Nov 12 Weekly Challenge: Fall Declutterfest!

Options

Replies

• texasgardnr
    texasgardnr Posts: 2,658 Member
    Options
    I just finished reading through everyone's Declutter Fest posts! Oh, my goodness they were full of ideas and so much inspiration! You all did so many amazing decluttering projects.

Early in the Declutter Fest week we had a very unusually early, hard freeze in my area. We broke records that were held since 1916 of 28 degrees, by dropping down to 23 degrees. We were only expecting an early light freeze in the 30s. Because our first freeze normally comes much closer to the end of the month and is usually a light one, this hard of a freeze was totally unexpected and took everyone by surprise.

Well, that gave me the inspiration for my Declutter Fest project. I had already started my autumn garden cleanup the week before, and my husband had surprised me by bringing me pansies for that area. So after the freeze I took Declutter Fest outside and we cleaned out a lot of the frozen back foliage. And I also continued to focus on clearing out and cutting back the area where I was going to be planting pansies in for the winter. I started planting the pansies as I progressed in the clearing. It looks lovely now with the pansies smiling back at me whenever I look outside to the backyard, or go outside.

Thanks for another great Declutter Fest!

texasgardnr :flowerforyou:
  • 77tes
    77tes Posts: 7,754 Member
    Options
    @nebslp , please share the title of book 2 since it is such a keeper!

@getitamb , welcome to the group! We've got some seriously awesome declutters here, and their ideas are really inspiring. :)
  • MadisonMolly2017
    MadisonMolly2017 Posts: 10,972 Member
    Options
    Wonderful posts!

Decluttering is changing me fundamentally!

I’m learning so much about what I love & what I want my life to be filled with.

I am now placing all the art I have made that I actually LOVE in page protectors & am searching for the Perfect Binder in which to place them!!

A friend is coming over to mentor me on the Next Project (probably next summer) to replace old windows, repaint interior (maybe exterior), redo floors. All at least 30 years old. I will be giving away the furniture I don’t love which will mean far less to store during the work, which is why I started decluttering 3.5 years ago!!! Excited!
  • nebslp
    nebslp Posts: 1,648 Member
    Options
    @77tes The name of the book I read is "The Years of the Forest" by Helen Hoover. I had read her book "A Place in the Woods" back in the 80's when my husband and I dreamed of living somewhere out in the country surrounded by trees. That dream became a reality in the mid-'90's. I could relate to how Helen felt about the forest she and her husband had moved to, and to her love and respect for all animals. I don't know many people who do the things I do to help and protect creatures they consider worthless or dangerous, but I know she did. The book is heartwarming and heartbreaking at the same time.
  • 77tes
    Options
    Have you you read the Girl of the Limberlost , @nebslp? The author Gene Stratton-Porter was a naturalist of the first water. Her stories are a bit melodramatic, but the background and settings are fascinating. I think I remembering hearing of how good A Place in the Woods was (probably back in the 80s). :)
  • nebslp
    Options
    @77tes I had not heard of the book you mentioned. I am excited that I was able to download it to my iPad from my local online library just now. I have 21 days to read it so if I don't get to it right away, I'll be able to read when we're traveling for Christmas. Thank you for the tip.
  • 77tes
    Options
    nebslp wrote: »
    @77tes I had not heard of the book you mentioned. I am excited that I was able to download it to my iPad from my local online library just now. I have 21 days to read it so if I don't get to it right away, I'll be able to read when we're traveling for Christmas. Thank you for the tip.

I read them all online, and still have them in my Kindle.
  • texasgardnr
    edited December 2018
    Options
    @77tes and @nebslp, A Girl of the Limberlost (1909) is the sequel to an earlier book called Freckles (1904). I read them both several years ago. I enjoyed them and also learned a lot from both books.

• themedalist
    themedalist Posts: 3,212 Member
    edited December 2018
    Options
    I have thoroughly enjoyed reading your Declutterfest updates! Periodically decluttering our homes, minds, and lives is one of the healthiest practices we can have, I think. Yes, we will have a Winter Declutterfest coming up in a few months, likely in February.

And welcome to ur group, @getitlamb!
  • nebslp
    Options
    @77tes and @nebslp, A Girl of the Limberlost (1909) is the sequel to an earlier book called Freckles (1904). I read them both several years ago. I enjoyed them and also learned a lot from both books.

I’m so excited! I was able to download Freckles as well. Thank you, @texasgardnr for the suggestion.

• nebslp
    Options
    @themedalist A winter decluttering fest will be perfect for the cold winter months ahead! Thank you!!
  • PackerFanInGB
    PackerFanInGB Posts: 3,334 Member
    Options
    Always a day late and a dollar short...but here I am! I didn't get the basement decluttered after all. I did, however, declutter a cupboard in my kitchen and could not believe how much CRAP I had in that cupboard. I didn't keep much at all! So, that allowed me to move items from a different cluttered cupboard into that one which really opened that whole cabinet up--much cleaner look!

I love the insights I read in this thread! Thank you all for sharing your tips and tricks! I love the idea of going through my books by reading and then keeping or tossing. I love the idea of going through my clothing and ONLY KEEPING STUFF THAT FITS AND THAT I LOVE. (Except I fear I would be walking around in the same outfit all the time or buck nekkid!) I think the removing 1 item for each number of days in that month is a great idea also, especially for my digital declutter project which I think will be never-ending. There is so much knowledge in this group to draw from and I plan to go back and read it all over again tonight and write down the ideas and thoughts I have for my own approach. I am going to use this week as MY declutter week since i totally failed to do this when I was supposed to!

@MadisonMolly2017 I am SO HAPPY to hear your good news about your arm! that is fantastic! Now don't overachieve and hurt yourself! :mrgreen:

I think I'm going to have to get Marie Kondo's book. It sounds really insightful. I have found that the less decluttered my surroundings are, the happier and less anxious I feel. I never in a million years would have guessed that about myself. I normally don't throw away ANYTHING! And my husband has always teased me about cluttering up the house. Since I started doing this around the house, I have learned one important fact about my marriage....that my husband is actually the CLUTTERER and he is not always right! LOL!

When we did this challenge the very first time, I decluttered a whole room in our house, and I'm not kidding...I think it actually saved us 10's of thousands of dollars which we would have spent had we sold our house to move to a larger one. That first declutter opened up a whole room! I now have a vanity with my make-up, hair dryer and hair products, etc., in that room, and that is where I sip coffee and get ready for work in the morning. I also have an antique dry sink with some art supplies and magazines inside it, along with a basket of more books/magazines next to an antique refinished oak rocking chair for when I sit in there and read or just want to be alone. I have a few old pictures hanging on the wall which I love but don't match the decor in the rest of the house, and an essential oil diffuser that I use for relaxation. It's my "Book Nook" now. Ever since I got myself a whole empty room, I've been hooked on the whole declutter idea, but I still have difficulty letting go of sentimental stuff, so baby steps and I will get there.

Thanks again everyone for your insight. I can't wait to go back and re-read and take notes! :smile:
  • MadisonMolly2017
    MadisonMolly2017 Posts: 10,972 Member
    Options
    Always a day late and a dollar short...but here I am! I didn't get the basement decluttered after all. I did, however, declutter a cupboard in my kitchen and could not believe how much CRAP I had in that cupboard. I didn't keep much at all! So, that allowed me to move items from a different cluttered cupboard into that one which really opened that whole cabinet up--much cleaner look!

I love the insights I read in this thread! Thank you all for sharing your tips and tricks! I love the idea of going through my books by reading and then keeping or tossing. I love the idea of going through my clothing and ONLY KEEPING STUFF THAT FITS AND THAT I LOVE. (Except I fear I would be walking around in the same outfit all the time or buck nekkid!) I think the removing 1 item for each number of days in that month is a great idea also, especially for my digital declutter project which I think will be never-ending. There is so much knowledge in this group to draw from and I plan to go back and read it all over again tonight and write down the ideas and thoughts I have for my own approach. I am going to use this week as MY declutter week since i totally failed to do this when I was supposed to!

@MadisonMolly2017 I am SO HAPPY to hear your good news about your arm! that is fantastic! Now don't overachieve and hurt yourself! :mrgreen:

I think I'm going to have to get Marie Kondo's book. It sounds really insightful. I have found that the less decluttered my surroundings are, the happier and less anxious I feel. I never in a million years would have guessed that about myself. I normally don't throw away ANYTHING! And my husband has always teased me about cluttering up the house. Since I started doing this around the house, I have learned one important fact about my marriage....that my husband is actually the CLUTTERER and he is not always right! LOL!

When we did this challenge the very first time, I decluttered a whole room in our house, and I'm not kidding...I think it actually saved us 10's of thousands of dollars which we would have spent had we sold our house to move to a larger one. That first declutter opened up a whole room! I now have a vanity with my make-up, hair dryer and hair products, etc., in that room, and that is where I sip coffee and get ready for work in the morning. I also have an antique dry sink with some art supplies and magazines inside it, along with a basket of more books/magazines next to an antique refinished oak rocking chair for when I sit in there and read or just want to be alone. I have a few old pictures hanging on the wall which I love but don't match the decor in the rest of the house, and an essential oil diffuser that I use for relaxation. It's my "Book Nook" now. Ever since I got myself a whole empty room, I've been hooked on the whole declutter idea, but I still have difficulty letting go of sentimental stuff, so baby steps and I will get there.

Thanks again everyone for your insight. I can't wait to go back and re-read and take notes! :smile:

@PackerFanInGB
    Wow! What a lovely space you created!! How healthy!

Clothing: Yes, I was worried about having nothing to wear, but it’s all working out well. And it changes the whole dressing in the
    Morning from “not this not this doesn’t fit not this don’t like it not this- hate this color” to “Wow so many great things I love to wear!” Really! I have bought 3 pts jeans, 1 sweater, 1 jacket, and 1 dress I. The past 7-8 months. I’ll buy new jeans once I’ve decided on final weight. Sweater & jacket will fit (I bought tight.) might alter or have the dress altered at GW. The rest of my clothing is from when I lost weight about 10 years ago. Glad I saved them
    Even when I thought I’d never wear them again.

Marie Kondo says not to work on decluttering unless you really want to. I think this is great advice.

Sentimental items are done last. I’m holding to this, just stacking them in a closet for now. Over time you get much better at realizing what you love!
    And as you said, you realize how much calmer life is. I used to feel our home as. Heavy weight on me, couldn’t find things, didn’t have folks over.

After about 3 years, I’m now at point where I’m mulling over actually painting walks, new trim, refurbish floors, etc. As I keep
    Just what I love, I’m realizing what I love &
    I’m designing ways to displays some of this in rooms. Also like you thinking of brand new ways to use rooms...might turn dining room into a place where hubby can relax & read his magazines - possibly moving dining table into living room - more open concept. Fun, fun, fun!

All My Best to you!
  • 77tes
    Options

You are right. I read the books out of order, so think of them in the order I read them. I agree that Freckles is terrific as well.
  • themedalist
    Options
    A wonderful update @PackerFanInGB! There’s no right way to declutter... you have to find what works for you. And yes, our seasonal Declutterfests are a great source of motivation, ideas, and resources that can be referred back to over and over again.

And I love hearing your story about how the first Declutterfest impacted you. Gaining a whole room for your use and not having to buy a larger, more expensive home is a fantastic outcome of decluttering!
  • nebslp
    Options
    @MadisonMolly2017 I will definitely be checking the Marie Kondo series! Thanks!!
  • 77tes
    Options
    @MadisonMolly2017 , that sounds great!. Thanks for sharing the good news. I think it would cool to discuss the episodes here
  • themedalist
    Options
    I also think it’s a great idea, @MadisonMolly2017!
  • texasgardnr
    Options
    @MadisonMolly2017, Good idea! I also received that notice from NetFlix. I'm curious how the show will be done because I have read/ listened to her books and I have started slowly using her method a little at a time.

Thanks for posting the information.