How did you meet your significant other?

Options
I love hearing romantic stories with (hopefully) happy endings!

So...how did you meet you significant other?

C'mon, let's share! :)

Replies

• kitfulofstarling
    Options
    Hehe :)
    I was working and suddenly I saw a meeting in the transparent meeting room right in front of me. I saw such an elegant and vibrant girl. I told my colleague that she was really cute, and I got so nervous that I could not concentrate.
    Some days after, I saw that her desk was next to the coffee machine, so I started getting over 4 coffees per day, and she didn't even notice me!
    So, one day that she wasn't around, I started a conversation with her colleague sitting next to her, and he told me some things about them (they were consultants, they did not work for my company), so I got the change to start a conversation next time that I would see her.
    A couple of days after, I ran into her in the lift, and I just started talking about silly things ( I was sooo nervous), and rom there, every morning we would share a cigarette before getting in the office.
    I invited her to have drinks 3 times, but she only said yes on the last! She was difficult. I went with her to have some drinks and nothing happened.
    We saw each other 2 days after and it happened, but I behaved like if I was 12 from over 3 weeks.

PS: Forgive my grammatical errors, I'm Spanish!!
    PSPS: I saved some details...

Cheers!
  • kjennings0202
    kjennings0202 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Oh I love stories, and I love telling mine!

I meet my husband about ten years ago at a mutual friends wedding. He was in the Army and was lucky enough to get time to come home, we both were in relationships at the time. We got along instantly and just chatted here and there at the wedding.

Shortly after that we both realized we were night owls and started talking online. We became good friends pretty fast, and realized that there was a lot of feelings that were more than friend like.

When his time in the Army was up, (we had only seen each other in person the day at the wedding), I was too nervous to see him. I was in a relationship still, but I was pretty unhappy. I needed to figure out what I wanted. He was also in an unhappy relationship. We weren't sure if seeing each other was the best idea.

Well months later, our friend who got married wanted to go dancing. I will never forget that night and the moment I saw him, it had been over years since the wedding. Two years of chatting on the computer, joking, flirting, and just getting to know him, and I finally got to see him in person again. The world stopped. It was almost as if we were the only two people in the club. I literally ran into his arms, he picked me up and kissed me. It was that moment I knew I only wanted to spend my life with him. We had some explaining to do to out friends, they had no idea we had grown close. They also didn't know I had been on the fence about leaving my significant other at the time. That night we both called it off with our current partners. We became an official couple shortly after that, and eight years later we are married, and have a son (My daughter is from my ex). We are still very happy.
  • mustapekka
    Options
    oh, love the stories you guys! you made my morning :)

unfortunately, i don't think i have that good of a story to tell myself, since it's quite ordinary. but here goes!

i met my current girlfriend at a club. i was on vacation from work, and was visiting a friend out of town. we decided to go to a club downtown. when we got there he (my friend) met this other guy that he knew. with this other guy was this girl. and i (who meet a lot of people, and wouldn't describe myself as shy) am a bit (read: very) shy when it comes to meeting women. but man did i think she was pretty! the world literally stopped.

i discretely found out the most important facts about her: single? age? gay? when i found out that all the answers were favorable, i realized that there was no time to waste! but since i couldn't really bring myself to ask her out or anything like that, i just daftly made the heart sign at her, with my hands, from across the room. god only knows how that ever worked!? to this day it's actually a shock to me that she actually liked me. and my awkward little attempts at being charming. haha.

we dated for a few weeks, but it didn't really work out though. i thought we were way too different! and plus i worked in another city at the time, so it was hard to get to know each other in a relaxed way. however, we kept in touch and slowly became friends. and in the end, it was actually through this friendship that the relationship eventually grew.
  • DiamondRidge
    DiamondRidge Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    Met my lady online. We messaged back and forth a few times. My profile said that I was from the town next to the town her alma mater is in - so she was excited to come back up to the old stomping grounds. What was not mentioned was that I had JUST moved to the town that she lived in... Funny how those things happen. I gave her my cell number and said "this is my phone number, you should use it"... I was at work (working 2nd shift at a residential facility) and we were texting back and forth - she texted "its too bad we can't meet for drinks tonight"... I asked why not. I didn't get back to town until almost 11pm, so we decided to meet up at Applebee's for a drink or two. She ordered a Bud Light, I ordered a Sex on the Beach... We closed the bar... Then spent the next couple hours in her car in the parking lot... I did not go home with her that night, despite wanting to... I did, however, give her my address and set a "lunch date" for the following day... I snuck in to my house around 3am, trying not to wake my roommate... (didn't work)... Had a lovely "lunch"... Life has never been the same :)
  • wendyapple
    wendyapple Posts: 323 Member
    Options
    i also met my sweetie online. i'd been trolling okcupid for months in my area and had too many unfulfilling dates so decided to expand my search into boston, and she was doing the exact same thing at the exact same time. we both gave each other 5 stars which led to a 3 week long email exchange, which graduated to phone calls, and two months later a first date. once we established that this was the real deal (2nd date), we started visiting each other every month or so and coordinating vacations together. we were engaged on thanksgiving and i'm planning to move to boston to be with her next summer. :)
  • kyle4jem
    kyle4jem Posts: 1,400 Member
    Options
    I met my husband online via Gaydar 7 yrs ago.

I'd been single for about a year after a pretty horrendous 10 yr LTR (I had also met my ex online, but back in the mid-1990s that was pretty unusual back then!)

Anyhow, I had been enjoying "making up for lost time" :wink: when my now-husband asked me out for a drink after work. We lived about 100 miles apart although we both worked in London. While I wouldn't say it was love at first sight, I do think it was fate we met. Despite the physical distance between our homes we made the effort and spent 4 out of 7 nights together, before we eventually moved in together.

We got married on our 4th anniversary :heart: and are now the perfect middle-aged gay couple with a couple of dogs to boot! :laugh:
  • LJSmith1989
    Options
    I'm single but I met my now ex online. (gingerbeer.co.uk)
    She was a Spanish teacher working at a college in London. We met and that was it. She eventually had to move home though ( Mexico). We still speak but obviously can't maintain that distance!
  • Bubba_Furley
    Bubba_Furley Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    I met my wife at a bar/cafe. I was at the bar ordering a drink while waiting for my friends to arrive. There was a guy at the bar who said I should come meet his friends while I wait. One of his friends was Brianna who was out with her sisters. We ended up spending all night talking. The friend that was initially at the bar had too many drinks and thought someone stole his keys. He started getting violent and grabbed Bri by her neck and held her against the wall. I like to say I grabbed this guy and tossed him over the bar. Really I just pushed him. Lol we get kicked out of the bar and exchanged numbers.
  • bearsfan67
    Options
    Met my girl on line. Chemistry.....her smile is what got me. Her email started us "talking". We had our first date 2 years ago July 10 and every second of every minute of every day has been better with her in it. She asked me to marry her on our favorite bench by the ocean and I accepted. In two months we will be married....October!!!
  • imogen__may
    imogen__may Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    Aww! This is too cute! .. My love and I met online, on Twitter actually. I'm disabled and it was around the time the government were messing with cutting disability benefits. I'd started up a blog and asked other disabled people to write for it on different subjects. Twitter has a huge disabled community so I had lots of talented people to choose from .. but one day, I saw someone tweet about a blog they had just written. I went to read it and, wow, I was totally blow away. This woman wrote with the most incredible honesty. I was in tears by the end of it, blow away by what I'd just read. I knew I had to know her, obviously I knew nothing about her, but I didn't care! I got on it and tweeted her straight away. Under the guise of getting her to write for my blog, I emailed her explaining at length what I wanted from her, doing by best to get in as much information about my self as possible without looking like a total idiot! Straight away we connected, emails pinged back and forth daily, if not more. After only a few days, it was apparent that we had an intense connection, I'd managed to find out she was also gay! Couldn't believe my bloody luck, that never happens! All the boxes ticked, and gay!! Eventually we suggested some live time chatting would be good so she invited me to her Facebook. Well, that was it. I was in love. Her profile picture is her, with this cute little knitted hat on and her gorgeous blue eyes sparkling at me. They honest look like the ocean, you know when it's so clear you can see the bottom? Yeah, like that. We talked from the moment my request was accepted late into the night. And then again the next day and the day after that. We soon talked on the phone and then on Skype. It can only have been a matter of months before I told her I was in love with her and soon after we were together! .. I still look at her and can't believe my luck. Honestly. She blows my mind, she's just everything I could have ever wanted in a partner. We now spend most of our time together while we work out the logistics of living together. Next step, tricking her into marrying me before she comes to her senses.

Imogen x
  • sassymanatee
    sassymanatee Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    Exactly three years ago I was helping a friend move into his dorm and a friend of his walked into the room. I thought she was the most beautiful person and it was literally love at first sight (it might have been karma for me always saying that it was bogus). Though I fell for her that second, I knew she was way out of my league and would never have a chance with her. After all, that day I was wearing sweatpants, ugly butch sandals (that she later burned :P), a thift shop shirt and studying for GRE. I decided to be myself, flaws and all, instead of trying to look cool to impress her. I told my friend I had feelings for her and he warned me that she was extremely picky and never dates. Just another sign not to try to be more than a friend. So after that day we added each other on facebook and found ourselves looking forward to our little chats. Even though she thought I was a weirdo at first, once she got to know me she fell hard. A week after we met we decided to see each other and she beat me to asking to be in a relationship.
  • LJSmith1989
    Options
    Lots of good stories... I shouldn't lose hope just yet then?!
  • sassymanatee
    sassymanatee Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    Never lose hope! Just be yourself and you'll find the perfect someone for you.
  • MartialPanda
    MartialPanda Posts: 919 Member
    Options
    My current GF and I initially met when I was on Crutches. Long story short - I played rugby, some *kitten* tackled me after I threw the ball and chipped my femur, I was on crutches for 6 months whoo! - I decided to go to one of my college gay clubs/meetings and I went with some friends and sat near the back. I ended up sitting behind some girl with brown hair by herself, didnt think anything of it initially. As the talk is going i'm making my stupid little comments and joking around and I see the girl in front of me laughing. I noticed and joking a little more and then she turned around and i'm like CRAP........SHE'S GORGEOUS. So i tried to talk to her for a little bit. At some point in the convo someone said something about Mason Gross (The singing, theater, arts college here) and i'm like "oh......Mason Gross......." and she snaps her head and says "Excuse me?? I'm Mason Gross" Me: "oh yea? Arent you all snobby. What do you do?" Her: "mmhmm.....I'm in Voice Performance - specializing in Opera" Me: "oh so you're kinda a diva" Her"NO!"

Essentially it goes back and forth - I'm too much of a damn chicken to say anything and ask her actual name or number. I basically saw her around and kept wanting to strike up another conversation but I was still on crutches and angry etc. so I didnt. Finally...... a semester and a half later I saw her near the back of the bus because she smiled at me as I was talking with a friend. I did a double take..........said bye to my friend after she left and talked to her. Made sure first that she was gay and then asked for her number.

After that it's history and we've been together for 2 1/2 years now :)
  • Spindigo1
    Spindigo1 Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    OkCupid!

We didn't have an online relationship at all. She just messaged me saying I was cute and asking if I wanted to go out. I said yes, and we did! That was 2 years ago :)
  • leebesstoad
    leebesstoad Posts: 1,186 Member
    Options
    Maybe even the least likely place to find your partner on-line. Craigslist. I had been out only 6 months. I had never actually been on a date with another man. Sure I'd had hookups but not an actual date. Now in our town, at least, guys on Craigslist are a trip into the odd. I look at it now for entertainment purposes only (as in "who in the hell would answer this ad???). Back then, I almost never went on there. I hadn't been on it for a month or two at that point. But for some reason, one afternoon I did.

And it was just a simple ad, with a simple headline: "57 year old man, looking for something more". I was 55 at the time. For some reason, I answered. I didn't even know if I was ready to date. Was I even ready for a relationship? We found out that we both had tickets to a gala for the community center that weekend and would meet to talk there and go out the weekend after. We did. We have virtually nothing in common. I am a huge extrovert, he is a massive introvert. He's been out his whole life, I've been out less than 3 years. He's a city kid, I'm suburban. I love to sing and perform, he can't carry a tune in a dump truck. He loves to dance, I maim people when I try to dance. I'm meat & potatoes, he's a lot more adventurous. On and on it went. You name it, we were different. But the couple of things we did have in common are what matters most: a wicked sense of humor, not only the willingness but the desire to accept and learn from the other as the person they are without trying to change them, and the desire for a long-term committed relationship. And we've been together ever since. Going on 2.5 years now. Despite all those differences, we've never even had so much as a mild disagreement. On the first date, we agreed never to try to change each other and we've kept that promise to ourselves. In many ways, it is our differences that make us so perfect. We are the case for opposites attracting. We fill in the holes in each others' lives. He is my rock, my steady state. He keeps me grounded from my flights of fantasy. I bring the excitement, the emotion. I told him after I realized I had fallen for him that there would never be another day in his life when I didn't tell him I love him. I'm not sure he was planning on hearing it a dozen times a day, and sometimes he sentences me to only saying it once or twice a day. But that is a promise I intend to keep.

The one place the difference really shows in the attitude towards marriage. Coming from the straight world, that is my model. I would dearly love to marry this man. Since he's been out his whole live, the concept of marriage never had crossed his conscience. As of now, he says no. And in keeping with our promise, I will not try to change him. My love for him will not be affected if we get married. All I know is that we have never asked each other to change. But we both have changed on our own to try to make each other happy. And isn't that the best way to do it? If we ever do get married, it will be because he changed for me. On his own. And I will know he would be ready. And if not, I will just accept the love and commitment we have. Joyfully.

57 year old man, looking for something more. I've thought about changing my name to "Something More". Because that is what he found in me. Something more. What I found in him is everything I could have ever hoped for in a partner. And we couldn't be happier if we tried.
  • LJSmith1989
    Options
    Maybe even the least likely place to find your partner on-line. Craigslist. I had been out only 6 months. I had never actually been on a date with another man. Sure I'd had hookups but not an actual date. Now in our town, at least, guys on Craigslist are a trip into the odd. I look at it now for entertainment purposes only (as in "who in the hell would answer this ad???). Back then, I almost never went on there. I hadn't been on it for a month or two at that point. But for some reason, one afternoon I did.

And it was just a simple ad, with a simple headline: "57 year old man, looking for something more". I was 55 at the time. For some reason, I answered. I didn't even know if I was ready to date. Was I even ready for a relationship? We found out that we both had tickets to a gala for the community center that weekend and would meet to talk there and go out the weekend after. We did. We have virtually nothing in common. I am a huge extrovert, he is a massive introvert. He's been out his whole life, I've been out less than 3 years. He's a city kid, I'm suburban. I love to sing and perform, he can't carry a tune in a dump truck. He loves to dance, I maim people when I try to dance. I'm meat & potatoes, he's a lot more adventurous. On and on it went. You name it, we were different. But the couple of things we did have in common are what matters most: a wicked sense of humor, not only the willingness but the desire to accept and learn from the other as the person they are without trying to change them, and the desire for a long-term committed relationship. And we've been together ever since. Going on 2.5 years now. Despite all those differences, we've never even had so much as a mild disagreement. On the first date, we agreed never to try to change each other and we've kept that promise to ourselves. In many ways, it is our differences that make us so perfect. We are the case for opposites attracting. We fill in the holes in each others' lives. He is my rock, my steady state. He keeps me grounded from my flights of fantasy. I bring the excitement, the emotion. I told him after I realized I had fallen for him that there would never be another day in his life when I didn't tell him I love him. I'm not sure he was planning on hearing it a dozen times a day, and sometimes he sentences me to only saying it once or twice a day. But that is a promise I intend to keep.

The one place the difference really shows in the attitude towards marriage. Coming from the straight world, that is my model. I would dearly love to marry this man. Since he's been out his whole live, the concept of marriage never had crossed his conscience. As of now, he says no. And in keeping with our promise, I will not try to change him. My love for him will not be affected if we get married. All I know is that we have never asked each other to change. But we both have changed on our own to try to make each other happy. And isn't that the best way to do it? If we ever do get married, it will be because he changed for me. On his own. And I will know he would be ready. And if not, I will just accept the love and commitment we have. Joyfully.

57 year old man, looking for something more. I've thought about changing my name to "Something More". Because that is what he found in me. Something more. What I found in him is everything I could have ever hoped for in a partner. And we couldn't be happier if we tried.

Gah thats the nicest thing I've read in while. Congratulations on your relationship
  • jmwolffyy
    jmwolffyy Posts: 212 Member
    Options

I love your story! So sweet!!!
  • SilverCityzen
    SilverCityzen Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    leebesstoad, I LOVE your story!

My wife and I met at work, in the computer industry. She was Hardware, I'm Software. I noticed her there in the lab, and we met and she seemed nice, but I wasn't looking for a relationship. Nor was she, actually. I just took her for a colleague and a nice person.

Then she started coming over to my work station and just hanging out, talking. She seemed like a really nice person, but I could not figure out why she kept coming over to talk to me... we were on different projects and everything.

Finally one day she asked me if I wanted to go get a drink after work. Well, sure, I didn't have anything better to do that night, so sure.

That was in 1989. We are still together and more in love than ever. We have the 'government approved' relative plumbing differences, so were able to marry even then, which we did in 1992. Just celebrated our 21st this summer, figuring on at least 21 more.

She's told me since then that when she was coming over and talking she was hoping I'd ask her out, and was communicating that really loudly. Except I am... not so good... at recognizing that kind of thing and it went completely over my head. She finally got fed up waiting for me to take the hint and asked me out. Fortunately!
  • OneWildAndPreciousLife
    Options
    Five years ago this summer on match.com. :)