when to deload, when to try again, what to do about DLs

Options
neandermagnon
neandermagnon Posts: 7,436 Member
Okay... OHPs first....

well today was my 3rd attempt at 57.5lb. i made 55352. I don't know what happened on set 3 and 5, because my arms just refused to move the bar upwards. i may possibly have not eaten enough prior to the workout, so I'm inclined to think I should have another go at this weight before deloading. I already deloaded once after 55lb, back to 50lb, then back up to 57.5lb before getting stuck again, but first time was really low like 1-2 reps each set, then much better the next time (55543 I think) then this time i don't know what happened!! but I really think that I *can* do 55555 at this weight.

My form is mostly good (I think) apart from the fact that I can't get my arms back far enough.... on all the videos, at the top of the OHP the arms are kind of behind the head and the bar is above the clavicles. Well my arms don't go back that far (crappy shoulder mobility, which I'm working on). So the bar is more like over my head. I can't straighten my arms if they're further back, or if I straighten them first (like with OHP) they don't go back that far. Other than that, I think my form is good and I can't fix the shoulder issue instantly, just work on shoulder mobility so it improves gradually)

deadlift question:

okay I made steady progress on deadlifts, no stalls, all the way up to 180lb. first workout at that weight I got 1 rep, 2nd rep I couldn't get my shoulders back i.e. stand fully upright. 2nd workout I did two complete reps. 3rd workout I managed 4. Failed the following rep on the same issue each time. I deloaded by 10%, i.e. back to 160lb... 5 reps no probs, 170lb 5 reps but they' were difficult, but I think I maintained good form. 180lb today I only managed 2 proper reps 3rd rep I couldn't get my shoulders to go fully back. was very disappointed with myself as prior to the deload I managed 4 reps and the 5th I couldn't quite get my shoulders fully back. :(

I'm wondering if I should have gone up in 5lb increments instead of 10lb after the deload. Next time should I attempt 175lb?

I think my form is good I pay attention to the 4 things that rippetoe says on the videos, i.e. middle of foot under bar, back properly locked/straight, clavicle over the bar, knees bent. But maybe I'm doing something wrong on the way up.

Also the bar's a bit low, because the size of the plates I have are smaller than the ones you're supposed to use, I have 10kg rubber plates which have a smaller diameter than 45lb ones as far as I can tell (which I don't have, but I've seen elsewhere), (I have a mixture of metric and imperial plates but the 10kg rubber ones are the largest). But on the other hand I'm very short so it's not like I have to lift the bar that high anyway. And I don't have anything that I can use to raise the barbell to the correct height (nearly all the plates I own are on the barbell for deadlifts).

Sorry about the lack of videos *embarrassed* but the main question really is about whether to deload now on OHPs or have one more attempt, and whether going up in 5lb increments for deadlifts would be better, and would it be better to attempt 175lb rather than 180 next workout. I appreciate that discussing form is really difficult without a video.

Replies

• chubby_checkers
    chubby_checkers Posts: 2,353 Member
    Options
    Really, it's up to you what you want to do.

For the OHP, if you know you can get all 5x5 at 57.5, there's no reason why you shouldn't give it another shot. You don't have to deload after 3 attempts, it's just suggested. So, I'd give it another chance and go from there.

For deadlifts, are you dragging the bar up your shins and then straightening when you get the bar to your knees?

Do you have any large textbooks (or other large books)? You could use those to prop your bar up.

I only increase by 5lbs on deadlifts. I found 10lbs to be too much. Give the 5lb increase a go and see if you can hit 175lbs with good form.
  • ErinRibbens
    ErinRibbens Posts: 370 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't deload on the OHP, try again. That is a tough one.

For the deadlift, I switched to going up 5 lbs. per week about that weight too. whatever works best for you. IMO it's better to go up small and steady than having to keep deloading.

Can you get a video to make sure you're keeping the bar in a straight path all the way up on the DL? Also, it helps if you put the weight down to the ground after every rep, and reset- making sure you're in exactly the correct position. At the heavy weights it's too easy to lose your form.
  • kirabob
    kirabob Posts: 481 Member
    Options
    I have a question - what does your rest/food intake look like? Sometimes stalls happen simply because we aren't rested/nourished enough.
  • neandermagnon
    neandermagnon Posts: 7,436 Member
    Options
    thanks everyone :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou:

re OHP - :smile: that's great, I'll have another go at this weight

re 5lb increments - that's great too, I'll do 175lb next workout and see how that goes :smile:

re books to put the weight on - my husband has some but not sure if he'd want me to put my barbell on them. I can ask though ..... also what's the correct height? And do you measure from the ground to the bottom of the bar or to the top of the bar?

re dragging the bar up my shins - not exactly, because it doesn't just drag up smoothly it kind of bashes my shins then my knees get in the way (knobbly knees lol), although maybe if the bar was the correct height this wouldn't be an issue...

re putting the bar down after each rep - I've always done this, and for the heavier weights on deadlift I have to as my head spins after doing heavy deadlifts, apparently this is normal so i just get on with it. but I have to put the weight down each time because of it, then reset myself after my head feels normal again lol

re videoing myself - okay I'll do this and check for myself... but I can't put the video online because my phone is very antisocial and refuses to interact with other technology to be able to upload stuff onto the internet lol

re rest and food intake - I'm currently bulking, although I'm not tracking, I'm just eating loads, focusing on getting enough protein and not going hungry, plus eating chocolate and stuff, I've gained 5-7lb doing this so far so it's working, although if the weight gains stall I'm going to start tracking to be sure I'm eating at a surplus. For the last month or two my schedule has been rather erratic, due to kids being on holiday from school and my work schedule changing and other various things that have come up (like we're looking for a new house or flat, but the house searching has to fit in with my husband's work so that's thrown off my meal schedule as well). So I've found it hard to stay in a good schedule in terms of meal times and training regularly. i've ended up postponing workouts for a day or two, and days of erratic meals so maybe the meal timing thing could be an issue although I try to be sure to eat enough overall, but in terms of rest days i've had too many, and some of then unscheduled rest days, so it's not a lack of rest days.