November 7 Sign In

Options
RangerRickL
RangerRickL Posts: 8,469 Member
Did I exercise for at least 20 minutes?
Did I stay within my calorie budget for the day?
Did I keep track of everything I ate and drank?

Replies

• RangerRickL
    Options
    ib7dx6wqjxcj.jpg

Tracking Right Now!

Tracking of caloric intake and caloric output should be done contemporaneously...Right Now!

If you wait until the end of the day to track your calories, you are fooling yourself and missing out on critical feedback. When you use the MFP app to record your calories as you consume them, you will be much more thoughtful about what you put into your body. In addition, if you choose to go a little heavy at breakfast or lunch, you will have that information in time to make adjustments for later in the day. For example: If you discover that you only have 350 calories left for your evening meal, you can make good choices to both eat lightly and/or do some evening exercise.
    Whether or not you choose to 'eat back' some or all of the exercise calories that you 'earn' is up to you. The UAC has no rules about how you choose to spend or use your exercise calories.
    In fact, our teammates vary considerably in how they treat their exercise calories.
    If you have been with the UAC for awhile, please share your own personal choices in how you treat exercise calories.
    Personally, I am encouraged to do more exercise when I know that it gives me an increase above my base caloric limit of 2000 calories per day.
  • RangerRickL
    Options
    Do you 'eat back' exercise calories?
  • Impala007
    Impala007 Posts: 293 Member
    Options

I have been logging 20K steps/day several times over the past week which my tracker equates to around 1500 calories. How accurate this is I have no idea, but being conservative I only allow myself to log 500 exercise calories....... besides eating 1500 exercise calories kinda defeats the purpose.
    My plan is to make every attempt to stay under my allotted daily calorie limit of 1800 and use my exercise calories as insurance, so to speak, so I can still log a Y each day for “under calories” in the challenge should I exceed it. I’m sure it will happen a few times over the course of the month. Is this misguided?....I don’t know, but I’m going to run with it for now.
  • lexabeep
    lexabeep Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    Yes 3x.
    As for eating back calories I ‘exercise’..... we all know those numbers are not perfect so I do some days when I’m feeling I really need to. Otherwise no.
  • Bill70sStrong
    Bill70sStrong Posts: 1,142 Member
    Options
    @Impala007 - Glad you're on here! We're pretty much neighbors and I have friends in the Eau Claire area.

I never eat exercise calories back. I have no opinion on it one way or another. Just works for me.
  • ConfidentRaven
    ConfidentRaven Posts: 1,428 Member
    Options

Sort of? It really depends on the day, most days are a no, but if I get really hungry and I have a lot of exercise calories I'll eat a little higher. I also have myself set for being lightly active and I've found that since I did that the hungry days are far fewer.

On the note of tracking I track sometimes up to a week in advance and then tweak the day as I need around the actual serving of what I ate. I find that for me having a plan in place makes it easier than trying to figure out the day on the fly. I've also found that this means I can usually have the dinner I want versus having too few calories for something.
  • Dory_42
    Dory_42 Posts: 3,587 Member
    Options
    I don't consider exercise calories in my budget. I work on the same allowance every day regardless of my exercise. I found this works best for me as I know how much I have available and that doesn't change. I have lost weight this way and maintained this way as well so for me it is the best choice.

Today I was absolutely exhausted so skipped the morning gym session. They didn't help my energy levels and the day was a challenge. My body is also sore from a good hard session on Tuesday evening at Jiu Jitsu (getting back after so long off is going to be tough at times) so I decided to skip Jiu Jitsu as well and rest instead. I did get in some active rest though with 20 minutes of stretching and my food choices were within the required limit.
  • vivalavida82
    vivalavida82 Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    I set my activity level as low when I’m actually lightly active so my base calories are pretty low -> 1200.
    I definitely use my exercise calories when I go out. I try to eat them all back though. I estimate them with a HRM, so they should be fairly accurate. I also definitely need some extra food when I go on big ride where I burn 1200 calories.

Today, I did good! I tracked it all and didn’t dip into the exercise calories!
    Did some walking/hiking/biking.
  • lrsirius
    lrsirius Posts: 328 Member
    Options
    Exercise: Yes. 35 minutes walk/run (4th day of none to run).
    Calories:Yes, under
    Tracked:Yes
    No, I don’t eat back exercise calories. Calorie estimates for exercise seem to vary so wildly that I just find them useless. I also like to keep to the same calorie intake every day.
  • w8goal4life
    w8goal4life Posts: 1,375 Member
    Options
    11/7
    Did I exercise for at least 20 minutes? Yes, one hour of laps in a local mall. Chilly in western NY today.
    Did I stay within my calorie budget for the day? Yes
    Did I keep track of everything I ate and drank? Yes

I often eat back most, if not all, of my exercise calories. My base calories, at little activity, are 1400. I, typically, allow myself anywhere between 1500 and 1650 calories daily depending on calories earned from exercise. I maintain at the low end of BMI, so I don't get over excited if I exceed calories resulting in a pass day, now and then.
  • Hollis100
    Hollis100 Posts: 1,408 Member
    Options
    Did I exercise for at least 20 minutes? Yes, gym and another walk
    Did I stay within my calorie budget for the day? Yes, about 300 under

Do I eat back my exercise calories? Yes, about half. I know what I burn at the gym. I also like to walk/jog outside and don't own any fitness devices, so I run my outside time through calculatorsoup.com for speed time distance to get my average speed and use that for MFP. In case all this hocus pocus is inaccurate, I leave a good margin.
  • BonnieHosk85
    BonnieHosk85 Posts: 2,552 Member
    edited November 2019
    Options
    Did I exercise for at least 20 minutes? Yes, elliptical for 30 minutes
    Did I stay within my calorie budget for the day? Yes

I try not to eat back my exercise calories because I don't really trust that they are accurate. :smile:
  • marg804n2
    marg804n2 Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    11/7/19
    exercise for at least 20 minutes? Yes, 30 minute morning workout, 35 minute mall walk
    calorie budget for the day? Yes, 1110 calories
    track everything I ate and drank? Yes