May the Force be With You

Options
hanlonsk
hanlonsk Posts: 762 Member
Ok... that one seems to obvious, but it’s all I got.

Today’s workout was fueled by tacos.
Bench
5 x 45
5 x 65
5 x 85
3 x 105
5 x 5 @ 110 I did it!! Like just barely. My 5th rep wasn’t as clean as I like, and so I tried to end on a better note. But the 6th rep wasn’t there at all. So I BARELY got my 5x5, but I got it darn it!

Rows
I tried figuring out these seated rows you guys speak of. I don’t get those either. So went back to traditional version of sucky.
5 x 5 @ 65

Did some other accessory stuff. My poorly fueled squats, and yesterday’s run caught up to me. And I’m seeing a pt for my wonky ankle before it interferes with the running again. So, I wanted enough leg recovery I could live thru whatever the lady puts me thru. So there was no running or lower body weights in today’s workout.

Replies

• lkpducky
    lkpducky Posts: 16,736 Member
    edited May 2019
    Options
    @hanlonsk Little did you know that the thread title would be highly appropriate (RIP Chewbacca)
    Good idea on getting the ankle checked out. YAY on the bench press!

Did my physio exercises yesterday, plus 3 x 5 OHP with 17.5 lb db. Lost a little shoulder strength when my back acted up. It's much better now. I have to do the seated rows now instead because my back acted up with bent-over rows (I may cautiously try them again now that the pain is gone).
  • amyinthetardis1231
    amyinthetardis1231 Posts: 571 Member
    Options
    Working out consistently with two little ones is hard. Baby has been in a developmental leap all week so she's been basically colicky 24/7, husband was out of town for 5 days, and 3 year old was being very 3. I blame them all 😛

I did make it in on Thursday.
    Squats 5x5 @ 70
    OHP 5x5 @ 50
    Deadlifts....supposed to be 1x5 @ 105. Sleep deprivation means I can't math and didn't realize the new bumper plates at the gym are 20 kg, not 20 lb like all the others...so I did 1x5 @ 135. At least the weight went up well.
  • lkpducky
    Options
    @amyinthetardis1231 outstanding lift! I cannot even imagine what moms of newborns go through.
  • hanlonsk
    Options
    Saturday - ran 7 miles of intervals
    Sunday - deadlifts - 10 hang downy stretches @ 45, 10 Romanian @ 65, 10 normal @ 65, 5 @ 115, 4 x 5 @ 155. And then ab work

Today ran 2 miles and yoga.... I wasn’t sure I would live thru yoga, but both on pt recommendation and my own knowledge I knew I needed to go. I meant to squat, run, then yoga... but got out of work late.
  • hanlonsk
    Options
    Got in a 5x5 a time 85 on squats, and a 5x5 @ 55 on OHP along with some other accessory work. I’m not completely back on track, but I technically put the 5x5 app on my new phone, so I consider that progress.
  • lkpducky
    Options
    Finally did the usual free weights routine without back or hip pain! YAY

DB bench press 27.5 lb db 3 x 8
    Goblet squats 32.5 lb 3 x 8 remembering to brace my back and abs
    Seated rows 3 x 10 @ 55 lb
    Lat pulldowns 1 x 10 @ 40 lb per side, 2 x 8 @ 45 lb per side, 1 x 10 @ 40 lb per side (that means there is a separate stack of weights per side.
    Romanian deadlifts 1 x 10 @ 40 lb - being very cautious about starting up again
    Part of my problem with the fixed barbells is pulling them off the rack without pulling something or standing in an awkward position.
  • hanlonsk
    Options
    Today’s workout was fueled by pizza. Which did great for my run (which I did first), other than pizza burps. Did not do as well for bench as one would hope, but I had done OHP yesterday, and had just ran for an hour. But I couldn’t even get to 5 @ 105. So I did 6 or 7 x 3 @ 105. I will take it, even if it feels like backwards progress.

Also, I was still grr about it yesterday, so I didn’t say anything. But yesterday I did what I did, because someone had the treadmill for ever, so I kept lifting. Then a guy came in and was in my bubble and being weird and giving stink eye while clearly wanting the rack. And my anxiety won over the “work in or gtf out of my space and stop staring” side of me. So, I went and stretched while hoping the treadmill would free up. And first of all, this guy was wearing like an early 90s “track suit” like long pants and windbreaker jacket kind that “whooshes” when you walk. And was again tonight when I saw him. But back to last night, he then proceeded to do what I think (if I plate mathed correctly) were 295lb deadlifts in running shoes. Which means either is impressive, or dangerous and dumb. I haven’t quite decided which idea is winning.
  • lkpducky
    Options
    @hanlonsk that doesn't sound like a fun day at the gym. And that guy sounds weird. "While you're waiting for me, go shop for a real outfit!"

Just did my physio exercises. Am still sore from doing weighted squats for the first time in a few weeks.
  • lkpducky
    Options
    Incline press 3 x 12 @ 20 lb per side (machine with two weight stacks)
    DB bench press 2 x 8, 1 x 7 @ 27.5 lb (incline made me too tired for 30s)
    Close grip lat pulldown 1 x 10 @ 70 lb - felt front arm strain so I stopped
    Seated row machine 1 x 10 @ 50 lb, 1 x 8 @ 55 lb, 3 x 7 @ 60 lb
    Goblet squat 1 x 10 @ 32.5 lb, 3 x 10 @ 35 lb

The top of my left hamstring/adductor is acting up. BAH
  • lkpducky
    Options
    I saw a good number of seniors on the free weights and machines. :)
  • lkpducky
    Options
    Today:
    Physio exercises: on my back (feet shuffling together, weighted marching bridges, bicycling 2 minutes each), bird dogs (2 min), planks (1 min x 2), band squats (2 min x 1), weighted leg lift (right leg only) 2 x 15 @ 7 lb.
    DB bench press 27.5 lb 1 x 10, 1 x 8, 1 x 7, 1 x 6
    Decline press 5 x 6 @ 25 lb per side (two weight stacks)
    Incline press 3 x 8 @ 20 lb per side (two weight stacks)
    Seated row 1 x 12 @ 55 lb, 3 x 8 @ 60 lb
    Lat pulldown 3 x 8 @ 40 lb per side (two weight stacks)
    Goblet squats 3 x 10 @ 35 lb

Hamstring is still acting up. Tried to run before all of these exercises and hip felt creaky.
  • hanlonsk
    Options
    So, occasionally lifting. Just nothing real impressive to report. I did attempt some 115 lb bench press Monday. Got a set of 4, and a couple sets of two. So, that is progress. Lack of safeties, and same guy not so patiently waiting for the rack, so i wasn’t pushing quite as hard as I maybe could have. I did end up saving guy from his own roll of shame, so maybe he will be a bit more respectful in the future.

Today I did some deadlifts. Did some sumo and straight leg deads at the lighter weight. Attempted up to 195, heaviest one I got was 175. I need to either fuel better, or deadlift more often. That isn’t anywhere near where those should be.
  • hanlonsk
    Options
    Ok, apparently I need to amend my nothing Impressive thing. So, last weeks 115lb bench press was a recent weight pr. Heaviest I’ve done in over a year. Today I did it for 5x5!!! That is an all time rep pr at that weight! And it wasn’t awesome, like it was unbalanced enough on some reps I probably need to evaluate imbalences better at lower weigh when I have safeties.... but all reps were solid enough I was willing to go for the 5th rep without safeties, so they were still reasonably solid. This makes me especially happy as this puts 135 back in my realm of possibilities! And damnit, I want my big girl plates back. And maybe even get it caught on film this time, darnit.

Then I did 3.1 miles on the dreadmill.
  • amyinthetardis1231
    Options
    Nice bench, hanlonsk!

I keep forgetting to come back and update. I can only get in about twice a week so my progress isn't amazing, but I do what I can.

Today:
    Squats 5*5@100
    Bench 5*5@65

Tuesday
    Squats 5*5@95
    OHP 3*5@55 (? Can't actually remember. Just know I cut down reps because I've got a cranky shoulder)
    Deadlifts 1*5@150
  • lkpducky
    Options
    Great job @hanlonsk you'll be lifting the big plates sooner than you know!
    Hang in there @amyinthetardis1231 , you have your hands full with the kiddo so you're doing great.

Well, I'm in trouble again. Looks like my left shoulder is frozen. I think it added up from machine incline and decline instead of free weights (could not carry free weights to the bench with lower back problems), planks, etc. Those chest press machines never felt quite right.
    First felt it yesterday afternoon, and then a concert at a cold venue and waiting for the valet in the cold didn't help.
    Now I am sat here with pain into the bicep and tricep.
    And this would happen when I was finally able to do goblet squats and bench press again. And I look better - finally wore a strapless bra with no fat bulges. And gained 2 lb lean body mass in the torso (DEXAs 5 months apart). I do not particularly want to say goodbye to all of that!
  • amyinthetardis1231
    Options
    Lkpducky, hope your shoulder relaxes soon!

Squats 5*5 @ 105
    OHP 3*5 @ 57.5
    Deadlifts 1*5 @ 160

• lkpducky
    Options
    @amyinthetardis1231 great job!!

My arm is feeling MUCH better now - I am typing with both hands again :D
    There is some stiffness on the outer upper arm (bottom of the delts) and the biceps area is somewhat sore to the touch, but I can slowly lift my arm over my head. Although when I bring it back down there is a sensation of pressure on the outer upper arm.

But I guess I don't have a frozen shoulder! WHEW! Will ask the doc tomorrow what to do to make sure I DON'T get one.
  • lkpducky
    Options
    Feeling even better! Drove myself to the doctor today.

Clean bill of health at the doc's. X-ray shows no calcification or arthritis. Don't need a cortisone shot either. He did write me a scrip for physio and said as far as types of exercises "If it hurts, don't do it. Stay active - well, you already knew that."

He doesn't think it'll turn into frozen shoulder. I just need to keep it moving.
    Although he claims that older people should do cable and band resistance work instead of free weights?!?! hunh?? I was fine doing dumbbell bench press, I had trouble when doing incline or decline machine bench press because of lack of range of motion.
  • amyinthetardis1231
    Options
    Good news about your shoulder! Hope it stays healthy and comfy.

Squeezed in a very quick workout today. I'm so rushed lately, I couldn't fit in any row variants today but I got squats and bench in.

Squats 5*5 @ 110, felt very good
    Bench press 5*5 @ 65
  • amyinthetardis1231
    Options
    Squats 5*5@115
    OHP 3*5@60
    Deadlifts 1*5@165