Superior RR and Q&A

Options
MNLittleFinn
MNLittleFinn Posts: 4,271 Member
Here is my RR for Superior. If anyone has questions about the race, or questions in general about the insanity of ultra running, feel free to ask!

________________________________________________________________________________________________

I thought that running the 2018 Zumbro Endurance run, in a blizzard, would be the hardest thing I have ever done. Superior smiled and said “you ain’t seen nothing.”

Superior. Where do I start? Maybe with the quick, easy stuff. The Superior 100 Mile Endurance Run is a 103 mile ultra marathon on the Superior Hiking Trail in Northern Minnesota. With breathtaking views of Lake Superior, inland lakes and forests, river crossings, roots, rocks, and mud; Superior is equal parts beautiful and brutal. Throw in 21,000 feet of climbing, and it can hold its own against most any mountain ultra. There are no huge climbs. Instead, as race director John Storkamp puts it, it is a death of a thousand cuts. The race lives up to its motto: Rugged, Relentless, Remote.

Gooseberry to Splitrock. 9.7 miles
My wife, my son, and Matt, my crew chief saw me off at the start. We got there early, the atmosphere was electric. Seeing over a hundred other racers, ready to go, it was amazing. I was a ball of nerves, just waiting to go and ready to run. Soon enough it happened, and we were off, on the paved bike trail that was the first four miles of the course. Time flew, I ran and chatted with friends and new friends. After no time, we turned off the paved trail and onto the “real” trail, the Superior hiking trail, my home for the next 99 miles.
Here the relentlessness began. Up, down, up down, repeat. Through green forests, with just the first golden and red signs of fall on some trees. It was here that I had a realization. I wanted to make my time goal but, with the joy of the trail on me, I really didn’t care. As long as I made it to Lutsen before 10PM on Saturday, I would be OK. Even the wet crossing at the Split Rock river wasn’t bad. At the crossing the water was only 4-5 inches deep, the current strong enough to push my leg, but not unbalance me. It was a beautiful day, and everything seemed to be just fine.
Well, that’s what I thought. Somewhere between 7 and 8 miles in, the line of runners stopped, and a call came back down the line “does anyone have an epi-pen?” someone had gotten stung by a bee and had an allergic reaction. Fortunately another runner had theirs (and their crew had more) and the medicine was passed up the line. I have my WFR, and wanted to see if I could help. One of my friends, who is a RN was helping the stricken runner. She gave him the shot, and handed off the epi-pen to me. We got the cover back on and, since there was plenty of help, I handed the used pen back and headed toward the AS, wanting to make double sure that they were informed of what had happened. A mile later, my rear hurting from my own bee sting, I saw my friend rick the captain of the AS. I asked if he knew about the injured runner and he let me know that they did and that more help was on the way. Feeling better about the situation I ran the last 100 yards to the AS to refuel.
I hadn’t used all of my Tailwind, but I did a full reload anyway, it was feeling warmer than I had expected, and I knew that I had more than 10 miles to the next AS. the slide on my water bladder jammed when I was putting it back on. I cursed it out, shoved the bladder the rest of the way into the bag, and headed out. Next Stop, Beaver Bay.

Splitrock to Beaver Bay 10.3 miles
Heading back up the hill from the AS, I stuck with a group of other runners.. We chatted, we ran, we hiked. This section, for me, is most notable for the climbs up, down, and across horseshoe and Christmastree ridges. Up, across, down, I think there’s a pattern forming here…. The day was warming up, and the run felt good. I really don’t remember a lot about this section, just that it felt LONG, even though it was beautiful. The climbs were enough to make me hike, and it was hard to get a rythm to my running. Finally, I saw the sign, “Beaver Bay 2.5 miles.” The home stretch. The trail got harder, it seemed, a final rude gesture to me as I readied for the descent to Beaver bay. I wanted to run, I wanted to fly,, to the AS in Beaver bay. The wet boardwalks had a different idea. Slowed to a walk over the slick, slippery wood, I finally was able to run well the last 50 yards into the AS where my friend Matt Waited forme.
This was a quick stop AS, Give Matt my vest for a refill, fill him in on the last 20miles and head out. Matt quickly got my bladder filled and I got some ginger ale, and it was time to head out again.

Beaver Bay to Silver Bay 4.9 miles
Chowing down on some potato chips, I walked/jogged along the gravel road leading from the AS. the day was still young and the weather was nice. Crossing, then parallelling the Beaver river, I felt at home. I’d run this section many times and knew what to expect. After about 2 miles, I began to climb. This section gets vertical and technical after the first few miles. I was taking it easy, knowing that I was behind the 30 hour “goal” splits, but feeling good, which mattered more.
Then the heat hit. There is a lot of exposed ridgeline and rock face along this section, and I got my first real taste of the heat of the day. This was an expected, if unwelcome happening. Following along with some other runners, I enjoyed the camaraderie of the trail and was having a good time. Finally, we hit the downhill into Silver Bay. This is a place I normally go fast but, with 25 miles on my legs, and several runners in front of me, I took a more cautious approach. Getting into the AS, I met up with Matt and got reloaded. This was another, somewhat fast turn around. I was feeling good, if not fresh, and wanted to get onto my favorite section of trail.

Silver Bay to Tettegouche State Park 9.9 miles
Heading out from the AS, I felt good. I was tired, with 25 miles on my legs, but this is one of my favorite places. The first three miles of the section are mostly climbing, with one somewhat notable downhill and some flat. Two and a half miles in you get an awesome view of Bean lake. looking down the cliffs into the water is one of the reasons this is my favorite section of trail. After a little more climbing, I began the descent to Bear lake. The descent was fun, if a little slower than I would have liked. I was with other runners, who didn’t know the trail as well, and I’m too shy to yell out and pass people. We hit the bottom of the hill and began the short, steep climb past Bear lake.
Mile 5 of the section is mostly downhill. I took it easy, chatting with other runners and enjoying the weather and the day. I knew what was coming. The Mt. Trudee climb is 500 feet of pain packed into just under a mile and a half. The high point of the section. It is a SLOG! But the views are worth it. I love looking down at the surrounding countryside. This section was tough, the bright sun and high humidity really sapped my energy. I also had my first cramps of the race. They would not be my last. The final downhill miles into the Tettegouche AS were a blessing.
Getting into the AS, I met Matt, and his friend Jason, who had volunteered to come out and help me. Let me say this now, I had never met Jason before, he came out just because he wanted to help another runner. This is one of the things I LOVE about the trail/ultra community. At the AS, I changed shoes, as planned, because 34 miles is enough for one pair. Matt reloaded my vest while Jason took notes on the section and they got me soup and some ginger ale and I was on my way.

Tettegouche State Park to County Road 6 8.6 miles
The Tettegouche to CR6 section greets you with a nice run, down to the Baptism River. Then you climb. With the exception of one big downhill, you climb for the next 6 miles, and you make up for that downhill by climbing past that elevation along this section. At the beginning of the section, I met up with another runner, who didn’t have a lamp with him. I told him I’d stick with him until the next AS where his lamp was. Our goal: reach CR6 before needing a light. My theory was, if I stuck with him, we’d reach the AS before lights were needed, but if I just kept going, then it would take longer and be dark before either of us arrived, because, well, Superior seems like a course to play that kind of trick on you. This section both sucks and is amazing. The never ending climbing drains you, but the views are worth it.
As if to prove that Superior hates me, it began to rain. At first this seemed to be a gift, cooling and cleansing me, after the long dirty, hot miles before. However, like Loki, Superior is a trickster. The same rain that felt so good also spelled doom. The first chafing started about 6 miles in. Also, the rocks that I normally would have easily ran across became wet and slick, slowing me, as each step became a guessing game of whether or not I would go tumbling down.
Finally, FINALLY! I made it to the AS, and before dark! Waiting here was an awesome sight. The rest of my crew, my mom and my brother, had arrived in time to greet me here. I took some time at this AS, applying more SNB and getting some water and ginger ale, while my crew reloaded my vest. When I was loaded up, I gave my mom a hug and headed out for the push to the halfway point.

County Road 6 to Finland 7.7 miles
This section was mostly all the same. Rolling hills and moderately rooty singletrack. The one thing that stands out about this section, is the beaver dam. Imagine trying to run/hike 400 meters of boardwalk across a beaver dam. Now make the boardwalk rickety. Now make it wet. Oh, also, it’s dark out now, so you’re doing this with artificial light. Oh, yeah, there are many places were the weeds have grown over the boardwalk so you basically have to walk, to ensure you don’t step off the side of the zig-zaging boardwalk. Fortunately I had some companionship during this stretch. I had met up with another runner whose plan was to just hike through the night, survival was the name of the game. With someone to talk to, this section went fairly fast, and we made it to the Finland Rec Center and the halfway point.
At the AS, I started downing coffee. I also got my charger so I could make sure my watch lasted through the night. More coffee, more caffeine, reload Tailwind and I was just about ready to go. I looked for my running buddy and we headed out into the dark, the path illuminated by my Kogalla.

Replies