Eating back calories burned

sazzyanne14
sazzyanne14 Posts: 77 Member
I was just wondering what everyone's opinions are on eating back calories burned ??

I personally don't do it myself (well I try not to) but wanted to hear the opinions of others to see if I should change my habits to see better results.

Replies

• megsmom2
    megsmom2 Posts: 2,362 Member
    I do...its how MFP is designed to work the most effectively and makes it easy to live with. No food or treat is off limits because I can make allowances for anything...and don't have the problems that underrating causes---which is what happens if you don't eat your burn.
  • AZ_Danny
    AZ_Danny Posts: 50 Member
    My only issue isn't with the actual eating of burned calories... after all, if I burn enough calories, I allow myself some ice cream (which is always my diet downfall). HOWEVER, I highly doubt the calorie estimates for exercises that MFP calculates... they seem awfully high
  • sazzyanne14
    sazzyanne14 Posts: 77 Member
    I've been wearing a heart rate monitor whilst exercising and the calories that it says I've burned pretty much coincides with the averages I've been told by a personal trainer, i.e. roughly 650 calories burned on a 30 minute run (5k).

I think I might give it until the end of august and then use the burned calories for a treat each day.
  • I sometimes eat them back, sometimes not. It depends on if I'm hungry or not, but I never eat back "just because"! It's working well for me, but I think it all depends on the person :)
  • DiamondRidge
    DiamondRidge Posts: 62 Member
    If I'm hungry, I eat them back. If I'm not, I don't. I do recommend wearing a HRM to double check some of MFP's numbers. They tend to overestimate calories burned on a bunch of activities. I go by my HRM if there is a disagreement.
  • Pcskvcs2014
    Pcskvcs2014 Posts: 2 Member
    I have thought about this as well... I figure that my regular calorie count sustains me without exercise and when I do exercise and eat those calories earned then I really didn't burn any of my body weight calories. Am I correct in assuming this theory? I was under the impression that one has to burn more calories than consumed in order to lose weight.
  • AZ_Danny
    AZ_Danny Posts: 50 Member
    I won't eat them back, but if I have, say 200 calories and work off a couple hundred more, I may have a little ice cream. As long as I can have a calorie deficit at the end of the day
  • twandatyw
    twandatyw Posts: 2 Member
    I never eat them all back but allow myself some. Kind of a reward for working hard.
  • I try to eat back my calories burned so I'm at my calorie intake goal as calculated by MFP. However, I do supect that MFP calculated calories burned are very high.
    As someone else said, I only eat them back if I'm hungry, not just because I can.