Question on actual miles in video

Options
Spadhnik
Spadhnik Posts: 130 Member
Hi everyone,
I did 5km Walk video of Leslie today. I was also having my phone in pocket which has pedometer app.
Pedometer app shows 2.5km but Leslie’s video was for 5km. How is that possible? Any idea?

On other note, I have always enjoyed Leslie’s video. I used to do 1miles before. But would be doing 3 miles or more now...

Replies

• AnnofB
    AnnofB Posts: 3,584 Member
    edited October 2018
    Options
    Hello Spadhnik. Years ago, in one of Leslie's workouts, she mentions that she counts the miles by beats per minute. I just googled BPM and a 12 minute mile is 130 beats per minute.

I think the difference in what we see with our devices is that pedometers and trackers sometimes do not recognize moves like sidesteps as "steps".

Also, there is evidence (google again ;) ) that trackers/pedometers can be off by as much as 27 %. I don't have any experience with heart rate monitor type devices, but have read that they are more accurate than pedometers and trackers such as FitBit's and others.

Oh, I almost forgot, another member of this group, zichab, mentioned before. With digital pedometers, FitBit's, Garmin devices, you have to actually measure your average stride length. Most devices and I guess apps will tell you how to figure this. This step (no pun intended) should make your miles per workout more accurate.

I hope this info helps.

Leslie's easy to like, isn't she? She just keeps going and going. I don't think the woman has aged. The first excercise video (yes, video!) I bought back in the 80's was her Basic Step and Aerobics workout. She's been around a while and knows her stuff and looks fabulous too.

Glad you joined us.
    Ann
  • Spadhnik
    Spadhnik Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    Thanks Ann.
    I did not thought of side steps etc...

Love these workout videos, enjoy using it..