Exercise calories

Options
Hi all!

Using my fitbit charge 3 with MFP, I managed to clock in 20000 steps today so ive somehow gained 1936 extra calories to burn, surely this isnt right?

I did turn off my iphone logging data today so maybe thats screwed things up?

will test for the next few days thanks :)

Replies

• violasmith85
    violasmith85 Posts: 274 Member
    Options
    Were you hiking? One time I went on an intense hike in the woods and it showed I had burned over 4k calories.
  • petrocoetsee
    petrocoetsee Posts: 829 Member
    Options
    How intense was your heart rate?
  • jessiedawn8400
    jessiedawn8400 Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    What is your activity level set at in MFP? If its sedentary, with that many steps, an adjustment like that is quite possible.
  • NaNaBee12
    NaNaBee12 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    My steps are not counting calories at all! It is is recorded as 0 the last 2 days.
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options
    NaNaBee12 wrote: »
    My steps are not counting calories at all! It is is recorded as 0 the last 2 days.

Steps is merely a figure synced over to MFP and displayed.
    Much like glasses of water.

Daily calorie burn is it's own figure synced over and used by MFP to correct itself.

So you have to be more clear because what happens isn't what you describe.

You syncing to Fitbit account?
    Got your MFP settings for Step Source set to Fitbit account?
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    edited September 2019
    Options
    Hi all!

Using my fitbit charge 3 with MFP, I managed to clock in 20000 steps today so ive somehow gained 1936 extra calories to burn, surely this isnt right?

I did turn off my iphone logging data today so maybe thats screwed things up?

will test for the next few days thanks :)

Could easily be possible if a lot of distance to those steps.
    That's what actually is used for estimates of calorie burn - distance, not steps.

And if that distance isn't correct because the default stride length isn't right on - then bad distance and bad calorie burn.

Or if HR was up just barely above about 90 - then device probably used HR-based calorie burn.
    And at the bottom of the exercise range like that - inflated calorie burn.

And if this is starting to use device in 1st 2 weeks before it has calculated some variables for you personally - inflated even more probably.

So could be good enough Adjustment, also could be inflated for several known reasons.
  • AKTipsyCat
    AKTipsyCat Posts: 240 Member
    Options
    I just clocked in 20K steps on Saturday and got back close to 1K in calories... but it was a slow walk along the coastal trail in Anchorage - about 8.5 miles total. Other than hitting a few hills, I never really even breathed heavy - so if your walk had elevations, or you did something else that may have raised your heart rate (my burner is when I do Hot Yoga) you will get more extra calories.