Calories for third trimester

Options
I'm gaining faster than I wanted to so I downloaded MFP again. Is it true you need 2,400 calories for the third trimester and if you burn some off should you eat what you burned? I'm 27 weeks and 2 days so almost to the third. I am trying my best to not gain over 40 at the most but hopefully 35. I gained 60 with my daughter.

Replies

• hesn92
    hesn92 Posts: 5,967 Member
    Options
    Where did 2400 come from? I would imagine it depends on the individual. I've heard you need an extra 400 or 450 in the third trimester in addition to what you would normally eat. I entered all my info into MFP and set it to "maintain current weight" and then I know I can go over that by x number of calories each day. Although I just recently started counting calories again.
  • addicted2numbers
    addicted2numbers Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    I thought it was 2,000 plus the extra calories. Maybe I'm wrong. I only started to try to count because I don't want to gain too fast.
  • hesn92
    Options
    Well 2000 is just an average I think. Personally I am tall so I need more than that. You could always try eating 2400 for a couple weeks and see how it goes. If you gain too fast you can cut back.
  • am_change
    am_change Posts: 1,010 Member
    Options
    Here in the UK, our guidelines are to eat an extra 200-250 in 3rd trimester on top of whatever your maintenance allowance is. Good luck!
  • addicted2numbers
    addicted2numbers Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    Ugh I'm bad at this lol! I only know how to cut calories for weight loss.
  • karen_thinmint
    karen_thinmint Posts: 496 Member
    Options
    I gained 26 total last pregnancy, I looked back and my third trimester cals were set at 2150. 300 over maintence.
  • hesn92
    Options
    Ugh I'm bad at this lol! I only know how to cut calories for weight loss.

if you go into the "goal" section (on desktop version, it's under the "my home" tab) and then click guided set-up, it will have you enter all of your stats like height weight etc. then you can select "maintain current weight" as your goal. Then I just aim to eat x number of calories over that number.
  • ebony__
    ebony__ Posts: 519 Member
    Options
    I am interested to see what other people are eating in the 3rd trimester also though as I’m only at the start of it atm
  • ebony__
    ebony__ Posts: 519 Member
    edited August 2019
    Options
    Absolutely everyone is different, as I said, 1700 is well above maintenance for me, feels like I’m getting lots of nutrition in and gaining weight at a reasonable pace ( a little more than I’d like but oh well). I’m also just at the start of my 3rd trimester so if Need a bit more I’ll up it (and do on days I feel like I do)

*edit - haven’t included exercise calories in this at all...