Any luck getting cycles/ttc? Have you tried NAC?

Options
jguldi11
jguldi11 Posts: 201 Member
Have you tried N-acetyl-l-cysteine supplementation? What were your results? I plan on starting it today as I've read a lot of good outcomes for women with pcos getting their cycles back and that's where I'm struggling the most right now.

Here is what I have going on -
I've been taking Ovasitol for years and have noticed many positive changes, but my cycle is still very inconsistent - going on 4 months with no period. I stopped BCP in August 2018 as we are TTC. Around that time I started taking prenatal gummies with fish oil. Additionally for a while I've been taking vitamin D3 gummies, and using a magnesium based natural deodorant, and for the last 5-6 months I've been using a natural progesterone cream which helped with creating a consistent cycle for the first few months of use, but then it just stopped.

I've been tracking everything I eat since last June; I try for 35-40% carbs (whole grains & fruits/veggies), 35-40% fat, and 30% protein. If I deviate from that too much I feel unwell and have strong cravings. My eating isn't perfectly clean but it is much improved and if I stick to it I lose about 1-2lbs per week and have lost 27 lbs since June. Still have about 60-70 lbs before I'm at my estimated goal weight. I took a break around the holidays which obviously slowed things down but since starting up again have been losing fairly consistently.

About 3 weeks ago I got a gym membership and have been working out 30-45 min/day 3-5x/ week doing a mix of cardio & strength training.

Other info - I've never had regular cycles without BCP. I was diagnosed at age 16 and I'm 29 now. Never been pregnant but hoping to be soon!

I don't feel discouraged or unhappy, I'm actually very content with the changes I've made and if I have to keep plugging away like this for another year or so then so be it. I just hope that there is a baby in my future sometime in the next year or 2 ☺

Replies

• Dragonwolf
    Dragonwolf Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    A quick search doesn't show anything that stands out for helping induce cycles. It does appear to help improve the toxin-removing organs and stress/cortisol related issues, which might be part of how it helps with PCOS. It's not going to hurt to try, though, and lack of scientific studies doesn't mean it doesn't work. Definitely update us with your experiences!

I've personally found good luck with Inositol supplementation, and studies pretty strongly confirm its capability, so if the NAC doesn't work for you, that might be worth a try.
  • jguldi11
    jguldi11 Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    I'll be sure to update after I've taken it for a while! I do use Ovasitol, have for years and it has helped other issues but my cycles are still very irregular unfortunately.
  • AJB1014
    AJB1014 Posts: 1,380 Member
    Options
    From what I understand, losing weight itself can cause hormone swings that will make our already unpredictable cycles even more unpredictable for a while.

"NAC significantly improved rates of live births and spontaneous ovulation compared to placebo in women with PCOS. However, we found no evidence of effects of NAC on improving menstrual regularity, acne, hirsutism, BMI, fasting insulin, fasting glucose, or HOMA-IR." https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4306416/ - This was a pretty insightful study though!