of the month? Mine goes down then too. I also agree with pumping more to see if that would help. Good luck and awesome job for making it so far!
  • shnoots
    shnoots Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    I haven't experienced any decreases - considering I have almost no supply to decrease >.< - but you might try adding some brewer's yeast or some alfalfa to your diet. They're the only two things that have helped me increase my supply. Plus they make you feel good in general.
  • cocolo89
    cocolo89 Posts: 1,171 Member
    Options
    Luckily I haven't had issues with supply decrease this time around (knock on wood) but what I would do to increase my supply whenever it dropped with my daughter is taking fenugreek pills (help tremendously) and pumping around the clock every 2hrs. It alot of work, but after a few days my supply would increase tremendously. Its worth every bit of trouble!
  • Jillsie11
    Options
    Thanks for all who have replied- definitely got some useful tips! Gonna keep up with the Mother's Milk Tea, and also purchased Fenugreek today to take. I also heard that oats/oatmeal help boost supply, so will try that as well:)

As for teething- it's possible!! She's been somewhat cranky lately, and my husband is convinced that's it.

Chicky- it's around "my time of the month" as far as what my birth control says...but I still haven't gotten a regular period, so who knows?

Had a victory yesterday. Because of work, and a committment last night, my mom ended up watching my girls from noon on. So, I pumped for all the regular feedings and got pretty close to what she normally eats each time. Maybe what I'm doing is working!!! Also made a conscious effort to not stress about it so much, which is so hard obviously. Just want what's best for her!

So thanks again for the advice. Hopefully, we're on a increasing trend now!!
  • cocolo89
    cocolo89 Posts: 1,171 Member
    Options
    That's awesome news! How are things going now? Has the tea and fenugreek helped you?
  • KhalilahSS
    KhalilahSS Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    I would try drinking 16 cups of water a day- its a gallon but it def helps. my daughter is 2 months and supply was low- did that and it brought it back up
  • FitMama2013
    FitMama2013 Posts: 919 Member
    Options
    Jillsie - any progress? I'll echo what the others have said regarding increasing demand to help increase your supply. Also, my LC suggested GAIA's lactation support supplement (you can get it on Amazon), and it's helped me! My LC also said that drinking too much water can dilute your hormones, which can lower supply, so don't overdo it! Lastly, sometimes when my pumping has been low for the day (at work) I'll heat up socks filled with rice and put them in my pumping bra. For some reason, that seems to help me get out every last bit! No matter what happens, 10 months is such a wonderful gift for your sweet baby, so great job mama!