Home vs gym

Options
pandorakick
pandorakick Posts: 901 Member
I've been working out with dumbbells from home. I really love that I can roll out of bed, do my workout thing and start the rest of my day without any travelling. However, I'm slowly approaching the limits of dumbbells for some of the exercises. Take for example the SLDL: at 42 kg total weight, balancing and grip is becoming more a challenge then it would be using a barbell.
So.... I'm mentally preparing myself to join a gym for my lifting workouts, sometime this or next month. :ohwell:

I guess I will have to re-learn the exercises, to do them properly using barbells. I must admit that I'm feeling rather anxious about the prospect.... :embarassed:

So to ease my mind, would you please tell me about your first time(s) in the weight lifting area?

Replies

• puppy_amor
    puppy_amor Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    I was really intimidated the first time I tried to workout in the weight area of the gym, but I realized that everyone just does their own thing and is not really concerned with what you are doing. Most people are also still learning and dont have perfect form on every exercise so everyone is in the same boat!
  • claston77
    claston77 Posts: 103 Member
    Options

I guess I will have to re-learn the exercises, to do them properly using barbells. I must admit that I'm feeling rather anxious about the prospect.... :embarassed:

So to ease my mind, would you please tell me about your first time(s) in the weight lifting area?

I felt a bit of nerves too and I hired a trainer for one session. I was clear that I wanted someone to walk me through a specific list of exercises I had to check form and I even bought my tablet with the videos of correct from for him to view before I agreed to hire him. In the end he was quite terrible as far as being able to show me the correct form but being with him in the free weight area was a good way to familiarize myself with the squat rack and the proper way to adjust the pins and load the bar without looking like a total n00b :laugh: I basically had an hour to figure out where everything I needed to complete my workout was located and get the general "vibe" of the place. After that session getting to know the area I was confident enough, but still nervous, to drop the trainer, come back two days later to test my 10rm and press on from there.
  • pandorakick
    pandorakick Posts: 901 Member
    Options
    In the end he was quite terrible as far as being able to show me the correct form but being with him in the free weight area was a good way to familiarize myself with the squat rack and the proper way to adjust the pins and load the bar without looking like a total n00b
    This is an important part for me, perhaps a good idea to have someone show me around :happy: