Decide to Lift in December

Options
hanlonsk
hanlonsk Posts: 762 Member
In the same vein as “if you build it, they will come,” I am trying for “if I build it, I will do.”

Fighting a mother of a cold this week, but we are also slated for like 6-10 inches of snow today, so, it’s not like I’m going anywhere. So maybe I will do a spread out slo mo workout by the end of the day.

Replies

• lkpducky
    lkpducky Posts: 16,763 Member
    Options
    Great thread title @hanlonsk !
    Oh no on the cold, feel better soon!
    Still got hamstring/adductor DOMS from Thursday's workout (morning lifting, afternoon running). We have a long walk planned for today.
  • hanlonsk
    Options
    Ok, so build it and I will do, actually worked... although it was in pieces throughout the day... like literally hours...went for light weight volume. Because the cold would make me sad if I went for heavy. The advantage to my lonely little home gym... I can wander off and come back, repeatedly.

Super set x10 (I am calling these supersets, but really were just alternating sets sometimes each exercise and then a break, sometimes a break after each thing)
    Bench press 10 @ 65
    Up-downs x 10 (burpees without the push-up) and I only did 2 sets to the floor- runny nose and congestion didn’t like that, so the other sets were to a 14 inch box

Super set x 10
    10 seated incline dumbbell press with 20lb dumbbells
    10 “dumbbell flies” with 10 lb plates (I apparently do have more need for lighter dumbbells than I thought.)
  • R2che
    R2che Posts: 189 Member
    Options
    Hellooooo

Yesterday I did...
    67.5kg 5x5 on the squat, with 26kg dB squats in between sets
    35kg on the bench press with leg raises in between
    42.5kg row with 8kg bd flys in between.
    I also did a 45 minute spinning class. Yesterday was hard! :)

Managed to go up to 70kg on the squat today. Very pleased with that. Did the normal 5x5
    25kg 5x5 overhead press, I find this the hardest of all the weights, my shoulders seem to be my weakest part.
    And I dropped down to 65kg o the deadlift and did 10 reps.
    I did a few active recovery moves in between too.

Rest day tomorrow, definitely ready for it this week x
  • hanlonsk
    Options
    I shoveled snow... and more snow... and more snow. Yeah, volume on the chesticles was maybe not my best thougt out plan, knowing what awaited me. But I got it done, and tomorrow me won’t have to be cussing while schoveling out the car, in the dark, before coffee.

Then I randomly got the urge to break out beachbody core de force. Maybe because it Is obvious that this snow won’t be melting any time soon, as no above freezing temps in the forecast this week. And since I won’t be running, perhaps that was my brain’s way of suggesting my fat butt still needed some cardio??
  • lkpducky
    Options
    Warmup 5 minutes elliptical
    Then
    Close grip lat pulldowns (palms forward) 3 x 8 @ 65 lb
    DB bench press 25 lb 1 x 8, 1 x 6, 1 x 7, 1 x 6, 1 x 7
    Romanian deadlifts 2 x 8 @ 60 lb
    Seated rows 3 x 8 @ 50 lb
    Goblet squats 1 x 10 @ 22.5 lb, 1 x 10 @ 25 lb, 2 x 10 @ 27.5 lb
    OHP 2 x 8, 1 x 6 @ 12.5 lb db
  • R2che
    Options
    Evening all.

I think I’ve sprained my chuffing wrist :(

Anyway I only did the lifts that didn’t pull on it and make it hurt this evening.

I did 5 mins warm up on a spinning bike

5x5 squats at 70kg
    Bench press 5x5 at 35kg and barbell row at 40kg

I did a few flies @6kg dB andsome leg raises. Gutted I couldn’t do anymore but there’s always next time!
    Xx
  • hanlonsk
    edited December 2018
    Options
    I had a bonus day today. Which is good... because I REALLY needed groceries- since 8+ inches of snow derailed that plan this weekend. But I lifted while listening to the rememberance service that granted me my bonus day. My goal was to keep lifting from when I was ready to go, until the service was over... ended up needing to get going to the bigger town a bit before then, but almost made it.

Super setted squats, alternating ground to overhead dumbbell presses, and band assisted pull-ups.
    All pull-ups were with purple AND green band (ugh) 5 each round
    Presses were a 20 lb dumbbell, and then last two rounds I graduated to my 25 lb kettlebell, 5 each side, per round
    Squats
    10 @ 45
    5 @ 50
    5 @ 55
    5 @ 60
    5 @ 65
    5 @ 70
    5 @ 75
    5 @ 80
    5 @ 85
    So, I guess I did 9 rounds of the super sets? Then I realized about here I needed to get going, so I modified my plan a bit. Because by goodness I was going to get my squat back over 100 lbs. so with no other stuff I did:
    5 @ 95
    5 @ 105

I should have just done 100, as my depth and other key form points were not great at 105, but my brain didn’t want BARELY 100... it wanted more, so I did more. (Translation, last set was an ego lift, oops.). But, it also wasn’t terrible. My next 5x5 of squats I might try 85 or 95 and see how that treats me.
  • lkpducky
    Options
    @R2che sorry to hear about your wrist! it's really something you could do anything at all! a couple of years ago I sprained both wrists in a fall and could not do any upper body work.

Wow on the super sets @hanlonsk !

Just got back.
    Close forward grip lat pulldowns 1 x 15 @ 60 lb, 3 x 10 @ 65 lb
    Bent-over rows 3 x 10 @ 50 lb
    Romanian deadlifts 2 x 8 @ 60 lb, 1 x 7 @ 70 lb (I had to use the curl bars - explanation below)
    DB bench press 3 x 8 @ 25 lb
    Seated rows 2 x 10 @ 50 lb, 1 x 8 @ 60 lb
    Goblet squats 1 x 12 @ 25 lb, 2 x 10 @ 27.5 lb, 1 x 10 @ 30 lb

I didn't feel so much sore as stiff after that, and shaky as I went down the stairs. The weights are all on the third floor. The first floor has some of the cardio and the personal trainer section.
  • R2che
    Options
    @lkpducky Thank you. It’s much better than it was, I cant do the over head press with a barbell at all, it seems to be the flicking the bar over onto your hands that’s the painful pit, not the actual picking it up. It’s very frustrating! I’m enjoying lifting heavy so much I don’t want to have to give any of it up for even one day haha. Instead of the over head press I did a over head press on an incline with dumbbells and that seemed to work ok. Wasn’t the same obviously but at least I tried.

Yesterday I did a 45 min spinning class in the morning and my usual (Ish) lifting programme in the evening.

Squats 5x5 at 70kg
    Instead of doing the overhead press I did a bench press 5x5 at 32.5kg
    Deadlift 10 x 65kg

I did some leg raises and an overhead press on the incline bench at 5x5 with 8kg dumbbells.

Spinning again tonight. 😁

• lkpducky
    Options
    Great lifting day @R2che!

I'm having trouble as I lift more weight on the deadlift. The weight pulls my shoulders forward so I have trouble keeping my upper back straight. I really make an effort to keep my shoulders back. Also, as I go forward, I find myself locking my knees because I think that if I bend my knees I will fall forward. How does anyone deadlift more than they can lift with their upper body without their shoulders rolling forward?
  • hanlonsk
    Options
    Today was bench redemption. It wasn’t pretty, but no roll of shame.

Bench
    10 @ 45
    10 @ 65
    5 x 5 @ 100

One arm dumbbell rows 2 x 10 @ 20 lbs, 1 x 10 @ 25 lbs

Then some deadlifts @ 65lbs and 155lbs to try and get ideas into words to answer @lkpducky ‘s question.

So, for the following... read at your own risk. These are things that help MY brain to muscle connection, may not help yours. I am not a trainer nor in anyway otherwise qualified to give good advice! But, maybe something will help.

@lkpducky - you know that feeling you get of pinching your shoulder blades together on a row? I try and get that feeling and keep it as I’m setting up for my deadlift. I think it is @krokador who suggests trying to put your shoulder blades in your back pockets. Regardless, I think maybe the idea of focusing on your shoulder blades, rather than the shoulder joint as a whole, may help.

Do you do barbell shoulder shrugs? Like I hate the “bro-ness” of dumbbell ones, but they have their place, but shrugs with a barbell could help you think about the shoulder position/shoulder strengthwhile having the bar in your hands like you would on a deadlift.

As for the knee locking... do you do conventional or sumo? Or really more, how far apart are your feet? What is your toe angle? If you are not in a solid position, it does end up feeling unstable. Do you do paused deadlifts ever? Those would give you a pause, with knees still bent bent, to think of If your shoulders are still in place, and do you feel stable. And if not, what needs to change to help either of those things.
    Something my really good trainer did to me, to get me to sit back more in my actual set up, is he attached bands to the rack, and looped it to the barbell, makes you think about sitting back in your set up, and makes you think about your not tipping over stability. It may help with some brain to muscle connection on what bit is feeling unstable. I will see if I can get a logical video of this posted.

The other one I will try and post a video of, for shoulder stability/flat back/soft knees is one I haven’t done for forever.... it is a bent over row to deadlift combo. So do a bent over row, when the weight touches the ground, go straight into a deadlift. Because you can’t go from one to the other unless you are in a position of stability for both movements.

Lastly, while you are working on these things, drop the weight back. Because even the focus it takes to think about some of these things makes it harder. Like, even while I was doing reps to put things into words, I didn’t go to my heaviest, because I would have hurt myself.
  • hanlonsk
    edited December 2018
    Options

Ok @lkpducky if this works, this is the band thing, and the row to deadlift thing.

The band thing works better if you have two matching bands, and can hook to something heavier than a bench. But, I only have one of each band, so I improvised.
  • lkpducky
    Options
    @hanlonsk that bent-over-row and deadlift looks like it will help me a lot! I was always worried that I was bending my legs too much when getting low enough to pick up the barbell. I had thought that you were supposed to have straight legs when reaching down to grab the barbell, but if I did that, my back would be parallel to the floor and I would not be able to lift anything off the floor.
    I was thinking about whether barbell shrugs would make me strong enough to help me keep my shoulders straight. I will try them. thanks!
  • hanlonsk
    Options
    @lkpducky - straight leg deadlifts are a thing, and are something I should do more... but for instance, when I was deadlifting 205, my straight leg deadlifts were more like 75-85 lbs.
    but due to flexibility, I actually don’t drop my butt as low in my set up as one actually should in regular deadlifts.
    Do you watch powerlifting videos?
  • lkpducky
    Options
    I do watch them to try and get the hang of form. Just a matter of my weak parts trying to do as they're doing.
    I have the least flexible hamstrings...BAH
    Today's session:
    Close forward grip lat pulldowns 1 x 12 @ 55 lb, 1 x 10 @ 60 lb, 2 x 10 @ 65 lb, 1 x 8 @ 70 lb
    Tried bent-over rows at 60 lb and barely made it through one set.
    Gave up (later did seated rows instead) and used that barbell for 3 x 8 Romanian deadlifts. Felt them in my upper back as well as legs.
    Then used the 60-lb barbell again for 3 x 8 shrugs
    DB bench press 3 x 8 @ 25 lb I seem to be stuck
    Seated rows 1 x 10 @ 50 lb, 3 x 10 @ 60 lb making some progress
    Goblet squats 1 x 10 @ 27.5 lb, 2 x 10 @ 30 lb, 1 x 10 @ 32.5 lb
    I hate cutting, it's making me grouchy and tired and hungry.
  • hanlonsk
    Options
    Today almost looked like I had a plan... I wish it was true.

1.6 mile wog. I bumped up my intervals to 3 run 2 walk again. Run may be a bit of a generous term when one is fat, out of shape, in yak tracks, on ice.

5x10 w/ 5lb plates of: lateral raises, front raises, rear delta flys
    5x 10 body weight squats, holding a band, to try and make brain to muscle connection for asstograss

OHP
    5 @ 45
    Then plate math fail- you would think I could math one plate. But apparently not.
    So, instead of 50lbs, I did my 5x5 @ 55. And it worked, if not very pretty.

Then dead bugs for some ab work.
  • hanlonsk
    Options
    It’s cold and snowy and I had a case of the don’t wannas. So I did a something instead of a nothing.
    10 hangy downy stretches with the bar.
    10 good mornings with the bar
    Deadlifts
    10 @ 65
    5 @ 115
    5 @ 155
    5 x 5 @ 165

5 x 5 hanging leg lifts
  • lkpducky
    Options
    Running workout today. I had lifted two days ago and did nothing yesterday (worked all day).
    So my legs felt very heavy at first. Ran 4.2 miles including 4 x 0.4 miles at 5k race pace. When I slowed after the first 0.4 mile repeat, my right leg felt pressure/fatigue starting in the hip flexor and radiating down. But that went away each time I ran fast. I felt fine by the last repeat.

Will do full body lifting tomorrow.

You did a good something @hanlonsk !
  • lkpducky
    Options
    Yesterday's workout:

Seated rows 1 x 15 @ 40 lb, 1 x 10 @ 50 lb, 3 x 8 @ 60 lb
    DB Bench press 25 lb 1 x 10, 1 x 9, 1 x 8, 1 x 7
    Romanian deadlift 3 x 8 @ 70 lb my shoulders and upper back were better this time
    Barbell shrugs 3 x 8 @ 70 lb
    Goblet squats 1 x 10 @ 27.5 lb, 1 x 10 @ 30 lb, 3 x 10 @ 35 lb improving
    Lat pulldowns 1 x 10 @ 60 lb, 2 x 8 @ 70 lb

When I was at the bench for bench press, a guy who looked in his 60's at the next bench said my form was good and I looked determined.

Even though I lifted more this time, I didn't feel as shaky. No DOMS later yesterday or today. I'll run today and see how I feel.
  • R2che
    Options
    Hey all.
    Sorry I’ve been quiet. Very busy week!

Squatted 75kg this morning
    35kg on the bench press
    42.5kg on the row.

Yesterday I worked really hard and I’m sure I’ve found muscles I didn’t know I had! I ache everywhere today. Not that I’m moaning!

Still can’t do overhead press, my wrist just won’t take it. I can do the overhead press with dumbells just not the barbell :neutral: boooo