Runners knee

Options
FL_Hiker
FL_Hiker Posts: 919 Member
edited January 2019 in Social Groups
Hi there,
Over a week ago while running I felt a sudden sharp pain in my left knee on an 18 mile run, I just got over the flu and hadn’t ran in a while. I figured I pushed it too hard after not running for a while and rested for the weekend. The knee was purple and swollen twice its size. Come Monday I couldn’t walk or put any weight on the leg still so I went to an orthopedic. I went out to eat that day as well and sitting down was extremely painful. Walking down stairs is not difficult at all. They only took x rays (no MRI) and the doctor said it was Patellofemoral Pain Syndrome in my knee cap (runners knee). Back in 2011 I was running and had pain in my knees and the orthopedic then said it was Chondromalicia. The current orthopedic I saw told me to rest for the week, gave me a cortisone shot which helped for the day and reduced the pain significantly and said it was fine to walk and I should be good to go in a week and I’d be fine to run my marathon. He also gave me a list of physical therapy exercises which I’ve been doing every day to strengthen my quads, etc.. Over a week later my knee still feels weird , and after 30 minutes of walking I feel a sharp pain on the inner side of the knee.. I’m also now experiencing knee buckling and numbness, cramping in the toes on that foot. The toes on that leg have been bunched up cramped since the injury and purple, while the other leg the toes are relaxed and normal colored. I do have raynauds syndrome so I don’t know if it’s just that condition flaring up or some sort of nerve thing going on...? I’ve been RICEing the injury all week as well. If you were in my shoes would you go back for an MRI or give this more time? MRI isn’t covered by our insurance and would be about $600 out of pocket so I’m hesitant... at this point considering deferring the race to next year and just giving it more rest maybe? Anyone have experience with runners knee and did the symptoms sound like mine? I’m beyond frustrated and bored, I miss running so much it’s my sanity...!
Thanks for your insight!

PS the doctor also gave me a big knee brace to wear with a hole for the knee cap, but it HURTS!!! It makes it even more painful when I walk.. I assume braces aren’t supposed to hurt? Back in 2011 the other orthopedic told me to never wear a brace for my knee as well? Oddly enough it was the same practice (different doctors) so maybe times have changed...?