Options
    Super busy couple of weeks for me.
    I still alternating between Kelsey wells #PWR and stronglifts 5x5
    Loving them both. Will update soon... ❤️
  • lkpducky
    lkpducky Posts: 16,755 Member
    Options
    SL 5x5 today

OHP 30 lb 5 x 5 I am not sure my form is right, I put my head back a bit so I wouldn't ram myself in the chin.
    RDL 80 lb 1 x 5
    Goblet squats 1 x 10 @ 35 lb warmup, 3 x 5 @ 45 lb, 2 x 5 @ 47.5 lb (I had a fleeting sensation that I was going to tip over backwards when stepping back after getting the DB off the rack). I'm probably reaching a limit for my upper body.
  • lkpducky
    Options
    Someone was doing front raises with 20-lb dumbbells while balancing on a BOSU ball. And some time ago I saw a guy back-squatting 225 lb while balancing on a BOSU ball! Uh, WHY...?
  • hanlonsk
    hanlonsk Posts: 762 Member
    Options
    @lkpducky - if you had to move your head out of the way of the bar path, your for, is probably close to right at least!

I made it to the gym today. Saw lots of my powerlifting buddies. Did some lifting with a couple of them.
    Then did some cardio.

Then did some bench.
    10 @ 45
    5 @ 65
    5 @ 85
    5 @ 95
    5 @ 100
    3 @ 105
    1 @ 110
    1 @ 115
    1 @ 120
    1 roll of shame @ 125
    1 scary unrollable shame @ 125

I learned things today. I thought I just got too excited and didn’t rest long enough on the first one. Should have found even an unwilling spotter. But I didn’t. Why don’t commercial gyms have safeties on benches, by the way? But yeah, based on how 120 felt, I had thought I was going to be making it all the way to 135 again finally, but no such luck. I also learned it’s more dangerous to almost get the darn thing racked, then to miss entirely. My first miss was a simple roll of shame. My second one, I got half the bar racked... but then I couldn’t even roll... it was terrible, and someone did save me, but it spooked me. Grrr.... then 5 minutes later people I knew and would have trusted to spot me were in the gym.
  • lkpducky
    Options
    I hate barbell bench work, because I am never sure I will get the bar onto both pins (looking crazily left-right-left-right). No safety cage for bench press in my gym either! Even when the weight is lighter, I have trouble balancing the bar. Hence I've been sticking to db bench press.
  • Llamapants86
    Llamapants86 Posts: 1,221 Member
    Options
    Squat 3 day
    125 lbs x 3, 145 lbs x 3, 165 lbs x 4, I probably could have gotten 5 on that last one, but my heart just wasn't really into it

Circuit x 3
    Step ups 4 @ 25 lbs
    Calf Raises 4 @25 lbs
    Assisted Chin-ups x 8
    Hip Thrusts x 15
  • R2che
    R2che Posts: 189 Member
    Options
    This morning I did the pwr programme.
    4 minutes alternating between push ups for 15 reps and 10 burpees
    Then 4 minutes of bent leg raises for 15 reps and mountain climbers 40 reps
    Underhand bicep curl 15/12/12/10 reps at 11.75kg
    Crunch on the cable machine 12/10/10 at 28kg
    Alternating bicep curl 12/10/10 reps at 8kg

Then 5 minutes of alternating tricep dips 15 reps and tricep extension 10 reps at 10kg
    Then 5 minutes of bent leg rises 20 reps and mountain climbers again 40 reps.

Itsss alllll goooddddd x
  • hanlonsk
    Options
    So, still not on anything resembling a program. Mostly still doing the “work on what sounds fun so you at least go to the gym.” Which surprisingly, squats sounded fun today. Something must be wrong.

Squats
    5 @ 45
    5 @ 65
    5 @ 85
    5 @ 95
    3 @ 105
    1 @ 110
    1 @ 115
    1 @ 120
    1 @ 125
    1 @ 135
    2!! @ 135
    So, first of all, these all felt really good. I have pictures/video starting at 120- and my form is better at 125 than it was last month at 65 (when I bailed at 65 after seeing my form in the mirror). Not saying it was excellent form, but I was wayyy better than I ever have been at that weight. And the 135... I don’t remember the last time I attempted squatting that, let alone it ever feeling that good. My depth wasn’t quite there... but it wasn’t terrible... still better than 65 was a month ago. Squat therapy is doing me some good. May try to include pictures in a seperate post. Phone not playing nice.

OHP
    5 @ 45
    5 @ 55
    5 x 5 @ 60
    Wasn’t completely solid. A little too much lean back on the tail end of the last sets, and also a little too close to push press at the end of those sets. But very very happy with these.

Then treadmill intervals.
  • hanlonsk
    Options
    iedlrd9cmpsh.png
    7fr8ef1zrtc2.png

Photos at 125 and 135... BIG KID PLATES!!!
  • lkpducky
    Options
    Well Done @hanlonsk !! woot woot!
    Going to do SL today - bench press, rows, squats. We'll see how it goes.
    Last night we went to the hot tub. I hadn't worn my swimsuit since November. It slipped on more easily last night!
  • lkpducky
    edited January 2019
    Options
    DB bench press 1 x 10 @ 27.5 lb, 1 x 8 @ 27.5, 5 x 5 @ 30 lb I am still iffy on them
    Bent-over rows 5 x 5 @ 70 lb the upper left part of my butt is bothering me
    Goblet squats 1 x 10 @ 35 lb, 5 x 5 @ 45 lb
    A guy at the next bench (looked in his 60's or so, I see him around quite a bit) said I was doing well, asked me how many times per week I lifted, what I ate for breakfast (I had lowfat cheese and Canadian bacon on whole wheat Dave's Killer Bread), recommended PB/protein powder and oatmeal, asked me if I do inclines as well as flat bench press
    Lat pulldowns 1 x 10 @ 60 lb, 5 x 5 @ 80 lb
  • SJKirk51912
    SJKirk51912 Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    Hello everyone. I joined the group 4 (?) years ago when I started StrongLifts but then life got in the way and I stopped for a LONG time. But today was my first day back. I had told myself that I was going to lose weight before I joined the gym and started the program again, but the weight just wasn't moving anywhere so I said heck with it. I hate the first day/week because I am only lifting the bar and small plates, but I guess you have to start (again) somewhere.

Workout A
    SQ - 5x5 @ 45#
    BP - 5x5 @ 45#
    BR - 5x5 @ 65#

Squats were much harder than I expected. I've always been pretty strong in my legs, so I was caught off guard at my lack of strength.
  • lkpducky
    Options
    The gym / shopping center parking lot was jammed (probably because of the holiday, it's not usually crowded at 10:30) and people were coming in from different directions! I gave up and parked on the street. The gym was crawling with people but I managed to get my lifts done, although I had trouble getting enough space to do so. One guy was standing right in front of the dumbbell rack when doing curls, staring at himself in the mirror.

OHP warmup 1 x 12 @ 10 lb db, tried to lift 17.5 lb db but couldn't, did 3 x 8 @ 12.5 lb. Wanted to try the 15's but they were all taken by supersetters.
    RDL 1 x 5 @ 80 lb. Pain in my left glute after that. Won't it ever heal?
    Goblet squat 1 x 10 @ 35 lb warmup, 5 x 5 @ 47.5 lb was very difficult for me but my legs don't feel sore or wobbly afterwards. Does that mean I should do 5 more sets? I am making progress.
  • lkpducky
    Options
    Got a pulled muscle in my left outer glutes so I tried to work around it. I thought that leg curls and extensors would isolate the hamstrings and quads so there would be no problem.
    Leg curls: 5 x 5 @ 40 lb glute was not so bad, a bit of a twinge
    Leg extensors 1 x 10 @ 45 lb, 5 x 5 @ 50 lb each leg. It DID hurt.
    The only good news is that I can climb stairs without a problem, so I will do that in the meantime so I don't lose leg muscles.
    DB bench press: 5 x 5 @ 30 lb
    Bent over rows hurt the area so I did one-arm rows instead.
    5 x 5 @ 32.5 lbs each side
    Forward close grip lat pulldowns (pull-up-like motion) 1 x 10 @ 70 lb, 4 x 5 @ 80 lb, 2 x 5 @ 85 lb, 1 x 5 @ 90 lb (just barely managed the last set).
  • lkpducky
    Options
    I have to stay away from lower body (except unweighted squats) because my left lower back and glute hurt! BAH

Reverse grip lat pulldowns 1 x 10 @ 70 lb, 1 x 10 @ 80 lb, 1 x 4 @ 90 lb, 5 x 5 @ 85 lb
    DB bench press 5 x 5 @ 30 lb
    One armed rows 1 x 8, 4 x 5 32.5 lb
    Back to DB bench press did 1 x 5 @ 32.5 lb
    But it hurts when I lower myself getting in position for bench press
    BAH!!!!! going to call the doctor on Monday
  • hanlonsk
    Options
    So, I have been kind of lifting, but not checking in. - for no real good reason, just didn’t, not like I haven’t had time on my hands.

One session on ummm Monday? Was chest and tri’s. Was having fun having accessory stuff available. Top bench set was six?? (I lost count, so I hedged my bets for 5) Sets of 3, and the last set was 4, at 105. Wasn’t quite sure I could 5x5 at that weight and was still a bit fresg from my rolls of shame, and didn’t want an act 2.

Then I got called back to work. I really didn’t want to lift when I got back home but I did some tiny little row workout at 65lbs

Today I talked myself into deadlift and pull up work. It started off really rough and weak, and actually got better as I went along. My grip sucked to start with, and I needed my green and my purple band on the pull-ups. And I even used straps on deadlift weight I knew I could do (like this iteration not last year could do). But by the end I was down to my green and black bands at least, and just mixed grip on a higher deadlift weight.

10 straight leg deadlifts @65
    5 deadlifts @65
    5 pull-ups(g&p)
    5 deadlifts @115
    5 pull-ups (g&p)
    3 deadlifts @155
    5 deadlifts @155 (straps)
    5pullups(g&p)
    5 chin-ups
    5 deadlifts @165 (straps)
    5 pull-ups(g&p)
    5 chin-ups
    5 deadlifts @165 (mix grip)
    5 pull-ups (g&p)
    5chibups
    5 deadlifts (chalk & weak side mix grip)
    5 pull-ups (g&p)
    5chinups
    5 deadlifts (mix grip)
    5 pull-ups (g &b)

• lkpducky
    Options
    @SJKirk51912 you'll be back up at full strength before you know it!
    @hanlonsk that is a heck of a workout right there.

Going to the doc Thursday to have my left hip looked at.
  • SJKirk51912
    SJKirk51912 Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    Day 5 of StrongLifts

SQ: 65# 5x5
    BP: 55# 5x5
    BR: 75# 5x5
  • lkpducky
    Options
    @SJKirk51912 movin' on up!

Waiting for my back to get better. I threw it out yesterday when I did a pushup. started PT yesterday and will see the doc tomorrow.
    Signed, one (1) unamused duck
  • lkpducky
    edited February 2019
    Options
    YAY even with my back acting up, I can do other lifts. what a relief!

Unweighted squats 2 x 20
    Deloaded on goblet squats, partial, not to parallel 3 x 8 @ 25 lb
    Deloaded on close forward grip lat pulldowns 1 x 15 @ 55 lb, 1 x 10 @ 60 lb, 3 x 10 @ 70 lb
    OHP 1 x 10 @ 10 lb dbs, 1 x 10 @ 12.5 lb db, 5 x 5 @ 15 lb db
    Could not do bench press because my back hurts lying down and getting up from the bench
    Chest machine instead 3 x 8 with 20 lb each side
    Tricep pulldowns 2 x 8 @ 25 lb right armpit strained so I stopped