WEEK 2 GROUP CHALLENGE BY THE SLIMPOSSIBLES

Options
This week's challenge is compliments of Slimpossibles motivator @AustinRuadhain and captain/motivator @TeresaW2010. @TeresaW1020 pointed out, "Practicing mindfulness and learning to understand our triggers is so key to getting control over our emotions which for me have so often ended with me stuffing my face and not even realizing it until I was done."

So, as we work towards out weight loss and health goals, we all have many thoughts or feelings. The big thing is not to let them stop us.

So here's a game you can try playing with yourself, if it seems like it might be helpful. If this doesn't call to you, no worries.

Take a few quiet minutes several times over the next week to breathe. Just breathe, and notice your breath (in, out, in, out...). If you do this for several minutes, you may find your focus on your breath interrupted by a thought or feeling. When you become aware of a thought or feeling that is grabbing your attention, say to yourself "I am having the thought I am (a loser... or whatever)" or "I am having the feeling of (sadness... or whatever) now." Labeling your thoughts and feelings as they arise helps you put a little distance between you and your thoughts or feelings. See if this helps you relate to thoughts and feelings at other times as... just thoughts and feelings.
(adapted from Thinkmindfully.com)

Another way to relate is to think of your thoughts and feelings as bubbles in a glass of soda. You aren't attached to any particular bubble. You are just watching the bubbles as they appear, and then rise. The thoughts and feelings do their thing. You can observe and include that, and then get back to work doing the things that help you get healthier!

ciwulbn0gbrl.png

Replies

• kilobykilo
    kilobykilo Posts: 800 Member
    Options
    I'm going to give this a go. I need less time mindlessly watching tv, flicking through insta etc so some meditating/breathing sounds perfect to work into my routine..... going to aim for two minutes tomorrow morning after my shower and get some thoughts labelled and boxed
  • jugar
    jugar Posts: 10,127 Member
    Options
    I wasn't going to do this. But I spent a few minutes this morning breathing on my exercise mat. On my back. The stiffness leftover from shoulder exercises and flute practice (harder on the shoulders than it looks!) really needed some time to relax. A few minutes of breathing was amazing. So now I'll keep at this and see where it takes me beyond just releasing some muscle tension and soreness. Thanks!
  • micki48
    micki48 Posts: 2,266 Member
    Options
    I got up earlier than usual (not really my thing) and changed my morning routine. I sat on my porch in the predawn slightly cooler air and consciously listened to my breaths and the sounds around me. A little later, I did 15 minutes of Pilates. Usually I get up and go directly to my phone to see what’s up. It was a very nice change.
  • SallyLuvsFitness
    SallyLuvsFitness Posts: 13,724 Member
    Options
    I am in totally in mindfulness! Great Exercise above, love!

I also use a free app insight timer that I Love! 💗💗💗💗
  • kilobykilo
    kilobykilo Posts: 800 Member
    Options
    Tried this last night with limited success! Will have another go today!
  • jugar
    jugar Posts: 10,127 Member
    Options
    I know there have not been a ton of posts here, but for me, this was a really helpful challenge. I started off without any expectations of success, but it has been a positive part of the whole week. I have come back to some kind of mindfulness, however briefly, a few times a day, and it is growing on me! I just downloaded some morning guided meditations to take it a bit further. Thanks!