What's on your mind today?

Options
RangerRickL
RangerRickL Posts: 8,469 Member
This is where you can share what's on your mind. Recipes, ideas, workouts, anything that you think might be helpful to others.

Maybe, you've tried something that has worked for you in the past and would like to share it with the group. Maybe, you have a NSV (Non Scale Victory) that you would like to share with the group. Anything that you feel comfortable sharing or anything that you feel comfortable asking the group with help....this is the place to come.

The GOOD!! What NSV did you have this week!!
The BAD!! So what....you ate the whole thing!!
The UGLY!! That darn scale went through the window this week....it deserved it too!!

So, what's on your mind today??

Replies

• vanityy99
    vanityy99 Posts: 2,583 Member
    Options
    Starting February I will start counting calories. I have before but never a long streak or missed something. I like a lil challenge so I joined this group. Will I miss a day? We shall see.
  • KCJen
    KCJen Posts: 1,089 Member
    Options
    @jan110144 I love that "focus on consistency, not perfection"!!
  • PartyPerson
    PartyPerson Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    Success is the result of small things repeated daily...decided to start my exercise challenge today, good grief it was tough - this challenge might be the end of me...
  • Shutterbuggg
    Shutterbuggg Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    Success is the result of small things repeated daily...decided to start my exercise challenge today, good grief it was tough - this challenge might be the end of me...

Or it could be the new begining ;)
  • BMcC9
    BMcC9 Posts: 4,380 Member
    Options
    May your year of February be better ....
  • KCJen
    Options
    Anyone a treadmill person, walker, jogger, runner?

I have a question and wanted to ask everyone. I am starting to get back on my treadmill. Usually, I feel my calf muscles getting tight when I walk on the treadmill after I have increased my speed or the incline. However lately I am starting to feel the front of my leg, I guess it is my shin muscle starting to hurt (below the knee but above the ankle on the front part of the leg).

I am assuming this is because I am trying to push myself and get the speed up. Any kind of suggested stretches or any advise to help with this I would appreciate it. I don't want to push myself on this new muscle pain until I figure out more about it because I don't want downtime from the treadmill.

• BMcC9
    Options
    KCJen wrote: »
    Any kind of suggested stretches or any advise to help with this I would appreciate it. I don't want to push myself on this new muscle pain until I figure out more about it because I don't want downtime from the treadmill.

Searching "shin splints" on google will probably yield confirmation on what it is AND suggested strategies to relieve / avoid.

Without researching .... a stretch that occurs to me would be (while seated or well balanced - hand on wall or chair - on the other foot ... ) point your toe with enough effort to arch the foot, and hold

Think of how a heel-drop calf stretch works, when you pull your toes towards you and push your heel .... but in the opposite direction.

Anyone who HAS researched or has more practical experience .... does this make sense? I can "see it" working biomechanically ....
  • djinn924
    djinn924 Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    Sounds like shin splints to me, I got them in basic training down in Georgia. Stretch before and after exercise, apple cider vinegar, turmeric, ginger, RICE (rest, ice, compression, elevation) biggest thing is to avoid inflation as best as you can.
  • djinn924
    Options
    https://youtu.be/j-qMgIMOt-I good video on stretching shin splints
  • djinn924
    Options
    Having a craving for the moca late powder in my cabinet which made me think understanding hunger vs cravings might help others feel free to watch and let me know what you think https://youtu.be/-muCl6DEV6g
  • KCJen
    Options
    @BMcC9 @djinn924 Thank you both!
  • fitphoenix
    fitphoenix Posts: 9,673 Member
    Options
    @djinn924, thanks for the video--that was very interesting!
  • djinn924
    Options
    No problem @fitphoenix, on another note today is the first day I was able to get over 1200 calories in a week it’s getting easier now that I am learning how to do ‘healthy keto’ now if I could only get my wife to adapt to the more healthy way of doing things lol
  • djinn924
    Options
    Something I listened to today thought it might help some. https://youtu.be/9Xc7DN-noAc
  • fitphoenix
    fitphoenix Posts: 9,673 Member
    Options
    @BMcC9, totally agree! Quality of self-talk is super important. I remember reading somewhere that we should talk to ourselves like we'd talk to a child--not dumbing it down or anything, but with that quality of kindness and consideration. I think we can get into a terrible habit of saying things to ourselves that we would never dream of saying to anyone else. I think my internal dialogue is generally quite good, but I always try to keep this advice in mind, especially if I'm frustrated because I'm not seeing the results I want.
  • BMcC9
    Options
    Shout-out to newbies!

If you have yet to figure out WHERE to do your Daily Accountability reports (NOT here OR in the Introductions thread!) take a read inside this spoiler for details. I already pointed one of you in the right direction ... it occurs to me there might be others of you who are inadvertently "not reporting" as well.

If you have already figured it out, you can ignore.
    Click on the big "Ultimate Accountability Challenge February 2019" at the top of this page. This will bring you to the list of all sub-threads. What's On You Mind is only one of them.

Scroll down and you will see a list of individual dates (Feb 1; Feb 2; etc. One for each day of the month)

Click on today's date. You will see The Three Questions at the top, and something special from RangerRick in the first entry. (often a thought or discussion starter - something different every day)

Reply (at the bottom) in the format that you choose. As you scroll through, you will see several variants from copying the questions from the top of the Daily Thread with the answer following each, to "3 X Yes"

For today (if you haven't been reporting in so far), just backdate as follows (with the appropriate answer for how things have been going for you):

Feb 1: Pass 1 2 x Yes; Exercise - No
    Feb 2: 3 X Yes
    Feb 3: Pass 2 Over on calories; Didn't track everything (SuperBowl munchies) ; DID do exercise

For today and going forward, as much or little detail as you wish. eg. How long / what KIND of exercise; if over on calories and/or didn't track everything, by how much and/or why (special event? stressed? bored? someone brought doughnuts to the staff meeting?)

DO ask for strategies on how to handle similar situations in the future, or ask in advance for known upcoming events (like travel or a family dinner or whatever)

Repeat daily.

This is a Just For Today kind of challenge. Just focus on getting through or as close as you can to 3 X Yes TODAY. Don't obsess about yesterday or fret about tomorrow.

As the month rolls along .... fi you happen to get up to 5 or more passes in the month (it can happen with people only just starting to figure out MPF as a whole, and are still exploring to discover what "sustainable routine" looks like for them!) you don't have to keep telling us the count - just say "Pass - (which parts were Yes vs No)" and maybe as self-encouragement add something like "missing it much closer than at the start of the month!" Just keep showing up and reporting. In March, you start over with 3 new passes available, and a determination to use 1 (or more) FEWER passes than February.

DO ask for strategies on how to handle any recurring adjustment difficulties either in your daily post or in the "What's On Your Mind?" thread.

When you have time, read the Days already past. They will encourage you.

See you in the Daily's!

I copied this from the Introductions thread, just to make sure that none of our new members miss it.