Franzia-glazed ham isn't really healthy. Healthy recipes?

bhnguyen82
bhnguyen82 Posts: 49 Member
What's your favorite healthy recipe for breakfast, lunch, dinner, snacks?

For breakfast I'm usually a creature of habit and have oatmeal or PB toast with banana, but every now and then I like to smash an avocado on a pita or toast and put a fried egg on top. Mmm. Should try it with hot sauce.

I currently eat lunch at work so I can't really speak for that right now, I just try to make good choices. When I packed my lunches it'd usually be leftovers. I make okay salads but get bored when I have the same ones a few days in a row (I don't understand these meal preppers who make like 15 tupperwares of the same thing)

Dinner: I have a torrid love affair with soy and brown sugar glazed salmon, with steamed green beans and brown rice. I also like to make miso soup with udon noodles and lots of mushrooms.

Snacks: my current fave is a Ryvita cracker with 1 oz of cheese (usually a really good blue), and a sliced apple. 163 calories. Boom.

Replies

• avskk
    avskk Posts: 1,787 Member
    Breakfast: my favorite is a toasted Thomas light English muffin, a smear of Laughing Cow Swiss (half a wedge usually does it), a strip of turkey bacon, and a scrambled egg or egg whites. Optional: a thin smear of avocado, a tomato slice, some sauteéd onions.

Lunch: I'm pretty generic; it's either greens + colorful veggies + lean protein (so, spinach salad with tomatoes, yellow peppers, and 100g grilled chicken, for example) or whole grains + lean protein + raw veggies (so quinoa, leftover baked salmon, and carrot sticks). I tend to prep a bunch of proteins, veggies, and grains whenever I have the time so I can just grab random components to take to work. Sometimes I'm really lazy and lunch is, like, a hard-boiled egg, an apple, and some Triscuits. PS: beet juice mixed with lemon juice makes a really fabulous almost zero-cal salad dressing (if you like beets).

Dinners: Stew a chicken breast, shred it, mix with Frank's Red Hot or Buffalo sauce to taste, wrap in egg roll or wonton wrappers, bake at 375F for ~10 minutes. Have one or two of the egg rolls or 5-10 wontons with a huge plate of steamed broccoli or some cauliflower/carrot slaw. Or make a huge veggie soup (vegetable stock, chopped carrots, celery, onion, and garlic, stewed tomatoes, kidney or garbanzo beans added at the end, potatoes if you're feeling carby). Or Pam-fry a 4oz steak with halved cherry tomatoes and minced garlic, have a big cucumber/beet greens salad on the side, and finish with honeyed cottage cheese for dessert.

IDK, I don't really use recipes so much as I have general ideas and throw things together from there.
  • I don't eat gluten (pretty bad intolerance, not Celiac but my mom is so I'm avoiding)-so my go to recipes avoid it. That said. I have 4 kids, one who is special needs, so my meals tend to be easy and simple.

Breakfast: 3-4 slices of bacon, and a bowl of strawberries and bananas with some almond slivers sprinkled in there. And my coffee.

Lunch: I almost always eat a snacky lunch, as my kids call it. A slice or two of whole milk mozzarella, a handful of cashews or almonds, an apple, some other fruit (whatever we have, usually some melon or berries), and some deli ham. I like Boar's Head because I'm a deli meat snob.

Dinner: 3-4 nights a week I make chicken legs and thighs, because they're easy and taste good, although I'm sure you could do chicken breasts if preferred. Line a cookie sheet with foil, and lay out the chicken pieces so they're not touching. Sprinkle them all lightly with salt (this pulls the moisture out of the skin and down around the chicken so you get crispy skin and tender meat), and then season with whatever other spices you like. Some of the pre-blends are good. Mrs. Dash Table Blend is yummy. We usually have some veggies and fruits with our chicken. Almost always steamed broccoli cause my kids are weirdos who love it, and some sliced apples or grapes with a sprinkle of cinnamon and a TINY bit of honey.
  • I am NOT a morning person but I also have to eat breakfast, I used to rely on cereal but since giving up processed foods the pickings are slim. I also have a very hectic morning of getting ready for work, getting a toddler fed and ready for daycare etc.

Easy fast breakfasts:
    Egg whites, shake container, pour serving(I do half cup) into microwaveable bowl. Microwave for 1:30 seconds. Top with some cheese and salsa.
    Ezekiel bread toasted with raw almond butter and fresh berries plonked on top.
    Instant steel cut oats(From President's Choice for any Canadians) with a half cup of frozen berries, maybe some almond butter thrown in.

Lunch:
    I sort of suck at packing a lunch. I usually end up at the salad bar loading up on greens and veg, I keep a homemade smoked balsamic and walnut oil dressing in my work fridge in a jar with a measuring spoon. Recently I found out that the grocery store by my work sells rotisserie chicken breasts on their own. So I pretty much eat that every lunch with steamed veg or salad.

Dinner.
    Salad of doom, making sure to throw on protein.
    Or I make a wrap of some sort with Ezekiel wraps. Turkey, hummus, cucumber, greens and pickles or tuna with avocado, green onions, lemon, dill and greens.
  • Thought I'd share an easy recipe:

Bag of boneless skinless chicken breasts
    Packet of taco seasoning
    Can of Rotel, or fresh tomatoes and peppers, whichever you prefer

Toss in the crockpot on high until it shreds with a fork, usually about 5 or 6 hours. I crack the lid the last hour or so after I shred it and let the water kind of evaporate some. I serve mine with salsa and cilantro on corn tortillas, or sometimes as chicken nachos with shredded cheese and lettuce. Leftovers make great enchiladas too.
  • bhnguyen82
    Thought I'd share an easy recipe:

Packet of taco seasoning

Toss in the crockpot on high until it shreds with a fork, usually about 5 or 6 hours. I crack the lid the last hour or so after I shred it and let the water kind of evaporate some. I serve mine with salsa and cilantro on corn tortillas, or sometimes as chicken nachos with shredded cheese and lettuce. Leftovers make great enchiladas too.

How do you find the texture of the chicken? I'm always weary of putting chicken in a crockpot cause I'm afraid it'll become all stringy and tough!
  • Thought I'd share an easy recipe:

Packet of taco seasoning

How do you find the texture of the chicken? I'm always weary of putting chicken in a crockpot cause I'm afraid it'll become all stringy and tough!

It's stringy once you shred it up, but I like it that way for tacos. It's not tough though, it gets really tender.
  • bhnguyen82
    At the risk of sounding totally HLB-y I made an amazing recipe with pumpkin/squash the other night.

Boil up some pasta
    Fry up a sliced up sausage in a pan. Remove.
    Fry up some sage leaves in the leftover oil. Remove.
    Fry up some onions and garlic in the pan, then add pumpkin / squash purée (I had roasted two buttercup squash and scooped out the flesh), and thin it out however you wish -- I used greek yogurt, milk and a bit of veggie broth, but I've seen recipes use cream. Use a hand blender if needed to obtain a nice smooth consistency-- slightly thicker than a soup. Add salt and pepper to taste.
    Toss the sausage and sage back in, and mix in the pasta. Serve with some cheese on top (Parmesan would be kick *kitten*, I melted some edam cheese).

It was AMAZING. It looks like an orange pile of **** but it tasted like a really creamy decadent pasta dish at a fraction of the fatty calories.
  • At the risk of sounding totally HLB-y I made an amazing recipe with pumpkin/squash the other night.

Boil up some pasta
    Fry up a sliced up sausage in a pan. Remove.
    Fry up some sage leaves in the leftover oil. Remove.
    Fry up some onions and garlic in the pan, then add pumpkin / squash purée (I had roasted two buttercup squash and scooped out the flesh), and thin it out however you wish -- I used greek yogurt, milk and a bit of veggie broth, but I've seen recipes use cream. Use a hand blender if needed to obtain a nice smooth consistency-- slightly thicker than a soup. Add salt and pepper to taste.
    Toss the sausage and sage back in, and mix in the pasta. Serve with some cheese on top (Parmesan would be kick *kitten*, I melted some edam cheese).

It was AMAZING. It looks like an orange pile of **** but it tasted like a really creamy decadent pasta dish at a fraction of the fatty calories.

That sounds yummy...I love squash, can't really go wrong with any way you cook it! Do you think this would be good with another meat?
  • bhnguyen82
    I'm sure it would be awesome with any type of meat... FIsh or tofu would probably get all crumbled up and lost in the sauce but I can definitely see chicken in this dish. Or a lovely piece of braised meat. Mmm.
  • I was thinking leftover turkey from our upcoming Thanksgiving would go good with the sage and the pumpkin. SSSF, lol.