A Child Named Messiah

Options
doorki
doorki Posts: 2,611 Member
http://religion.blogs.cnn.com/2013/08/13/name-messiah-would-offend-judge-says/comment-page-4/#comments

So...how do we feel about a Magistrate forcing the change of a first name?

While I think it is a stupid name that will cause the child some stress, I don't think it is the government's job to control these things. There is no law against stupid names. Also, the logic used was offensive at best.

Replies

• k8blujay2
    k8blujay2 Posts: 4,941 Member
    Options
    While as a Christian I do hold the name (or really title) in high esteem. I think it's stupid for a judge to change the name. It's not their place.

I also don't think that parents should be offended if their little special snowflake that has the "unique" name changes their name at 18 either.. but that's a different story.

I don't think Judges should be able to do things like that. They need to be as unbiased as possible.
  • Cliffslosinit
    Cliffslosinit Posts: 5,044 Member
    Options
    Dumb name,.... but it is still the parents right to name their child, no matter how stupid I think it is.
  • UsedToBeHusky
    UsedToBeHusky Posts: 15,229 Member
    Options
    Agreed. She can't just decree that a child's name should be changed. There are actually a lot of children named "Messiah" and what did this actually have to do with the custody case in the first place!
  • soldier4242
    soldier4242 Posts: 1,368 Member
    Options
    This is a blatant over reach of the judge's authority.

Using the justification that only one person has earned the right to be called Messiah and that person is Jesus Christ is also a blatant violation of separation of church and state. No judge has the right to enforce a ruling based solely on their religious beliefs.

Getting past all of that the judge is making a stupid call here even from a purely religious perspective. Even if were were a theocracy and this judge weren't being completely stupid which isn't the case in either respect. The statement should be only one person can be called "the messiah" and not "messiah". If this judge does not understand the difference then I would claim this individual is not smart enough to be practicing law.

The biggest problem I have out of everything I have list here though is that I definitely do not like the idea of any judge feeling welcome to make a decision about any cause based on their religious views no matter what they may be.
  • doorki
    Options
    Agreed. She can't just decree that a child's name should be changed. There are actually a lot of children named "Messiah" and what did this actually have to do with the custody case in the first place!

It wasn't a custody case, they went there to solve a disagreement over the kid's last name.
  • TK266
    TK266 Posts: 3,689 Member
    Options
    having seen the first names Elvis, Bubbles, Blacksmith and a number of people with the last name of Butts or Ball named Harry, I think the magistrate over stepped the bounds of the court.
  • BeachIron
    BeachIron Posts: 6,490 Member
    Options
    I had to join this group just to comment to this case.

1) Typically, I find that the press "forgets" very important parts of court rulings in headlines so as sensationalize the outcome and stir up the most ire, but that's not the case here. While the parent's did put the child's name at issue and the court had to decide the child's last name, (a) the parents only put the child's last name at issue before the court, and (b) the judge was given a choice of two names to pick from. Sua sponte decisions are somewhat unusual (notable?) in American courts unless it's on a very pressing legal matter.

2) I think the judge seriously underestimated the backlash she will face from this decision. I wouldn't be surprised if there is a political push to have her removed from the bench. She demonstrated a clear religious bias in her ruling, and I think that there is a chance to make it a racial/cultural issue depending on the facts here as there are plenty of people with the name "Jesus" and no one every bats an eyelash. I found it interesting that "Messiah" was sandwiched between "Scott" and "Jay" in the list of most popular names. Religious beliefs or not, parents have the right to name their children.

3) I strongly disagree with the decision personally for the reasons above.
  • UsedToBeHusky
    Options

It wasn't a custody case, they went there to solve a disagreement over the kid's last name.

Oh... I heard it was a custody/visitation issue. Well, either way. The judge gets to decide the child's last name... not the first name.
  • soldier4242
    Options

1) Typically, I find that the press forgets very important parts of court rulings that it reports on so as sensationalize the outcome so it stirs up the most ire, but that's not the case here. While the parent's did put the child's name at issue so the court had to decide the child's name, (a) they only put the child's last name as an issue before the court, and (b) the judge was given a choice of two names to pick from. Sua sponte decisions are somewhat unusual in American courts unless it's on a very pressing legal matter.

2) I think the judge seriously underestimated the backlash she will face from this decision. I wouldn't be surprised if there is a political push to have her removed from the bench. She demonstrated a clear religious bias in her ruling, and I think that there is a chance to make it a racial/cultural issue depending on the facts here as there are plenty of people with the name "Jesus" and no one every bats an eyelash. I found it interesting that "Messiah" was sandwiched between "Scott" and "Jay" in the list of most popular names. Religious beliefs or not, parents have the right to name their children.

Well I am glad that you joined the group. The more points of view that we have the better and more vibrant out conversations will be. You never know you might be the one to point out something none of us would have thought otherwise.
    I hope that you comment on more of our threads.

I agree with your assessment of this situation and I do hope that this religious zealot is taken off of the bench.
  • doorki
    Options

1) Typically, I find that the press "forgets" very important parts of court rulings in headlines so as sensationalize the outcome and stir up the most ire, but that's not the case here. While the parent's did put the child's name at issue and the court had to decide the child's last name, (a) the parents only put the child's last name at issue before the court, and (b) the judge was given a choice of two names to pick from. Sua sponte decisions are somewhat unusual (notable?) in American courts unless it's on a very pressing legal matter.

Welcome. While I agree that they should be removed from their post for not being able to provide impartiality, we must remember this is Tennessee. It is still in the State Constitution that an atheist cannot hold public office.
    Section 2.
    No person who denies the being of God, or a future state of rewards
    and punishments, shall hold any office in the civil department of this state.

http://www.state.tn.us/sos/bluebook/07-08/47-Constitution, Tennessee.pdf pg 18.
  • BeachIron
    BeachIron Posts: 6,490 Member
    Options

1) Typically, I find that the press forgets very important parts of court rulings that it reports on so as sensationalize the outcome so it stirs up the most ire, but that's not the case here. While the parent's did put the child's name at issue so the court had to decide the child's name, (a) they only put the child's last name as an issue before the court, and (b) the judge was given a choice of two names to pick from. Sua sponte decisions are somewhat unusual in American courts unless it's on a very pressing legal matter.

Well I am glad that you joined the group. The more points of view that we have the better and more vibrant out conversations will be. You never know you might be the one to point out something none of us would have thought otherwise.
    I hope that you comment on more of our threads.

I agree with your assessment of this situation and I do hope that this religious zealot is taken off of the bench.

TYVM. A place to debate without vitriol is good to have.
  • soldier4242
    Options

Welcome. While I agree that they should be removed from their post for not being able to provide impartiality, we must remember this is Tennessee. It is still in the State Constitution that an atheist cannot hold public office.
    Section 2.

The federal constitution states that no religious test will be required to hold any public office. The supremacy clause states that they federal constitution takes precedence over the state constitution in matters such as this so we can actually ignore that part of their state constitution as they should not even have it in there.
  • doorki
    Options

Section 2.

The federal constitution states that no religious test will be required to hold any public office. The supremacy clause states that they federal constitution takes precedence over the state constitution in matters such as this so we can actually ignore that part of their state constitution as they should not even have it in there.

Oh, I understand the legality of the situation, I am just using it to point to the local mindset.
  • k8blujay2
    k8blujay2 Posts: 4,941 Member
    Options
    as there are plenty of people with the name "Jesus"

Except it's not really Jesus (in the typical Anglicanized pronunciation)... it's the hispanic pronunciation AND it's not Jesus' actual name... His name was Yeshua... which is essentially Joshua in Hebrew. Jesus is the Romanized version of the name... and plenty of people had this name before Christ was born... However, Messiah is more of a title.

But even still, I don't care what a person calls their kid... they can name them Adolf Hitler for all I care.
  • UsedToBeHusky
    Options
    as there are plenty of people with the name "Jesus"

Except it's not really Jesus (in the typical Anglicanized pronunciation)... it's the hispanic pronunciation AND it's not Jesus' actual name... His name was Yeshua... which is essentially Joshua in Hebrew. Jesus is the Romanized version of the name... and plenty of people had this name before Christ was born... However, Messiah is more of a title.

But even still, I don't care what a person calls their kid... they can name them Adolf Hitler for all I care.

Yeah, it doesn't really matter what the name in question is, the judge had no right to change it against the will of the child's legal guardian.
  • mank32
    mank32 Posts: 1,323 Member
    Options
    why is it okay for 3 out of every 10 latino males to be named "Jesus" but it's not okay for 1 american baby to be named "Messiah"? DOES NOT COMPUTE????

ETA: ok read previous posts but STILL: why is no one freaking about over all the Jesuses in the world?? or the Joshuas for that matter??
  • LuckyLeprechaun
    LuckyLeprechaun Posts: 6,296 Member
    Options
    why is it okay for 3 out of every 10 latino males to be named "Jesus" but it's not okay for 1 american baby to be named "Messiah"? DOES NOT COMPUTE????

ETA: ok read previous posts but STILL: why is no one freaking about over all the Jesuses in the world?? or the Joshuas for that matter??

for the same reason that the hyper-religious will go out of their way to discriminate against gays, but have NOTHING to say about the soaring divorce rate. Breakdown of marriage isn't really the issue there. It's about using a weapon against the group you're trying to discriminate against.

This judge wasn't about to let a little black baby go around being named "messiah" if she could do something about it. So she did something about it.

I predict she will lose her gavel over this, rightly so.
  • maab_connor
    maab_connor Posts: 3,927 Member
    Options
    there was a case in New Zealand where a girl was taken from her parents for her name: Talula Does The Hula From Hawaii.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/newstopics/howaboutthat/2452593/Talula-Does-The-Hula-From-Hawaii-not-a-girls-name-New-Zealand-court-rules.html
  • LuckyLeprechaun
    LuckyLeprechaun Posts: 6,296 Member
    Options
    there was a case in New Zealand where a girl was taken from her parents for her name: Talula Does The Hula From Hawaii.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/newstopics/howaboutthat/2452593/Talula-Does-The-Hula-From-Hawaii-not-a-girls-name-New-Zealand-court-rules.html

Ugh. Luckily we don't have laws like that in America.
  • richardheath
    richardheath Posts: 1,276 Member
    Options
    As far as I can tell, the judge's biggest mistake here was not making them call the boy "Brian".

But yeah - she overstepped her bounds on this. A clear case of the government imposing religion on an individual.