Open 2019

Options
krokador
krokador Posts: 1,794 Member
Hey all!

Group's been a little bit slow, and to be fair I haven't been posting in MFP boards in a while, but I figured I may as well re-introduce myself with a thread about this year's open!

It's not quite as hyped as it has been in the previous years due to all the changes going on at crossfit HQ and the new sanctioned events going on, but it's still an event that should bring the community together!

I'm doing these scaled (can't do a pull-up to save my life yet), and I plan on re-testing myself about 6 months down the line to see how much I can improve. I did it last year and was pleasantly surprised.

So, so far we've had 19.1:

15 min AMRAP

- 19 wall ball shots (Rx: 20/14 lbs, Scaled: 14/10 lbs)
- 19 calorie row

My gym not being an actual crossfit box, I'm limited by the equipment in their functional fitness room, and somehow the 10lbs wall ball that was there a few years back has, err, gone missing :( So I had the option to do 12 or 14lbs. And after nearly smashing my nose down missing a catch at 14, I decided to play it safe.

[style color=#0000ff]I got 205 (5 rounds + 15 wall balls)[/style]

I'm quite happy with this score, although I reckon with a 10lbs ball I may have actually finished that 6th round (so many fumbles and accidental drops. I was very lenient with the target reach and no-repping myself - no judges so I'm just doing this for funsies). If I just do wall balls a bit more often and practice on my rowing a bit, I may just well be able to Rx my next attempt and break 6 rounds!

Then this week we've got 19.2, which is essentially 16.2 (the year I was in the very best shape of my entire life and ran like 4 obstacle races during summer before I blew out my back a few times and life took a tumble towards chaos, lol).

8 mins to complete (+ 4 minutes CAP per successful rounds)

- 50 toes to bar (Scale: hanging knee raises)
- 50 Double unders (Scale: single unders)
- Squat Cleans in the following descending ladder:
Rx (in lbs):
  1. 15 @ 135/85
  2. 13 @ 185/115
  3. 11 @ 225/145
  4. 9 @ 275/175
  5. 7 @ 315/205

Scaled (in lbs):
  1. 15 @ 95/55
  2. 13 @ 115/75
  3. 11 @ 135/95
  4. 9 @ 155/115
  5. 7 @ 185/135

I had gotten 344 back in 2016 (5 cleans into the round of 115). I really, really wanted to get to the 135lbs bar (even though that is still my all time PR, lol)

[style color=#dd8800]I got 343 (4 cleans with 115lbs)[/style]

Boo! I actually missed a clean, which took a lot out of me and psyched me out. If i'd stood that one up, I would've probably made 6 and beat my previous score. I know I have more in me. My legs were still sore from my training this past week and were my weak link today (usually my pulls tend to be a little weak when it gets heavy and then I can't drop under, but my problem yesterday was definitely staying stable at the bottom to stand it up). I also spent too much time back and forth between mini sets of hanging knee raises changing my plates. I need a different strategy for that. The jump rope was a non-issue. May have been able to go a little faster, but I preferred using it as a recovery haha.

tl;dr: I'm redoing this one.

So, if anyone else is participating in the open, hop in and share your scores and stories!

Replies

• shaypearl
    shaypearl Posts: 307 Member
    Options
    I have not participated in any of the workouts so far. I've been having knee issues so I am taking it easy. I've really only been training once a week.
  • Wobbleberryholz
    Wobbleberryholz Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I thought I would join in here.
    I have a love hate with CrossFit but I’m doing the open and sort of enjoy it.

19.2 made me cry. I got it so wrong.
    But I went and re did it with no judge so I can’t collect that score but I beat my original attempt and that made me happy.

Someone needs to be last in the league at least!

Best of luck to everyone competing
  • krokador
    Options
    shaypearl wrote: »
    I have not participated in any of the workouts so far. I've been having knee issues so I am taking it easy. I've really only been training once a week.

Oh, that sucks. Being easy on your knee is probably a wise decision. I do hope you recover soon!

I thought I would join in here.
    I have a love hate with CrossFit but I’m doing the open and sort of enjoy it.

19.2 made me cry. I got it so wrong.
    But I went and re did it with no judge so I can’t collect that score but I beat my original attempt and that made me happy.

Someone needs to be last in the league at least!

Best of luck to everyone competing

I went and redid it and got 347 this time. 1 rep (about 15 seconds i'd say) short of an almost free 75 reps D: I would not have been able to lift 135lbs tho. I actually tried. Twice xD

You live and learn. Hopefully next time I do this I'll have a little more strength on me. I've been focusing more on conditionning lately and it shows.
  • krokador
    Options
    What. Was. That?!

19.3 - 10 min time cap to complete:
    - 200 ft overhead/front rack lunge (50/35)
    - 50 DB box step-ups (50 @24'/35 @20')
    - 50 strict HSPU (with reduced ROM on scaled options)
    - 200ft handstand walk/bear crawl

I'd never been able to do a handstand kick up until yesterday. I prepared for it. Looked up youtube vids, practiced beforehand and almost got my feet to the wall and I was like "ok, if I get there in the workout I think the adrenaline will push me into it".

but I got 76 reps. I think. My right leg was too fatigued and the box step ups were really hard - I'm not good at lunges either. Squats ,my left leg can take over a bit. I made the mistake of stepping forward with the right first a lot like I do in training, which was a bad idea in retrospect. I should've made better use of my stronger leg!

But I still headed to the wall after the 10 min CAP and managed to get myself upside down a few times (and actually did a few reps with the 5' padding. Ridiculous rom, lol. But all I could handle anyway). So I'm really happy with that.

I'm not doing this one again. My butt hurts today xD