I'm Back

Options
Hi Everyone, a few of you may remember me from about 2-6 years back. I had VSG in 2014 and did really well for the first 2 and a half years. Then, due to sliding back into old eating behaviors and not exercising I gained quite a bit of weight back. I decided to have revision surgery to RNY.
I had serious complications with the surgery and after an initial laparoscopic surgery they had to open me up with a big cut to fix a huge blood clot in my small intestine, and then again two days later for an obstructed bowel. I spent a month in the hospital and then had a home care nurse visit daily to clean my wound infection and do my dressing.

I have a huge abdominal hernia and at the weight I am at it is too dangerous to try and fix, especially since I am so prone to wound infections.

I recently spent a week in the hospital due to diverticulitis. They were gonna operate on me in emergency and try and fix my hernia but when the head of Bariatric surgery was consulted he decided to cancel my surgery and treat me in a conservative manner (IV fluids, antibiotics and sodium only as I am also quite low in sodium). They kept me in the hospital for a week and I was grateful not to have gone through another major surgery as the large incision took a long time to heal.

The RNY didn't seems to take, or maybe it was the trauma after all I went through that I could eat so much but again I went through a few months of overeating and gained weight instead of lost it.

I've been back on track for the last few weeks and have lost about 14 pounds but the only exercise I can do so far is walking the long hallways of my apartment block (the snow & ice recently melted but I live on the busiest street in my large city and I prefer to walk indoors). I am also registered to take an aquacise class starting this week.

I miss the wonderful supports I made in this group over the years and wanted to stop by and say "Hi" and tell you all that I miss you. I really don't know which group I belong in, RNY or VSG. At this point I don't think it really matters. I am looking for support and encouragement and sharing and to do the same same with others.

If you remember me or if I have struck a chord with anyone I would love to hear from you. Even if you are new, it doesn't matter to me. This is a difficult and lifelong journey and it is so much easier to do with the support of others we can form friendships with. If you can relate to any of this or if you remember me and would like to reconnect I would love to hear from you. I am also open to friend requests. Thanks so much for taking the time to read this.

Replies

• nowucme
    nowucme Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    Hi. I remember you! Sorry about your troubles. I never lost all my weight and due to abusing food am back where I began. Starting over today.
  • loriloftness
    loriloftness Posts: 476 Member
    Options
    Hi! I remember you. You had your sleeve just a little before I had mine. I understand the weight gain issue. I lost 80 of the 100 lbs I wanted to lose in the first 2 years, but have since gained 30 lbs back. Now I’m trying to go back to the eating plan I was supposed to follow all along. I’m also getting up early before work to exercise. I know this isn’t going to be easy but I have to believe I can do it if I stay focused on what I will get in the outcome. I hope you and I both can have the success we want.