Healthy High Protein Dinner Ideas

Options
jchrisman717
jchrisman717 Posts: 780 Member
I am trying to eat healthy- upping my protein intake. My husband on the other hand is a meat and potatoes, or pasta guy. It has been difficult for me to eat healthy and fix him dinners he likes (yes, mainly because I have little will power when I cook it). I have decided I will have my own dinner if he chooses a dinner too high calorie and too high carb for my goals but I would really like to not have to do that every night. Any of my Fabulous 40Something friends have any ideas? Crock pot ideas would be awesome!

Replies

• cutchro
    cutchro Posts: 396 Member
    Options
    I am in a similar situation.... I have a friend that tends to be at my place at meal time and he doesn't like fruit and vegetables.... blah... it is very hard to cook a meal that is healthy and does not include vegetables!
  • Stacyschim
    Stacyschim Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    how about pizza with half topped his way and half yours, or a frittata loaded with veggies for you and the other half with meats and cheese? You can make a pork loin roast in the crock pot and just load it with veggies for you and he doesn't have to eat them ;)
  • ReneeAusten
    Options
    Chili with meat and beans in it would be great for both of you.

There are a lot of good lower-calorie chili recipes out there on allrecipes.com, for example. I think the recipe for Dave's Chili (The Wendy's Restaurant chili) is a good and nutritious one.

He could put it over a baked potato and load it up with grated cheese and you can eat it without those things.
  • azbearme
    azbearme Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    We fix some pasta dishes where the majority of the dish are veggies, then protien, and the whole wheat pasta is just in there as a treat! So every bit includes veggies, but not pasta...
  • Psychgrrl
    Psychgrrl Posts: 3,177 Member
    Options
    What about some of the nutritious grains like quinoa, spelt, bulgar and amaranth? They can satisfy his carb craving while giving you both a healthy dose of protein and fiber.

Baked sweet potato is a good call, too!

:)
  • cindirookbanman
    cindirookbanman Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    At our house, we do a lot of stirfry and/or grilling. DH has learned to grill every veggie under the sun, God bless him. So I eat the meat and veggies, he eats the meat and carb-heavy side dishes. If I make our dishes with lots of extra veggies and less sauces, I can eat just the "good stuff" and it's easy to add a pot of pasta, rice, potatos on the side for him :)
  • jenm0611
    jenm0611 Posts: 13
    Options
    My husband is a meat and potatoes guy too. If we go out and the waitress/waiter asks if he wants a salad he proudly rubs his belly and says "I didn't get this figure eating salad".

When we are at home I will make his potatoes, usually a baked on in the microwave, or rice and I will eat a salad. I always keep hard boiled eggs in the house because they are a great high protein snack when I need something quick.

Be careful with crock pot meals because a lot will involve gravy and there are a TON of calories in just one tablespoon of gravy. I have become a big fan of my broiling pan. My two "go to" meals are boneless skinless chicken breasts or boneless center cut pork chops. I sprinkle McCormicks Montreal Chicken on them and rub with a small dab of canola oil then put under the broiler on low. about 8 minutes on each side and you have a high protein healthy quick meal. Throw in a side salad or a small helping of yellow rice and you have a complete meal.

Another staple in our house is canned salmon. I mix in bread crumbs (you can make them yourself) and an egg, some minced onion and form into a patty. Put them either under the broiler or into a frying pan with a tablespoon of canola or olive oil and cook until "tan".

There are a lot of other simple recipes out there that are filling, high in protein. It's all about making "adjustments" to the recipe that the "other half" doesn't know about, LOL