• SteveTries
    SteveTries Posts: 723 Member
    making steady progress there - well done
  • pondee629
    pondee629 Posts: 2,469 Member
    September came in at 69.2 miles
  • pondee629
    Snag. Not really an injury but more like an aggravation. Not sure what happened but after my 5 mile Monday run, my legs felt real tight and sore. I've been doing my after run stretches and such but still... Perhaps I pushed that run a little too hard at the end. Perhaps I've been pushing myself a little too hard with too many miles too early. Perhaps, after a rest/layoff/recovery week all will be well. After that Monday 5 miles, 2.5 on the dreadmill,(felt OK while running, but stiff and sore thereafter) we'll see how I feel to see if Saturday's long run is still on, how long will still be a question. The loop I plan to do on Saturday has many bailout points depending on how I feel. I'd rather take the week now than a month later
  • dewd2
    dewd2 Posts: 2,449 Member
    edited October 2019
    I sometimes have horrible runs and find the next time I'm out I have a great run. There are so many variables that it is often hard to put a finger on the exact cause. Of course a few days off is sometimes a good thing too. Learning the cues your body gives you and understanding what to do is never easy.

Good luck with Saturday's run.
  • pondee629
    Weekly update, still sore and stiff, but Saturday's run, cut short ( 3.38 miles) run at a "felt easy" pace turned into my fastest time of the season for that loop. I sometimes don't understand. 11 miles for the week, so a recovery week. My knee is still kinda sore but moves through it's range of motion. Try another "feels easy" pace run today and see how the knee holds up. Fortunately, 54 week s to go.
  • pondee629
    Knee has not gotten any better and am taking some time off the road. Still a year out from my proposed Marathon but really don't like not running.
  • SteveTries
    are you able to cycle? Would help maintain your fitness
  • pondee629
    SteveTries wrote: »
    are you able to cycle? Would help maintain your fitness

Going to be giving that a try. Thanks

• dewd2
    How's the knee feeling @pondee629 ?
  • pondee629
    dewd2 wrote: »
    How's the knee feeling @pondee629 ?

Almost ready to get back to work. Man, this is depressing. Thanks for your thoughts.
  • veroniquepoirier
    veroniquepoirier Posts: 39 Member
    Was ready journey and the last month is missing. Did you start to run again ?

I run since 4 years. I did hundreds of 10k, dozen of half-marathon, one 19 miles but always said to myself a full marathon is of limit. It is a lot of work.

The marathon day is not what scare me it is all the training. You have to run a lot (like a lot) to not get injured and having fun doing it.

I wish you best of luck and even if you don't make it, it doesn't matter. Keep running for the fun to it :)

• docsallen
    docsallen Posts: 159 Member
    Pondee - do you live in southern NJ? If so, are you a member of RUN856 (fb group)? There are alot of group runs posted in different areas - variety of paces too. A friend told me that if I wanted to run fast, run by myself. If I want to run far, run with friends. This advice has worked. Much easier to add the distance and keep a good pace (not too fast) when you are talking with people.
  • pondee629
    So, long story short: I got hurt, I got sick, I got lazy, I got fat, I got disgusted, I got back to work. Starting slowly with rowing and the elliptical, followed by some light lifting. Still time but it's going to be a trial. According to Hal Higdon's Novice Supreme Training program I don't have to get back on the road until 3/22. Prepping for that to happen.
  • pondee629
    docsallen wrote: »
    Pondee - do you live in southern NJ? If so, are you a member of RUN856 (fb group)? There are alot of group runs posted in different areas - variety of paces too. A friend told me that if I wanted to run fast, run by myself. If I want to run far, run with friends. This advice has worked. Much easier to add the distance and keep a good pace (not too fast) when you are talking with people.

Northern NJ. Exit 156 off the Parkway.
  • pondee629
    So, first two weeks back. In the gym, rowing and elliptical, 30 minutes a day and dipping my toes back into lifting. Lots of post work out stretching (desperately needed) and looking to get on the road Saturday for a slow run. Hoping everything holds together.
  • dewd2
    Slow and steady. :)

Keep up the good work.
  • pondee629
    First run since getting hurt, 1.7 miles and it only took "forever". However, I am able to walk today and am looking forward to rowing today and back on the road tomorrow. And, so it begins, again.
  • SteveTries
    Very encouraging - still plenty of time to get ready for October
  • pondee629
    Weekly update: Just getting restarted, my 30 week program to the Atlantic City Marathon doesn't start until 3/22, but this week three days on the road (7.75 miles total, the first week of the program calls for 9 total) and two days 35 minutes on the rowing machine. Going to use the Hal Higdon 30 week novice supreme marathon plan which includes 12 weeks base training and his 18 week marathon plan. 30 weeks from the 109/18/2020 marathon date is 3/22. Last week (training minus 2 weeks) was two 30 minutes rowing, two 30 minutes elliptical and some weights; the week before was just two 30 minutes rowing sessions, just to get back. Granted on the road I'm timing myself with a calendar but I'm moving again. Got new shoes and on my way,
  • pondee629
    Ok, so we are now 30 weeks out from my proposed first marathon and time to start the Higdon Novice Supreme Marathon Training Program. All my work to date, from when I restarted, was a build up to this. Last week had 4 runs totaling 10.5 miles. So, 10.5 done and the first week of the training plan calls for 9 miles. I'm ahead of schedule ;-)