Why do runners run in the road?

Options
FL_Hiker
FL_Hiker Posts: 919 Member
edited October 2018 in Social Groups
Hi there,
This is probably a weird question but I was thinking about it this morning on my long run. I run in a very nice neighborhood with well maintained sidewalks that usually aren’t busy. I noticed on my 15 miles today I was the only one running on the sidewalk. I saw like 30 other runners and they all ran in the road, usually on the side but some were smack dab in the middle and it was pitch dark out, which just seems dangerous to me. I always pick the sidewalk since I figured it’s safer (less chance of getting nailed by a car in the dark). Is the road softer than the sidewalk or something ? Easier on the joints? How come everyone runs in the road? I feel like I’m missing out 😆.

Replies

• MobyCarp
    MobyCarp Posts: 2,927 Member
    Options
    Asphalt is softer than concrete, and that makes a big difference as the miles pile up. In addition, roads are more even than sidewalks, even well-maintained sidewalks. Cars are easy to see and hear. Avoiding pedestrians, children, dogs, and others using a sidewalk as a sidewalk can be more challenging than avoiding automotive traffic.

As I run more miles, I have noticed that asphalt roads are softer than asphalt sidewalks and paths. I don't know why; perhaps the asphalt on roads tends to be newer and the sidewalks/paths have more of the volatile compounds sublimated out to give a harder surface.

Given a choice between a concrete sidewalk and an asphalt road, I will run in the road unless traffic is so heavy that immediate danger outweighs the pounding over time from the harder surface.

I can't speak to why some runners go right down the middle of the road instead of staying to the side and running against traffic. They might be seeking better footing, or they might just not be paying attention.

Of course, if I really want to avoid pounding on my legs, ankles, and feet I'll run on grass or trails instead of roads; but grass and trails aren't always an option, and it's impolite to trample residential lawns.
  • smeebles
    smeebles Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    I run in the roads to avoid: dogs, kids, bikes, uneven sidewalks, untrimmed bushes, cars that are parked blocking the sideway, etc.

• FL_Hiker
    Options
    Ah ha that makes a lot of sense! Thanks y’all.
  • lporter229
    lporter229 Posts: 4,907 Member
    Options
    I find sidewalks to be more dangerous than roads, especially in the dark. Uneven cracks and low hanging limbs are a definite hazard. As long as you are wearing the proper reflective gear and running towards traffic, you should be fine running on the road.
  • MobyCarp
    MobyCarp Posts: 2,927 Member
    Options
    lporter229 wrote: »
    I find sidewalks to be more dangerous than roads, especially in the dark. Uneven cracks and low hanging limbs are a definite hazard. As long as you are wearing the proper reflective gear and running towards traffic, you should be fine running on the road.

I tend to agree. I have run thousands of miles, and I have had 3 falls significant enough to affect how much I run the following week. All 3 happened on sidewalks, even though I run far more distance on roads.
  • spiriteagle99
    spiriteagle99 Posts: 3,675 Member
    Options
    Where I live there is a lot of erratic up and down on the sidewalk. In some cases each driveway is a dip and climb. It's a PITA. Then there are the roots that raise blocks, the cracks, the holes, the bricks that make up some sections of sidewalk, the cobblestones, etc. Avoiding all the irregular bits makes for an erratic stride, which slows me down and has caused a couple of falls when I didn't lift my foot high enough.
  • FL_Hiker
    Options
    runners run on roads because joggers jog on sidewalks?

But how come cars park in drive ways and drive on park ways?
  • MNLittleFinn
    MNLittleFinn Posts: 4,271 Member
    Options
    FL_Hiker wrote: »

reverse psychology.... it's all a mind game
  • 7lenny7
    7lenny7 Posts: 3,493 Member
    Options

You have to drive on a driveway or you'd never get anywhere
  • FL_Hiker
    Options
    7lenny7 wrote: »

You have to drive on a driveway or you'd never get anywhere

Wise guy, I bet you run in the road ;):D
  • GiddyupTim
    GiddyupTim Posts: 2,819 Member
    edited November 2018
    Options
    I suppose asphalt is softer than concrete (though with soft, 1/4 inch to 1/2 inch, running-shoe rubber on your feet how much difference is that really going to make) and sidewalks do tend to be uneven, which can be dangerous (though you might just keep your eyes peeled), I have a different reason for the road.
    I run on the road for the camber. I have a torn meniscus in my left knee. Having the slope go down from my left side to my right seems to be a little bit easier on that tear, and the discomfort it causes.
    Flat is okay too, and I can find flat in the very middle of the road, where sidewalks slant all over the place.
    Perhaps there are others like me -- that is, those with injury issues who are looking for slant or footing?
  • tmccutcheon
    tmccutcheon Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    I have basically stopped running on roads and sidewalks altogether. 95% of my runs are now on trails. I do walk several days a week on sidewalks, though.
  • VanderTuig1976
    VanderTuig1976 Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    I haven't read the other posts so this may be a repeat of what others have already said. For me, I do prefer sidewalks to roads up to a point. If I'm running at a time when more people are out, I usually default to the road to avoid the situation of having to quickly get off the sidewalk or vise versa. Also, sidewalks can have uneven or broken parts and if you're not familiar with the area it can create a potential hazard especially in the dark. Lastly, I find that in the winter or rain, sidewalks are way more slippery than the road.
  • Wen2Run
    Wen2Run Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    Is this an American thing? Because in the UK I almost never see anyone running in the roads. Maybe our roads are narrower and your very likely to get run over but some rage filled nutter.
  • T1DCarnivoreRunner
    T1DCarnivoreRunner Posts: 11,502 Member
    Options
    Where I live, the sidewalks are up to homeowners to decide IF a sidewalk will exist and how/when they maintain it. I go half a block on sidewalks, then through a yard, and back to sidewalks... much easier to just go to the road.
  • pondee629
    pondee629 Posts: 2,469 Member
    Options
    Because the macadam which paves the road is softer and easier on the feet than the concrete of the sidewalks.
  • docsallen
    docsallen Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    I usually run very early in the morning (start before 5, end before 6 - it is dark for some or all of my runs) and almost always run on the sidewalks mostly because of safety. It is difficult for me to see cracks, uneven sidewalks, tree branches and roots and leaves, and other debris. I have only fallen 3 times the past 5+ years and always while I was running on the sidewalk. I also live in a nice neighborhood but the lots are wooded, so there are many bushes and trees that are close to/practically on the sidewalk. It is dark enough that I would not actually see a person or animal until they came in contact with me. I wear a lighted vest, a mace bracelet, and since there aren't many cars on the road, I can see when one is coming and I go to the side. If I run during the day when traffic is heavier, I run more on the sidewalks when the side of the road is not out of the way enough.

Last, I sometimes run with a group of people and we can run side-by-side and talk if we are in the street, but not if everyone is on the sidewalk - not wide enough.