I've gained (healthy) weight (and then some)

Options
In the 2ish years that I've been vegan, I've put on weight - like a lot - about 2 stone. My weight gain wasn't because I became vegan, I gained weight because I stopped eating restrictively and overexercising. Some of the weight I gained was healthy weight that I needed to gain since I was underweight, but the rest has not been, and now I'm at the upper end of a healthy weight range. I am stuck in unhealthy habits like snacking too much - and to be honest sometimes snacking on non-vegan foods - going plant based is a loooong journey for me.

Having read about the protein hypothesis, I wonder if my low protein intake is making me less satiated and more likely to snack (and gain weight). I rarely get 20% of my daily caloric intake from protein. I used to eat so much protein and barely any carbs, but I find it hard to do now. I don't want to increase my protein intake from artificial sources like protein shakes - I have a couple a week but I don't want to rely on them. Also, I am intolerant to soy and get so bloated after eating soy yogurts or too much tofu.

I need help and advice...has anyone else had a similar experience of weight gain, or found that their protein intake was in part responsible? Also, if anyone has any high protein meal plans to share then I'd be grateful.

Replies

• ladyzherra
    ladyzherra Posts: 438 Member
    Options
    Thanks for sharing. I can relate to what you wrote here.

Yes, protein deficit is real and I have found that when I take is low for a period of time, even a short period, then things fall out of balance quickly.

Getting enough has been hard some days. I keep a quality protein powder on hand for when I definitely haven't met my goals. I like amazing grass brand.

Also, I cube up tofu or add a half can of beans to my meals if they lack protein. It's a very quick fix.

About the weight gain, I hear you there, too.

I am at the upper range for my height, too. I am learning to disregard numbers and go on how I feel. It's hard. But I have found that when I can limit some of this societal expectation, I actually am more likely to lose weight. Hang in there!