Check in here!

Options

Replies

• threatsofpizza
    Options
    I have heard really good things about Body Revolution! Maybe I will try that in the spring. Let us know how you like it!

I need to get on my bike. But I don't want to. Tell me to do it. I need a little Jillian Michaels on my shoulder to yell at me.

I've done her 30 day shred in the past and loved it. If I ever won the lottery I'd hire her to come yell at me until I had abs.
    I decided to do 90 day Revolution because it's still only 30 min (less if you don't include the warm up and cool down) and when googling for info there was a board here on mfp of people who has amazing results. I want amazing results.

Today I walked up 500 stairs at work. It wasn't too bad since I did it with a coworker and we just focused on form and not speed.
  • Eleanor8080
    Options
    500 stairs is pretty serious! I once had to walk down (only down ... not up) 20 flights of stairs during a fire drill at work and I was sore afterwards. Clearly I need more stairs in my life...
  • GettingMooreInShape
    Options
    Today I learned that my scale isn't quite accurate.
    I first stepped on by myself... it read 130.
    I picked up two 5lb weights (so I should be 10 extra pounds) and stepped back on.. it read 134.
    Lost one of the 5lb weights... and it still read 134.

Has this happened with anybody else? What brand of scales do you all use?
    Mine was a Taylor from Target. I thought it was such a great, cheap find.. but not if it doesn't work properly!
  • spgebhart
    spgebhart Posts: 382 Member
    Options
    I'm going to go test my scale right now! Mine is a Weight Watchers scale, I think we got it at Costco.

ThreatsofPizza (your user name gives me the lulz, I'm so glad that lady is back) 500 stairs is a LOT!!! I have to walk up 7 flights of stairs to get to 2 of my classes and it makes me want to die. DIIIIIIEEEEEEEE.
  • spgebhart
    Options
    OK so I got on the scale, weighed without dumbells, then picked them up without getting off the scale and the # didn't change. BUT when I got off the scale, waited for it to clear (the little display panel goes dark), and the got back on holding the dumbells I was 10 lbs heavier. Did you let the scale reset between tries? If yes then maybe you should get a new scale. This is the one we have, $30 on Amazon:

http://www.amazon.com/Weight-Watchers-WW39-Digital-Glass/dp/B000OCLW3S
  • branfran2011
    Options
    Feeling a little frustrated because MFP says I've logged in for 30 days in a row, but I"m only down 2 pounds. In an entire month. I dont' have the ideal diet, but I"m always under calories and I exercise at home a few days a week on top of the walking I do at work that I don't log. Trying hard not to get a case of the "screw its" because my husband reminded me that slow and steady is a good thing. Grr...hate it when he's right. He could have left off that whole part about getting older though, lol.
  • feelgoodnic
    feelgoodnic Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    Hang in there branfran, your husband is right. 0.5lbs is a decent, steady amount to lose each week. I know how hard it is to resist the 'screw it's sometimes though :) It can be really frustrating when it feels like things aren't working, but you're doing a great job!
  • mkbarnes1775
    mkbarnes1775 Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    Yeah, hang in there. I HATE the phrase you didn't put it on overnight and it's not going to come off overnight but at the same time it's a pretty accurate thing. It'll come off, in the wise words of Dory the fist, just keep swimming :-)
  • mkbarnes1775
    mkbarnes1775 Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    Today I learned that my scale isn't quite accurate.
    I first stepped on by myself... it read 130.
    I picked up two 5lb weights (so I should be 10 extra pounds) and stepped back on.. it read 134.
    Lost one of the 5lb weights... and it still read 134.

Has this happened with anybody else? What brand of scales do you all use?
    Mine was a Taylor from Target. I thought it was such a great, cheap find.. but not if it doesn't work properly!

I have a Taylor scale that I got last winter at Costco and it seemed to go belly up this past weekend, suddenly I was like 26lbs lighter overnight and while that would have been fantastic I knew it wasn't the case. So I called Taylor because they do have a warrantee (SP?) and the woman walked me through a bunch of things and what did the trick was making sure the little feet on the bottom were in place. I had one where the sticky piece on the foot that helps hold it in place had shifted, I put it back on the foot and low and behold the scale worked again. So, long story short, apparently they are really sensitive and really tiny things can screw them up. Call Taylor and ask them about it and if nothing else, you might get a replacement, the girl was ready to send me one until the foot thing fixed it :-)
  • spgebhart
    Options
    Don't give up, branfran! Slow progress can be frustrating but it is still progress!
  • GettingMooreInShape
    Options
    Thanks mkbarnes and spgebhart! I'm going to play around with it later today and see if anything changes.

And branfran, you are making MANY small victories that you should be proud of! Not only are you not gaining, you are not even maintaining, you are LOSING! A 2lb loss seems to be a great amount for 30 days. Stick with it and you can be down another 5lbs by Christmas :)
    Also you're getting healthier in many ways that go beyond just weight loss...exercise can improve your bone density and is good for your heart. I know you know all of this, just reminding you that this is something to be proud of!
  • branfran2011
    Options
    Thank you hams! I'm back in the right frame of mind today, and you're right, I'm not gaining! I know what you mean about hating the saying about not putting the weight on overnight...I try and remind myself of that when I get discouraged. I really do think things will pick up when I'm back on day shift. It seems like I run on fumes most days and I'm doing good to get some yoga in before I go to bed. I might not see a lot of improvement, but I can tell by my sore muscles that I'm actually doing something. :)
  • threatsofpizza
    Options
    The other night I had my huscat take "before" pics.
    Then I cried.
    I know I've lost close to 15lbs (I started at 183 before MFP) and that is awesome but seeing me in shorts and a tight tank top made me want to punch something.
    BUT it also motivated me even more. The Jillian Michaels body revolution so far is amazing. I used to do body pump a few times a week and LOVED it. Admittedly the cardio part of it I do at about half speed. I figure my twice a week 500 stair climb at work which makes my heart pound and I walk a lot.
    Of course it doesn't help that it's Canadian Thanksgiving which means food, food, food and more food. sigh.
  • Eleanor8080
    Options
    Feeling a little frustrated because MFP says I've logged in for 30 days in a row, but I"m only down 2 pounds. In an entire month. I dont' have the ideal diet, but I"m always under calories and I exercise at home a few days a week on top of the walking I do at work that I don't log. Trying hard not to get a case of the "screw its" because my husband reminded me that slow and steady is a good thing. Grr...hate it when he's right. He could have left off that whole part about getting older though, lol.

Branfran, I was just talking to a coworker who looks amazing (she's lost a lot of weight). She said that she lost at a rate of 2 lbs. a month for a year, but none of the weight has come back on -- even now that she's eating more calories. She's also in her 60s! I definitely think slow is the way to go.

BUT, I get your frustration. I'm also a really (really) slow loser and it can be disheartening to see people dropping big amounts of weight in short timeframes. I just try to remember that we're all special snowflakes, and we all lose at different rates.

Threatsofpizza! A friend sent me pictures from her son's bday party a few weeks ago and I definitely cried. It's just not how I see myself and the "new" way I look is hard for me to register. Ugh. But like you said, it is very motivating.
  • branfran2011
    Options
    Threatsofpizza, I know what you mean! I haven't taken any before shots, I see all I need to see in a full length mirror after a shower, lol. I did see some pics of me that my husband took a few weeks ago, and all I could think was "who the hell is this person?" It's motivating and frustrating at the same time.

Eleanor, it's good to hear that someone lost a decent amount of weight a little at a time! I think I need to step my cardio up more and not just count the walking I end up doing at work. You would think I'd be a little more productive tonight and get out to do stuff since GOMI is still down, but I"m here in the office relaxing while the boss is on vacation.
  • GettingMooreInShape
    Options
    I'm getting back on track this week after a weekend outing for my friend's 21st (that resulted in no exercise and poor eating for the following 10 days straight!) I recorded my heaviest weight EVER towards the end of last week. Boo.

I have done a healthy grocery shopping and planned out most of my meals for this week in advance. This always helps me stay on track so I don't automatically turn to copious amounts of trail mix or chocolate for dinner. And midterms are finally over! My stress levels are back to somewhat normal, though I am still struggling with depression. Thinking about going on medication for this, but that's another topic for another day.

I found a group here on MFP called "Binge-eating support group" that seems like it'll be a huge help when the stress and the workload pick back up. Next weekend will be a challenge as we're having a big family reunion and, as always, there will be too much great food. But for now, I'll focus on one day at a time!

This morning I had a short run and some light weight training. My strength is pretty pathetic, as are my running abilities, but its important to me at least get out there and try to do something athletic.

How was your weekend? Anything exciting going on this week?
  • branfran2011
    Options
    I had a decent weekend, nothing too exciting. I stayed under on my food calories, but I know I went over with the margaritas I had last night, lol.

I've been trying to stay motivated and stick with C25K and actually finish this time. I had been doing yoga and while it makes me feel really good, it doesn't seem like a great fat burner, so my plan is to do C25K the three times a week it says to do it, and yoga on the off days. Sundays will be my rest day and I'll try not to obsess over having a few drinks that day. My running skills suck, but I like feeling like I've accomplished something when it's over.

I've been struggling with depression too, ever since my hysterectomy back in April. Part of it I think is hormones (or lack thereof actually), and part of it is the weight I've gained since then. The ironic part is the antidepressant I take can make me gain more weight, which would make me even more depressed.

Other than that, I'm just plugging along, trying to stay motivated :)
  • bhnguyen82
    bhnguyen82 Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    I haven't weighed myself in nearly 2 months, since my scale is completely inaccurate in my rental house's very uneven floors. It was frustrating at first, as I'd weigh myself every day to see if I was on track. And it worked-- if my weight stalled or went up, I'd know it was because I indulged in french fries or frosted banana cake the day before, and I'd be more careful the next day, and then the numbers would go down.

Now, I have to rely on entirely other ways of measuring progress, and I've been paying a lot more attention to non-scale victories:

I take progress pictures every now and then on my phone, and though lately there hasn't been a huge change in the overall appearance, I do notice more muscle definition (and sadly, smaller boobs). I'm so glad I took a "before" picture in March because now when I get discouraged, I just do a side-by-side comparison to see how far I've come.

I go a lot by how I feel in clothes, and I'm always happy to see when clothes feel less tight, and going down on belt holes, even items I've only bought a few weeks ago. I know we always get told not to buy clothes a size under, hoping we'll fit into it, but nowadays if I'm between sizes, I'll buy the smaller size and a few weeks later I'll find that it fits. I never thought this could happen! I'm stoked!

I do a lot of bodyweight exercises and I can totally see how much stronger I am / easier things are. I add reps and I modify exercises to make them tougher to keep challenging myself.

I still track my calories, but I'm much more mindful of WHAT I eat as opposed to how much I eat. Like, 200 calorie of fruit is better than 200 calories in a frappucino, kind of thing.

I'm also less neurotic about exercise. I used to think that to be an OMG RUNNER I had to run at least 4 times a week and I had to strive for better pace blablabla. Now, I run if it's a gorgeous day, as a treat to myself. And I run however fast or slow I want.

So I guess it's true what they say, that chucking your scale can be freeing. For the first time ever I do feel like the focus is more on health than on numbers, and I feel like I'm starting to get the hang of this balance thing. At this point I feel like my weight loss has slowed down a lot, I figure I probably have another 10 to lose but I know these last few pounds are tricky, and I'm happy for them to go away slowly while I keep on enjoying life.

ETA JEEZ sorry for the wallotext
  • bhnguyen82
    bhnguyen82 Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    I had a decent weekend, nothing too exciting. I stayed under on my food calories, but I know I went over with the margaritas I had last night, lol.

I've been trying to stay motivated and stick with C25K and actually finish this time. I had been doing yoga and while it makes me feel really good, it doesn't seem like a great fat burner, so my plan is to do C25K the three times a week it says to do it, and yoga on the off days. Sundays will be my rest day and I'll try not to obsess over having a few drinks that day. My running skills suck, but I like feeling like I've accomplished something when it's over.

I've been struggling with depression too, ever since my hysterectomy back in April. Part of it I think is hormones (or lack thereof actually), and part of it is the weight I've gained since then. The ironic part is the antidepressant I take can make me gain more weight, which would make me even more depressed.

Other than that, I'm just plugging along, trying to stay motivated :)

Hamhugs for the depression bit... Are you seeing a therapist?

And I LOVED the C25K. The feeling of accomplishment is great, even when I had to repeat weeks. Whenever I get injured and have to stop running for awhile, I tend to fall back on C25K to build up my endurance back again. Go you!
  • notthatNaomi
    Options
    I haven't posted here in quite awhile. I need to go back and read through see what I've missed. I think the last time I posted I had lost about 6 lbs, but then I basically gained it all back. I get down to low 140's and then just seem to screw it up over and over again.
    So, I started over-again-and am down to 142/143. I really need to read/post more on here to keep my motivation up.