Best macro break down for a runner?

Options
FL_Hiker
FL_Hiker Posts: 919 Member
Hi y’all,
I’m curious what macro percentage most long distance runners aim for? Right now I’m training for my first marathon, I’ve been struggling to hit protein goals but finally found some protein powder I like and I’m improving on that. I realize how important protein is for recovery . However just out of personal preference my fat seems to be a bit high and my carb intake on the lower side. I just eat what I crave and try my best to eat nutritious (doesn’t always happen, especially this time of year with Christmas cookies.). Any benefits to a higher fat diet when running? Or should I really be looking to increase my carb macros to benefit my long runs? I do take Gu on my runs and I read some article saying that nullifies carb loading pre race because they supply you all you need anyways, is this true? I know very little about nutrition and would love to learn more, especially from those who have been running for a while.
Thanks for your help!

Replies

• dewd2
    dewd2 Posts: 2,449 Member
    Options
    I try to hit my protein goals first (I don't always succeed). I aim for about 100g (+/- 20g) per day (I am 160 pounds). I try to get some healthy fats in my diet (and sometimes supplement with fish oil) and the rest is carbs.

I have read the same about carbo loading. In one of Matt Fitzgerald's books he recommends going low carb for a few days before the race and then going high carb just before the race. I considered this but I am not that disciplined. :)

I only use GU (or now Maurten) on runs that take more than 2 hours (except when it is very hot I take Tailwind with me).

I'm probably not the best example of how to eat but it has worked so far. I wish I was more disciplined but it is what it is.
  • MobyCarp
    MobyCarp Posts: 2,927 Member
    Options
    Personal opinion: Percentages of macros are over-rated for long distance runners. If you're training for a marathon, you're going to be burning an awful lot of calories. There will be some minimum amount of protein you need, some minimum amount of fat you need, and (assuming you're not on a keto or fat-adapted running kick) some minimum amount of carbs you need. The sum of this will likely add up to fewer calories than you need to maintain your weight while doing a marathon training plan; it doesn't much matter where you get the excess. (Don't go overboard with junk, of course!)

For my personal needs, I try to get a minimum of 150g of protein and 60g of fat each day, and let the carbs take care of themselves. Right now, I'm taking off the last pound I gained while injured and targeting 40 miles of running per week. That gives me 2900 calories per day to slowly lose that last pound. When it comes off, and I get into the heart of training for Boston, I may be targeting 3200 or 3300 calories per day, plus a little more for long runs or speed workouts. I will still target a minimum of 150g of protein and 60g of fat, and I won't much worry about what makes up the extra 300 or 400 calories per day compared to what I'm eating now.

GU does not eliminate the need for carb loading, or perhaps calorie loading, before a marathon. Since I've concentrated on that, I've found I need fewer gels while running the race and finish in better shape than when I just eat to maintain right up to race day. The specifics on how this works are highly individualistic; what works well for one runner may not be what works best for another. You just have to try different things and find out what works for you.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    edited December 2018
    Options
    As long as I eat enough food in general the day before a long run (10 miles plus) and get my 100g of protein on a run day, i dont worry too much really.

I like a good amount of fat for satiety anyway and then it's just about getting enough carbs to keep the runger at bay!

I usually have a banana after a run - it's supposed to be good for recovery - and it's goid carbs. I have it with peanut butter if I'm hungry.