Speed Training

Options
Linli_Anne
Linli_Anne Posts: 1,360 Member
Is speed training something that is a necessary part of running/training.

I'm not doing a ton of races, but will be taking part in my first 1/2 marathon in October. Mostly I just like to get out for a run, reconnect with myself, and have some time alone.

My current running schedule looks like this:

Sunday - long, slow run. week will be 16KM
Tuesday - short, steady run, between 3 and 6 km
Wednesday or Thursday - steady, mid length run, between 6 and 10 km
Friday - steady 5KM

My pace is about the same for all of these runs, just under 11 min/mile.

Am I hurting my training by not making one of these runs speed work?

Replies

• mellorunner
    Options
    If you're concerned about maximizing your performance than, yes, you are limiting your training. Running at a variety of speeds at different points in the training cycle will yield better results.
  • CarsonRuns
    CarsonRuns Posts: 3,039 Member
    Options
    Not at all. You are building a good aerobic base, which is critical for your half marathon. The only type of speed that I would suggest at this time is maybe a little bit of tempo, maybe 10 to 20 minutes of your medium length run. Speed it up to what feels "comfortably hard". You should be breathing hard enough that you can't carry on a conversation, but not so hard that you can't respond to someone with a short, 2 to 4 word sentence. Another small thing you can do is incorporate some strides at the end of a run once a week. Do 4 quick bursts of about 10 seconds or about 40 meters. The speed for these is just short of a sprint. Take a minute to 90 seconds of easy pace running between each one.

This is all you really need right now. As you running progresses, you may want to add more structured speed work, but that depends on your goals. Speed work is specific for the race distance that you are training for, so there's isn't a "one size fits all" speed work plan.
  • barrpc
    barrpc Posts: 96
    Options
    You do not have to speed train if you are just enjoying your runs. I think it is more of a progress/performance thing. The first year I ran I never did speed work. These days I have become a bit more serious about improving my race times. The past 2 years I have consistently done speed work up until race season starts (Fall around here). I have made some nice gains and PR'd more consistently. But is it necessary? I don't think so. Enjoy your runs!
  • Linli_Anne
    Linli_Anne Posts: 1,360 Member
    Options
    Cheers to all for your responses.

A lot of the training guides I have seen have a speed day built in and I never followed it.

I will keep it in my back pocket as something I may want to build in come spring if I want to get more serious about doing races and PRs.
  • rhall9058
    rhall9058 Posts: 270 Member
    Options
    Is speed training something that is a necessary part of running/training.

I'm not doing a ton of races, but will be taking part in my first 1/2 marathon in October. Mostly I just like to get out for a run, reconnect with myself, and have some time alone.

My current running schedule looks like this:

Sunday - long, slow run. week will be 16KM
    Tuesday - short, steady run, between 3 and 6 km
    Wednesday or Thursday - steady, mid length run, between 6 and 10 km
    Friday - steady 5KM

My pace is about the same for all of these runs, just under 11 min/mile.

Am I hurting my training by not making one of these runs speed work?

Excellent question!!! I'm in the same boat and was just reading around yesterday and today on that very topic. And thanks to everybody for the responses. I'm also just enjoying my runs for now. Yes, I'm doing the races, but doing them for enjoyment. I have recently started to stretch my times a little and speed up my shorter runs in hopes of getting that burst, to try and better my short runs, but I am still pretty much doing everything at the same pace out of pure enjoyment.
  • rhall9058
    rhall9058 Posts: 270 Member
    Options
    Not at all. You are building a good aerobic base, which is critical for your half marathon. The only type of speed that I would suggest at this time is maybe a little bit of tempo, maybe 10 to 20 minutes of your medium length run. Speed it up to what feels "comfortably hard". You should be breathing hard enough that you can't carry on a conversation, but not so hard that you can't respond to someone with a short, 2 to 4 word sentence. Another small thing you can do is incorporate some strides at the end of a run once a week. Do 4 quick bursts of about 10 seconds or about 40 meters. The speed for these is just short of a sprint. Take a minute to 90 seconds of easy pace running between each one.

This is all you really need right now. As you running progresses, you may want to add more structured speed work, but that depends on your goals. Speed work is specific for the race distance that you are training for, so there's isn't a "one size fits all" speed work plan.

I need a like button. Excellent answers for questions I had as well. Thanks.