How did you cope with nausea/morning sickness?

Options
My healthy eating seems to have gone out the window since the nausea/morning sickness has kicked in. It doesn't help that we're also slowly remodeling our new house and of course when we're up there we do not have a fridge/microwave or anything to prepare food so sadly have been eating takeaway a few times a week which I think I'm done with. I have decided to stop counting for a bit as it was just stressing me out and feeling poorly over the last week or so was making food choices harder. .I have found recently that as long as I'm feeling well, even if I don't count I tend to stay on track but feeling so poorly the last week has just thrown me for a loop. The nausea has seemed to get a bit more manageable so am going to try to get back to what I was doing before. Didn't know if anyone had any healthy options/suggestions for me when it comes to food. Normally do lots of salad/veg/fruit but have gone off some things. Really want to stay on track and keep weight gain to a minimum this pregnancy as I've just about met my half way point of my weight loss goal. At this rate I think I may end up living off of peanut butter and jelly sandwiches and bananas lol as that's the only thing I can think of at the moment that I can easily take up with me that doesn't require heating or refrigeration.

Replies

• mrs_n0rris
    mrs_n0rris Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    My suggestion would be to be gentle with yourself! Morning sickness doesn't last forever and it's more important that you're getting some food in there right now more than anything else. P&B sandwiches and bananas aren't the worst things you could be eating so I say go with it. I know crackers and cheese were big for me as well as soup (which might not work for you because you can't heat it).
  • lmercil
    lmercil Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    I had terrible MS as well for the entire first tri. I lived off of saltines, apple juice and clear gatorade for several weeks. I had a hard time cooking as well as the only I wanted to do when I got hm from work was lay on the couch and go to bed.

Couple of things that worked for me. I ate saltines 30 min before I got up. I worked out in the mornings - if I waited until night it would have never happened, plus I felt better afterwards even if only briefly. I ended up eating alot of grilled cheese and tomoto basil soup and for some reason BLTs. Beside the saltines, apple juice and clear gatorade these were about the only things I could stomach. Cereal seemed to be okay sometimes (lots of the Kashi Crisp b/c it has more protein). . McDonalds - which I never normally have - seemed to be my MS fix while traveling. And lots of water....As the previous poster mentioned, just try to get something in and don't get too hung up on it.

Other things that might help with the MS...I found that peppermint candies seemed to work best for me. This was after trying sea bands, ginger gum, ginger ale, B6. Oh and I did switch my prenatal to Flintstones with Iron per my Drs recommendation. Everyone is different so keep trying things until you find something that works.

The good news is that it does go away. Hang in there, it will get better!
  • Rhiannonangharad
    Options
    I know some great smoothie recipes that might help! I drink them if i get nauseous, not because of pregnancy, but they have helped, my friend suggested them to me because of her morning sickness!

Hope they help you, nausea is no fun! http://www.fittamamma.com/section.php/170/1/super_food_smoothies
  • SamanthaAnneTowler
    SamanthaAnneTowler Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Thank you so much for all your advice. Just tried grilled cheese and tomato soup tonight and it's gone down well so far, forgot I liked it lol. Will definitely try any thing and everything at this point, glad that the nausea part is normally the shortest part of pregnancy.
  • jenluvsushi
    jenluvsushi Posts: 933 Member
    Options
    carbs helped me a lot this go around. I also took dramamine at night (per the doctor by the way)....that helped me more than anything but I only could take 1/2 a tab or I would literally sleep all day. B-6 didn't help me at all. Mint gum helped me with this pregnancy and lemon heads helped with my last baby. Everyone and every pregnancy is different so try a few suggestions. Ginger chews can help for some but not for me. Sea bands helped me a bit. Good luck!
  • michelleepotter
    michelleepotter Posts: 800 Member
    Options
    Unisom. Totally safe, and my new best friend. It pretty much completely eliminated my morning sickness, which usually incapacitates me for the entire first trimester.
  • Flybeetle
    Flybeetle Posts: 387 Member
    Options
    Hi Samantha,

Oh, MS is a b***... I only went back to "normal" eating once it subsided at 12 weeks.. Ugh. I ate pasta with lemon juice for breakfast most mornings, sometime only potatoe chips would do. Sparkling water made me feel a bit better and eating a dry cracker before getting out of bed helped as well.
    Other than that I just felt sick ALL DAY except when I was asleep...
    You will be able to "control" your eating once MS gets less, for now you just do what you need to feel better, I would say. Don't be too hard on yourself in this period when you're body is already making day to day life so hard!
    :)
  • DistantJ
    DistantJ Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    The baby I just had caused morning sickness (all day and night) up until the day I had him, so I do feel for you! I would just eat what you can when you can, and please don't stress out of the calories so much right now. I went a month with eating pretty much nothing but a yogurt cup and banana every day, and another phase was McDoubles from McDonalds. Another phase was yogurt with an apple, another was protein shakes. Just do what you can. Sickly pregnancies are just made harder by stressing too much over food! That said, I gained a whopping 5 lbs the whole pregnancy. The plus side of sickness. :)
  • Jessibear86
    Jessibear86 Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    i had really awful MS! I stuck with shakes in the morning, and eventually found that mint and cucumber sandwiches helped a lot! Along with lots of small candies.
  • Jennloella
    Jennloella Posts: 2,286 Member
    Options
    morning sickness is an understatement. I had PICC line, IV fluids and meds, lost almost 30 pounds the first trimester, came out of the pregnancy over 20 pounds under pre preg weight. I didn't get relief until I delivered....my advice is if your MS seems more than usual don't hesitate to ask your Dr for help! Not everyone gets queast for a few weeks and can eat crackers so if you get to the point you can't keep anything down not even water, make sure you let your Dr know!
  • SeamsSewWright
    Options
    I found that I had MS if I waited too long to eat. I had to keep some items by my bedside just to keep myself from getting to that point. Nausea happened when I'd be driving, so I'd try to keep gum near me to curb it.

Hope you ladies all feel better! I'm now at 35 weeks and the time goes by fast!!