Half marathon question

Options
teach0722
teach0722 Posts: 42 Member
I hope I’m in the right place. I’m training for my first half marathon in April. From my research, I’m at the point that I need to start using gels. I went on Amazon and overwhelmed by the options. Anything else to consider? I’ve never done anything like this before. Anyone have any suggestions?

Replies

• MobyCarp
    MobyCarp Posts: 2,927 Member
    Options
    First, find out if the half marathon you're running will have gels on the course. If they will, the first thing to try is the same brand that the race will give out. If that works for you, you don't need to look any further this training cycle.

Gels can be cheaper on Amazon in boxes of 24, but they won't be much cheaper for small quantities and may be more expensive. If you don't yet know what works for you or what you like, you would be better off buying small quantities at a local running store until you know what works for you. Then you can buy what works in quantity from Amazon.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    Salted caramel GU are my favourite.

You also might want to consider what you eat the night before your long run, and obviously your breakfast.

I didn't use gels for my first half, but I have for all my others and think the boost helps.
  • eleanorhawkins
    eleanorhawkins Posts: 1,657 Member
    Options
    I haven't tried gels yet, not brave enough to see whether my stomache will accept them or not as the places I run are a LONG way from bathrooms lol.
    I use jelly babies instead, they kept me happy through my first (and only so far) half. Possibly because they were a bit like the donkey and the carrot ("c'mon, run for another 15 minutes and you can have a jelly baby")
  • dewd2
    dewd2 Posts: 2,445 Member
    Options
    You don't really 'need' gels for a half marathon but if you decide to use them I suggest getting several varieties at your local running store and seeing which ones work best for you (cause the least amount of stomach distress). Also be aware that some contain caffeine.
  • dewd2
    Options
    *Not that there's anything wrong with caffeine. Just some folks are surprised that it is in there. :D
  • teach0722
    teach0722 Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    Thank you all for your suggestions!!!
  • Tacklewasher
    Tacklewasher Posts: 7,122 Member
    Options
    dewd2 wrote: »
    *Not that there's anything wrong with caffeine. Just some folks are surprised that it is in there. :D

I went looking and made sure mine had caffeine.

Have not actually tried them yet.
  • dewd2
    Options

I went looking and made sure mine had caffeine.

Have not actually tried them yet.

I normally use GU with caffeine. I feel it gives me a boost. With the amount in the packet I'm sure it is just placebo but I'll take anything at mile 19. :D

I have been experimenting with Maurten gels and drinks. So far they have been great for my stomach and they were awesome on my 20 mile run late last year. They are not your typical gel as they have a consistency closer to jello. They do not contain caffeine.
  • RunnerGirl238
    RunnerGirl238 Posts: 448 Member
    Options
    Espresso flavor Gu I think...fave.

Also, honey packets are good for quick shots of natural sugar.
  • Dball0227
    Dball0227 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    I usually use the mocha flavored clif shots with 50mg of caffeine. I have used gummy bears in the past too they also work well.
  • T1DCarnivoreRunner
    T1DCarnivoreRunner Posts: 11,502 Member
    Options

LOL Some of us either drink coffee before running or caffeine pills. Many of these races start too early anyway....
  • Tacklewasher
    Tacklewasher Posts: 7,122 Member
    Options

LOL Some of us either drink coffee before running or caffeine pills. Many of these races start too early anyway....

Need to try caffeine pills. Drinking 3-4 cups can be an issue if the porta potty lineups are too long :)
  • dewd2
    Options
    I got some caffeinated gum in my race swag from somewhere this year (may have been Wineglass - can't remember). I haven't tried it... Yet. :wink:
  • SteveTries
    SteveTries Posts: 723 Member
    Options
    It’s a generally accepted rule of thumb that for efforts of 2 hours duration or less, you don’t need to take on nutrition. This being because we carry about two hours worth of energy in the form of glycogen, stored in our muscle cells for rapid release.

That said, it’s unlikely to do you any harm to take on some nutrition, and the psychological boost could be beneficial even if there is not physical benefit.

You’ll want to practice in advance what you intend to do on race day to avoid unwanted surprises. I’d suggest simulating the actual day as closely as you can a few times (waking up at the same time, having the same breakfast and running at the same time as the race).

Many advocate doing some of your long runs with nutrition (for practice) and half without, so that your body becomes more adept at converting stored energy on demand. This seems sensible to me and whilst I wouldn’t take nutrition for a ahalf marathon, I do follow this guidance myself when training for longer events.

As for the nutrition itself, it really is whatever suits you. I personally can not tolerate solid food when running, and I’ve tried a lot of options though am fine on the bike, weirdly), so it’s gels or Jelly Babies only for me. I like SIS Go gels.

You should ensure you are carbed up before race day. There’s no need to eat more calories than normal, just ensure that for a few days you’re eating a good amount of carbs.