What do you wear?

ssnc86
ssnc86 Posts: 3 Member
My first triathlon is in two weeks and I didn't want to blow a ton of money on a new sport and a triathlon suit. I also don't like wearing wetsuits for swimming.

For my triathlon, I decided on wearing some Old Navy brand compression pants, a cotton thong, my normal sports bra, and a rash guard from REI (it's tight enough to swim in fine and it dries quickly, especially when I bike after swimming). I've done two OWSs in this, and haven't had any problems yet. I'm planning on wearing my normal running shoes / socks (after I dry my feet off after the swim).

I went to a triathlon information session (hosted by three men) where, when asked what to wear, the hosts responded, most triathlon tops for women have built in bras. The notion of a "built in bra" makes me laugh - I'm sure there are plenty of women who they fit, but not DD-me! The one triathlon book I've read was written by a man, who was super helpful for a lot of information, just like the info session, but not when it comes to undergarments.

So... what do you other ladies wear for your tris?

Replies

• I found the cheapest pair of tri-shorts online. They have been working out well. I was just going to wear one of my tight running shirts but I joined a training group and broke down and bought one of they tri-tops. I am defiantly wearing a sports bra under. I haven't had any issues yet, but I haven't done a swim then bike/run yet. But it feels fine in the water and out. The girls I've talked to in our training group are wearing sports bras too. So as long as you can move freely and are comfortable wear what you have now. I can't believe the things that I have been buying. I better enjoy this tri and do another one next year. :D
  • aeverton
    aeverton Posts: 359
    For my first couple of tris I wore a sports bra, one piece bathing suit, and tri shorts. I've recently bought a tri top that has a bra built in, I'm small enough that this is fine. If I were bigger, I think I'd wear an additional sports bra.

Angie
  • goodigirl2
    goodigirl2 Posts: 58 Member
    I know it's belated, but I did my first tri in August and am signed up for two this summer. I wore a sports bra (I'm also larger in that area so wear an under-wire racer back one) under my tri-top. It worked great. In fact, I wore a really light racer back top even under the tri top (I'm tall, and the tri-top wasn't quite long enough for me) and everything worked fine. I didn't have too much drag in the water (for a recreational participant) and I dried just fine. I am considering a wet-suit for this year so I can start to swim longer distances in open water, but wouldn't say I needed it. Hope everyone is still training! :)
  • eabernst
    eabernst Posts: 29 Member
    I would avoid anything cotton....chafing, ouch! and anything under your pant/shorts that you'll bike in. no one told me for a long time that you're not supposed to wear underwear under your bike shorts (or tri shorts!)

As for the sports bra, I wear the Title 9 frog bra (which is awesome, by the way) under a tri top (with a built in bra) and lots of body glide.

Unless the water is cold, you don't need a wetsuit. I've done most of my races without (only ones with have had colder water)