Need motivation Please

Options
Sebidian
Sebidian Posts: 199 Member
I am in need of a kick in the backside please! I know logically that lifting is good for my bones, my body overall, and my mental health. I did 5x5 for 2-3 months while I was losing. Now that I am in maintenance, I am finding myself taking the easy route of mindlessly walking on the treadmill while I watch TV, and I only do that so I can eat more. Unfortunately I really don't care about improving my strength, so giving myself strength goals is not a motivator for me. Please share your stories to remind me why I want (and need) to continue to lift in maintenance. Science and medical reasoning, or links to research, would be very much appreciated. Thanks!

Replies

• zanyzana
    zanyzana Posts: 248 Member
    Options
    How old are you? Strength training is great for strengthening bones - avoiding osteoporosis when old (and walking all hunched over). And guns (as in biceps) are cool!
  • lwoodroff
    lwoodroff Posts: 1,431 Member
    Options
    Sorry, can't motivate you. However set yourself the goal of lifting 2 or 3 times a week and then do it. Determination trumps motivation. Bet you will feel better after a few weeks of just doing it!
  • PitBullMom_Liz
    PitBullMom_Liz Posts: 339 Member
    Options
    Think of the hiney created by squats!
  • cleotherio
    cleotherio Posts: 712 Member
    Options
    No scientific research here, but having a good base of strength makes any other activity easier. Whether it's moving furniture or carrying heavy stuff from one place to another, hiking up a mountain, trying out a new sport; if you're strong, everything physical is automatically easier and usually more appealing.
  • bumblebums
    bumblebums Posts: 2,181 Member
    Options
    If you need external motivation to pursue something, it probably isn't worth pursuing. Either find internal reasons for doing it or look for other activities that you enjoy more. Sorry, I am not much of a cheerleader.
  • DaniH826
    DaniH826 Posts: 1,335 Member
    Options
    I'm currently happy with my strength gains so far, so now the name of the game in terms of lifting is a) for the fun of it and b) more importantly to maintain my strength gains in the long term and also because I'm not interested in osteoporosis or having to shuffle around with a walker in later years. I love being stronger!

If you don't want to lift barbells, that's fine, but some sort of continued resistance training is paramount for health reasons, so figure out what you want to explore next, set new goals, and have at it.