Mountain bikers, flat pedals or clipless?

BusyRaeNOTBusty
BusyRaeNOTBusty Posts: 7,166 Member
Discuss.

I don't know much about biking but I have two very knowledgeable people in my life who like to give contradicting advice....

Replies

• jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Clipless, and it pains me that this is even a question.
  • patrickblo13
    patrickblo13 Posts: 831 Member
    Clipless all the way! I tend to like a bigger platform but still clipless
  • tavenne323
    tavenne323 Posts: 332 Member
    I started on flat but got clipless about a year ago. I still haven't adjusted and find myself unclipping often. But I'm doing better each time and steep hills aren't quite as difficult. (I am a super beginner as there are no real beginner trails where I live, so I'm still walking a lot.)
  • emaren
    emaren Posts: 934 Member
    On my road bike - clipped in.
    On my Tri-Bike - clipped in
    On my single-speed toe-straps :)
    On my shopping/around town bike - platforms.

Both of my mountain bikes ?

O'Neal Azonic 420 platforms pedals. These things are light and bullet-proof and offer a ton of grip.

I still have scars from clipped-in mountain bike crashes. Sure it might get me to the top of the hill a few second faster, but even after years and years of cycling clipped-in, I am still not quick enough to twist un-clipped and dab a foot down in rock gardens.

Frankly the idea of a fast (30mph+) decent on a rutted trail while clipped-in is terrifying too.

I tried many different combinations of pedals and shoes ranging from SPD to egg-beaters and hated them all equally off-road. Actually, no, the egg-beaters were the worst, horrible things...

I ride with a group that is about 50/50 platform/clipped nowadays, there was a time when it was 100% clipped-in, but the crashes where the rider has stayed attached to their bike making the injuries worse have tended to persuade us that we should leave clipped-in MTB'ing to the racers and the casual riders like us are way better on platforms....

Personally I cannot recommend the Azonics enough, they are super grippy, very light and insanely strong. I have had multiple very high impact crashes and despite a crank-bending impact, the pedals are still great, if not a tad scruffy....
  • phytogurl
    phytogurl Posts: 671 Member
    When I first started riding mountain bikes (or bikes in general), I used platforms for about a year, until I was comfortable riding my bike on trails. After that year, I then graduated to clipless pedals (along with my other riding girlfriends), and we have never looked back, nor would we even consider it.

I will say that sometimes when riding really technical or unfamiliar singletrack, I have unclipped one foot thinking that it will help me ride through the section. Sometimes it worked, but often times it just messed me up by having my foot slip from the pedal, and changed my speed, approach, or my line . If I'm really not comfortable with a particular section, I don't mind unclipping and getting off my bike to walk through it.
  • jacksonpt
    I should probably amend my previous statement and say that I've never tried *good* platform pedals.

However, I've never had a second on the road or trail where I wished I wasn't clipped in.

I run Looks on my road bike, tri bike, and my old roadie that's been retired to my trainer (recently changed from shimano road SPDs), and mountain SPDs in my trail bike, xc race bike, and my single speed. Being physically attached to the pedals is faster, more efficient, and makes me more stable on the bike. After about 3 rides I was used to them and haven't had problems unclipping when I needed to since then.
  • patrickblo13
    patrickblo13 Posts: 831 Member
    After about 3 rides I was used to them and haven't had problems unclipping when I needed to since then.

^^This; it just takes practice but I think it makes a huge difference in the long run. Like I said, I don't like pedals like egg beaters, I prefer a clipless pedal with a bigger platform so if there is a really sketchy section I can unclip but not slip off my pedals. I used to ride SPD but was given a set of Time and I don't know if I will ever go back to SPD. With the Time pedals/cleats I find it a bit easier to clip in and out.
  • Shannonpurple
    Shannonpurple Posts: 268 Member
    Flats all the way with shin guards for when you have to jump off your bike mid air.
  • jacksonpt
    After about 3 rides I was used to them and haven't had problems unclipping when I needed to since then.

^^This; it just takes practice but I think it makes a huge difference in the long run. Like I said, I don't like pedals like egg beaters, I prefer a clipless pedal with a bigger platform so if there is a really sketchy section I can unclip but not slip off my pedals. I used to ride SPD but was given a set of Time and I don't know if I will ever go back to SPD. With the Time pedals/cleats I find it a bit easier to clip in and out.

I've heard nothing but good stuff about Times. I should give them a try sometime. I just hate switching because it means I have to switch on all my bikes (or deal with switching cleats depending on which bike I ride). #lotsofbikesproblems
  • thekarens
    thekarens Posts: 254 Member
    Flats with spikes like crankbrothers or straitlines and a good pair of Five Tens or Tevas. I love my clipless on my road bike, but it's flats all the way for the MTB. You do have to be careful of shinburger though! :)
  • BusyRaeNOTBusty
    BusyRaeNOTBusty Posts: 7,166 Member
    Clipless, and it pains me that this is even a question.

This was my husband's reaction as well.

But he's also put me on Candies (which are like egg beaters I guess). I've been working on them all summer and I'm much better than I was but I was having chain issues Wednesday so that combined with the pedals meant I fell about 3 times. It was suggested by a friend that I go to flats. I went clipless this year after tearing the **** out of my shins with my old pedals which were just the cheapy flats with toe cages that came with my old cheapy ($400) Fugi from 10 years ago.
  • mdstamand
    mdstamand Posts: 170 Member

But he's also put me on Candies (which are like egg beaters I guess). I've been working on them all summer and I'm much better than I was but I was having chain issues Wednesday so that combined with the pedals meant I fell about 3 times. It was suggested by a friend that I go to flats.

It should have been suggested to fix your chain issue and keep the clipless pedals.

As for me:
    SPD-SL on my road bikes
    SPD on my mountain, cross and gravel grinder.
  • composite
    composite Posts: 138 Member
    Clipless for sure.

SPD's for me.
  • Phildog47
    Phildog47 Posts: 255 Member
    My avid biker buddies kept talking me into the special shoes and the clips and the locks, I just like wearing my regular tennies on flat pedals.
  • 76tech
    76tech Posts: 1,455 Member
    I like my dual-sided pedals. Clipless on one side, platform on the other. Expect to upgrade to Crank Brothers Mallets next season, it's nice to have a platform when tapping down.
  • agdyl
    agdyl Posts: 246 Member
    I actually started out mountain biking with clipless pedals and did that for probably 5 years. But as I got into racing DH mountain bikes, I ran into problems with very techy stuff where I couldn't get clipped back in if I dabbed a foot as the terrain was often too rough and I switched to flat pedals for that. And then I tried riding XC on flat pedals just to get better at riding flats and after a while realized that there is virtually no difference in power or efficiency, the flat pedal shoes are way more comfortable if I need to walk anywhere, and I'm more confident if I come up on something unknown or extra techy if I'm not clipped in. So now, for the past 5 years or so, I'm 100% flat pedals except on my road bike.
  • Espressocycle
    Espressocycle Posts: 2,245 Member
    BMX pedals and a pair of Five Tens. Maybe I would go clipless if I was a better cyclist or rode easier trails, but when your trail is one big rock garden, you just want that extra security. Also, my knees are already horrible.
  • composite
    composite Posts: 138 Member
    Also, my knees are already horrible.

As long as you set them up with sufficient float then they shouldn't effect your knees.