diet tips other than low carb

Options
Hi Ladies,

Have you got any diet tips other than low carb? I keep hearing it's a must if you have PCOS..... I tired it, and that was the most miserable month in my life:( I felt horrible, tearful, weak, exhausted, and had horrible headaches. I had to increase a bit (from 20%-30% to 30%-40%), but now I'm not loosing. Well I am, but very very slowly (max 1kg a month with gym 4x a week and 1500 kcal, I'm 178cm tall and 89kg). Any tips would be appreciated x

Replies

• _aenyeweddien_
    _aenyeweddien_ Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    @KnitOrMiss Thank you so much for all the information! As for your question, the only supplement I was taking when I went low carb for a month was a multivitamin, I had no idea about the sodium.....I was drinking plenty of water, I drink approx 3litres daily. As for protein, I got about 80-90g daily, it's very hard to go any higher than that cause I'm a vegeterian allergic to nuts
  • AJB1014
    AJB1014 Posts: 1,380 Member
    Options
    I do everything in moderation - even moderation. I try to keep carbs under 150 regularly - I watch my sugars and have to TRY to get enough protein. I limit dairy, but still enjoy it every now and then, because PIZZA! I take magnesium calm at night to help me sleep, fish oil daily, and a vitamin b complex. I shop for meats at a local slaughterhouse - grass fed, farm raised on site. Veggies/fruits I try to do organic if its on the dirty dozen list. I use LOTS of frozen fruits and steam bag veggies to help supplement local in season purchases though. 1 KG/month is like a .5lb/week if my math is right - which is about the rate I'm currently losing at too. It was closer to 1lb/week in the beginning but its slowed down. I'm also going to echo what @KnitOrMiss mentioned about eating enough calories - MFP has me set to 1430 but I find I do better at 1550-1600.
  • Lipstickcherry
    Lipstickcherry Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    @KnitOrMiss thank you! A lot of good ideas here.
  • KnitOrMiss
    KnitOrMiss Posts: 10,104 Member
    Options
    @_aenyeweddien_

If you were drinking water and NOT supplementing sodium, that basically strip mines your entire body of sodium, then magnesium, and eventually potassium, which results in exactly the symptoms you described, along with a few other doses of misery, depending on how long it goes on...

There are vegetarians and even vegans who do keto, and stay more in the 50 grams of carb range. I think the Keto/Reddit folks have more info on that...though we have a few inactive folks here, too.

And moderation definitely works for some folks. Whatever you do, don't give up trying. And remember that it takes 4-12 weeks to see true results from any changes, so don't forget to give yourself time, too...
  • tmurphy3202
    tmurphy3202 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    My doctor recommended i look into FODMAPS.
    Worth a try.
  • bellaa_x0
    bellaa_x0 Posts: 1,062 Member
    edited January 2019
    Options
    i'm eating 300g carbs a day on my workout days (heavy lifting; 3 20 minute HIIT cardio sessions a week; aim for 10,000 steps per day) and i have PCOS and hashimotos. i've been increasing my calories (and carbs) and lost some weight. you don't necessarily need to eat low carb on PCOS... everyone is different.
  • sardelsa
    sardelsa Posts: 9,812 Member
    edited January 2019
    Options
    Same here @bellaa_x0. I have PCOS and higher protein, moderate carbs and fats works best for me. I don't have IR though so that could be a factor. I think the biggest
    help for me is lifting.. when I take long breaks from lifting I notice some of my symptoms returning, so I will be a lifter for life. I highly recommend giving it a try if you can OP.
  • bellaa_x0
    bellaa_x0 Posts: 1,062 Member
    Options
    @sardelsa agreed - i'm also not IR
  • macchiatto
    macchiatto Posts: 2,890 Member
    Options
    @KnitOrMiss covered everything (and more! She's such a great resource!) that I would have mentioned. Just wanted to ditto her and say keep us posted on what ends up working for you!