What was your biggest Instant Pot fail?

It happens to the best of us. My first fail was my first dish. Mac and Cheese. Burned on the bottom. It was my first time using it and I didn't realize that you couldn't set the pot to pressure cook with the cheese in it. Live and learn.

Replies

• ExistingFish
    ExistingFish Posts: 1,259 Member
    I have overcooked much veg. Much much veg. I usually suffer through it, but the kids often refuse.

I made the macaroni recipe that came with the foodi, and no one would touch it.
  • ExistingFish
    I gave up trying to use the pressure function on veg, I just steam it.
  • baygirl2019
    baygirl2019 Posts: 54 Member
    I don't make many veggies. But I just purchased a Duo Mini so I can do Rice and sides while the main dish is cooking in the pot. Things that cannot cook together because of different cook times and temperatures. I do plan to try steaming broccoli for my boyfriend. I'm pretty much a meat and potatoes girl. This is why it's so hard for me to diet. Hate most vegetables.
  • Lorleee
    Lorleee Posts: 369 Member
    Meatloaf. It was a soupy mess. Never doing that again lol!
  • swirlybee
    swirlybee Posts: 497 Member
    I do plan to try steaming broccoli for my boyfriend.
    You can just put it in the microwave for 3 minutes. Comes out perfect every time. After rinsing the broccoli, I'll put in a bowl, covered with paper towel and nuke it for 3 minutes.

• baygirl2019
    I do that now, microwave his broccoli. But I have also steamed it on the stove and he likes it much better. So I'll try it in the pot next time.
  • Lorleee
    Lorleee Posts: 369 Member
    I know you said you hate veggies but have you tried roasting them in the oven with some olive oil? I find the flavours are awesome that way for things like brussels sprouts and broccoli. For the IP, sweet potatoes turn out well if you cut them into chunks and saute in them in the pot first, before you add the water and pressure cook for about 4 mins.
  • ExistingFish
    I don't make many veggies. But I just purchased a Duo Mini so I can do Rice and sides while the main dish is cooking in the pot. Things that cannot cook together because of different cook times and temperatures. I do plan to try steaming broccoli for my boyfriend. I'm pretty much a meat and potatoes girl. This is why it's so hard for me to diet. Hate most vegetables.

My husband is the same way, have yet to find a veggie he will eat.
  • baygirl2019
    Lorleee wrote: »
    I know you said you hate veggies but have you tried roasting them in the oven with some olive oil? I find the flavours are awesome that way for things like brussels sprouts and broccoli. For the IP, sweet potatoes turn out well if you cut them into chunks and saute in them in the pot first, before you add the water and pressure cook for about 4 mins.

I just can't do it. Too old to change. LOL.
  • baygirl2019

My boyfriend will eat everything except for lima beans, and he suffers because of my hatred of them.
  • ExistingFish

My boyfriend will eat everything except for lima beans, and he suffers because of my hatred of them.

That sucks. I always considered myself a picky eater, so we aren't too bad off. I eat the same veg over and over again, I'm not very adventurous.
  • LiIyGrace
    LiIyGrace Posts: 46 Member
    I have a steamer tray for the microwave. Makes steaming veggies soooooo easy (I prefer canned, because I'm not a "vegetable" person, but my boyfriend prefers fresh steamed). I've heard others have issues with vegetables in the IP, so I'm thinking I'll keep to steaming them.
  • AbbieOffman
    AbbieOffman Posts: 165 Member
    Hamburger Helper 'soup'. My son loves the stuff, but i added way too much liquid.
  • ExistingFish
    Mine is a ninja specific failure because it is the broiler function. I burned some broccoli black yesterday. There was more to the story, but that was what happened.