Does lifting impact on running?

Options
2»

Replies

• likitisplit
    likitisplit Posts: 9,420 Member
    Options
    Recent studies have shown that lifting higher weight at lower reps (4 sets of 4 reps of 4 rep max weight) is better for your strength and running economy than lower weight/higher rep (3 sets of 10-12 reps of lighter weight), but any lifting is going to be beneficial for injury prevention.

Here's a synopsis of one of the studies: http://myweb.facstaff.wwu.edu/chalmers/PDFs/Running economy and resistance training.pdf

Edit: Forgot to include my personal experience. I'm currently a 50-80 mile a week runner, and I lift 4 days a week (2 upper body, 2 lower body). After reading about the recent studies I switched 2 weeks ago from the High Reps/lower weight to the low reps/higher weight, I'm feeling stronger and my "Workout" runs aren't suffering. I schedule my lower body days to be in the evening after a morning workout run (For example yesterday I did my 5X800 intervals as part of my morning 9 miler, and then after work did my lower body lifts)

Yesh, good point and I seriously wish I had more weight laying around the house (I don't have more room for more), my gym days are sporadic, I can get my runs in and home circuit training done on a regular basis, but heavy lifting in the 4-6 range doesn't happen often anymore. It's definitely a better way to lift for performance to go purely for strength and to avoid putting muscle mass on if the goal is to get lighter/faster (but running lots kinda counter acts that anyways for most people). I'm still trying to figure out what exactly works for lower body days in my rotation.

http://www.rosstraining.com/nevergymless.html
  • WebbyShoo
    WebbyShoo Posts: 115
    Options
    Oh thankees! ^^^ Have you done this program? I've got 10, 25, 35 and 40lb dumbbells which I double up for lower body stuff (however I'm able to press/deadlift/squat more than that for reps but that's where I draw the line on weights taking up more room here). I have no way to hang a bar for chins/pull ups which I do for reps of 4-6 right now (so I do them at the park... lol). I should try and master single leg squats this winter as a challenge for sure.
  • rjmudlax13
    rjmudlax13 Posts: 900 Member
    Options
    Bump.

Lifter and runner here.
  • iluvprettyshoes
    iluvprettyshoes Posts: 605 Member
    Options
    Running was def more difficult when I first started lifting but getting into it gradually helped. I started w one day a week, then two & now I lift 2-3 days a week. I run 4-5 days a week. I only do legs once a week if I have a longer run planned for that week. I never lift the day before a long run but I do lift the day after but only upper body.

You just have to be flexible w your schedule & change it up depending on what you are running that particular week.
  • LilRedRooster
    LilRedRooster Posts: 1,421 Member
    Options
    I actually suggest to many runners to lift, and use resistance training, because it helps to work the muscles that running misses, and overall supports your body much more effectively.

I lift heavy, and do so 3-4times/week, in addition to running 3-4 days/week. What I usually do is run one day, weights the next, cross-train (yoga, Insanity, biking) the third, running, and then take a day off entirely before starting back up again. Some days, I'll do a shorter run, then weights, or I'll do weights and then run the next day, to get my legs used to working with fatigue.

Overall, it helps TREMENDOUSLY with my knees. I have rather bad knees, and heavy lifting helps keep all the muscles supporting my knees from the hips down, so there is a lot less stress on those joints. I notice when I don't lift or really focus on resistance with my legs, even for a week, my knees start to ache, and I need to cross-train again.

It does end up fatiguing my muscles much more quickly, so if I want to work speed or long runs, I NEVER lift the day before, and take a rest day or do something low-impact, like yoga.

Lifting has never hurt my running overall, though. If anything, it's made sure that I'm strong overall and at a good level of general fitness so that I can run without getting hurt. Biggest thing is just making sure you can play around with it, and figure out what works best for you. Listen to your body, and in the beginning, give yourself opportunities for rest and recovery as you build up.
  • kiekie
    kiekie Posts: 289 Member
    Options
    I actually suggest to many runners to lift, and use resistance training, because it helps to work the muscles that running misses, and overall supports your body much more effectively.

I lift heavy, and do so 3-4times/week, in addition to running 3-4 days/week. What I usually do is run one day, weights the next, cross-train (yoga, Insanity, biking) the third, running, and then take a day off entirely before starting back up again. Some days, I'll do a shorter run, then weights, or I'll do weights and then run the next day, to get my legs used to working with fatigue.

Overall, it helps TREMENDOUSLY with my knees. I have rather bad knees, and heavy lifting helps keep all the muscles supporting my knees from the hips down, so there is a lot less stress on those joints. I notice when I don't lift or really focus on resistance with my legs, even for a week, my knees start to ache, and I need to cross-train again.

It does end up fatiguing my muscles much more quickly, so if I want to work speed or long runs, I NEVER lift the day before, and take a rest day or do something low-impact, like yoga.

Lifting has never hurt my running overall, though. If anything, it's made sure that I'm strong overall and at a good level of general fitness so that I can run without getting hurt. Biggest thing is just making sure you can play around with it, and figure out what works best for you. Listen to your body, and in the beginning, give yourself opportunities for rest and recovery as you build up.

Thanks for your response. Funny you should mention knees - I began lifting and running at the same time (as in right at the beginning with C25k) and felt great but stopped because the combination of lifting and running started to make me feel incredibly stiff and inflexible when I'm normally pretty flexible. I wanted to focus on getting my distance up so dropped the weights but immediately injured my knee so I'm definitely up for getting stronger there.
  • likitisplit
    likitisplit Posts: 9,420 Member
    Options
    Oh thankees! ^^^ Have you done this program? I've got 10, 25, 35 and 40lb dumbbells which I double up for lower body stuff (however I'm able to press/deadlift/squat more than that for reps but that's where I draw the line on weights taking up more room here). I have no way to hang a bar for chins/pull ups which I do for reps of 4-6 right now (so I do them at the park... lol). I should try and master single leg squats this winter as a challenge for sure.

I haven't. I was doing NROL4W but I'm not able to keep that up and recover from 1/2 marathon training and keep all my exercise in the time I have available. I'm switching to the Go Kaleo training plan, but want to take another look to see if I can put together a home-based program for days like today where I actually eat lunch in the cafe.
  • LilRedRooster
    LilRedRooster Posts: 1,421 Member
    Options

Thanks for your response. Funny you should mention knees - I began lifting and running at the same time (as in right at the beginning with C25k) and felt great but stopped because the combination of lifting and running started to make me feel incredibly stiff and inflexible when I'm normally pretty flexible. I wanted to focus on getting my distance up so dropped the weights but immediately injured my knee so I'm definitely up for getting stronger there.

I tend to get a bit stiff as well, even though I'm usually VERY flexible, but that's why I incorporate something like yoga or plyometrics with lots of stretching after every workout, especially with my hips. But many of the injuries I've gotten (stress fracture in my foot, runner's knee, torn meniscus), have been related to not having my legs be strong enough overall to handle increased miles in running, so I really make sure that I cross-train religiously to keep myself balanced.

Some runners can get away with just running and nothing else, because for whatever reason, they have great mechanics and don't end up with injuries or weaknesses that hurt them, but I'm not one of them. I've never been that fast (though I do notice increases in speed when I increase my weights one week and taper down the next week), but since I've really focused on keeping myself well-rounded, I've really kept my injuries down and manageable.
  • kiekie
    kiekie Posts: 289 Member
    Options

I tend to get a bit stiff as well, even though I'm usually VERY flexible, but that's why I incorporate something like yoga or plyometrics with lots of stretching after every workout, especially with my hips. But many of the injuries I've gotten (stress fracture in my foot, runner's knee, torn meniscus), have been related to not having my legs be strong enough overall to handle increased miles in running, so I really make sure that I cross-train religiously to keep myself balanced.

Some runners can get away with just running and nothing else, because for whatever reason, they have great mechanics and don't end up with injuries or weaknesses that hurt them, but I'm not one of them. I've never been that fast (though I do notice increases in speed when I increase my weights one week and taper down the next week), but since I've really focused on keeping myself well-rounded, I've really kept my injuries down and manageable.

I'm unfortunately not one of those blessed with great mechanics either - I run mostly on enthusiasm!

I've been doing a weekly yoga session too but finding it so much harder than usual. I'll definitely keep it up and get some pilates DVDs too to mix it up. I'll stick with the plan for a few weeks and then reassess.