MadisonMolly2017 Posts: 10,975 Member
edited November 2019 in Social Groups
u2nanldd1ail.jpg

What will you do this month?

Replies

• 77tes
    77tes Posts: 7,758 Member
    Options
    To help get us going, I copied a previous post from @themedalist.

If it's useful, you might frame your goal along these lines:

1. My goal for this month (This November I will...")
    2. The small actions I’ll be taking to accomplish this goal
    3. The trigger or cue to remember to do my habit
    4. How often will you do your new habit (daily is best if possible)
    5. What reward will you immediately give yourself for doing your habit?
    6. What help do you need from us?
    7. What does success look like to you at the end of November?

If you are new to our group, welcome! Let us know what your goal is and how we can help. If you're wondering why we suggest the format above, the CUE-ACTION-REWARD loop is the recommended structure for building all new habits. Want to learn more about habits? Check out this guide. And If you're stumped by what to work on this month, our list of previous challenges can help.
  • 77tes
    77tes Posts: 7,758 Member
    Options
    I love November because it is when the weather actually starts to cool here in L.A.

Last August @TwistedSassette had an intermittent fasting goal, and it actually introduced me to the idea. I'm reading the book Genius Foods by Max Laguvere, and intermittent fasting is one of his recommendations to improve cognitive function. Seeing the sad decline in my BIL, I'm inspired to make my diet help support my aging brain.

1. This November I will practice intermittent fasting, going 12-14 hours between dinner and breakfast.
    2. The small actions I’ll be taking to accomplish this goal - not eat from dinner time until a late breakfast.
    3. The trigger or cue to remember to do my habit. I won't eat after dinner, so I'll brush/floss my teeth immediately after dinner.
    4. How often will you do your new habit. I;ll do it daily but my schedule on Tuesday night/Wednesday morning will be challenging because I work late on Tuesday night so I don't get dinner done until about 9 pm, but have an early morning class on Wednesday morning.
    5. What reward will you immediately give yourself for doing your habit? A fun icon on my list.
    6. What help do you need from us? Cheer me on - you are great at this.
    7. What does success look like to you at the end of November? This practice will feel normal and I'll be sleeping better. Hopefully, my brain will be healthier although I don't know how I'd be able to measure that.

November 1-2 14 hours. :)
  • themedalist
    themedalist Posts: 3,212 Member
    Options
    I'm really glad @MadisonMolly2017 and @77tes started our monthly thread! I've been dealing with a very sick dog the last 3 days (Giardia) and I'm exhausted. It's like living with a colicky newborn. Fortunately, he's on meds so I anticipate he'll start feeling better soon and back to normal in about a week.

I'm stepping back into our monthly habit practice by focusing on squats. You know how you can look at something and see it one way and then one day see it in a new light? I have a wonderful treadmill. For years I have I used it for exercising, especially when the weather is bad. Then about 6 years ago, I realized I could use my treadmill for so many more things. By slowing the speed way down, I could walk slowly and read on my Kindle, watch videos, check and respond to Facebook and Twitter, send emails...etc. It's worked out so well for me that now I only read books while walking on my treadmill (one of my "rules").

But this week, I noticed another use for it! Squats! There are study bars on 3 sides of the front of my treadmill and that's perfect to do squats. And since I'm on my treadmill 1 to 4 times a day (I love to read and like to read in 15 minute blocks), my treadmill sessions are also the perfect cue!

1. This November I will do lots of squats!
    2. The small actions I’ll be taking to accomplish this goal: Before I step off of my treadmill, I will do 10 squats.
    3. The trigger or cue to remember to do my habit: Treadmill
    4. How often will you do your new habit: Daily
    5. What reward will you immediately give yourself for doing your habit?: A "Nicely done!" shout out to myself.
    6. What help do you need from us?: Encouragement
    7. What does success look like to you at the end of November? Sore thighs? :) And maybe I increase the count to 15 or 20?
  • themedalist
    Options
    77tes wrote: »

If you are new to our group, welcome! Let us know what your goal is and how we can help. If you're wondering why we suggest the format above, the CUE-ACTION-REWARD loop is the recommended structure for building all new habits. Want to learn more about habits? Check out this guide. And If you're stumped by what to work on this month, our list of previous challenges can help.

The Habits Guide is here:

https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10700000/oct-8-weekly-challenge-how-habits-work

List of Previous Challenges:

https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10703715/ideas-for-monthly-challenges
  • MadisonMolly2017
    Options
    Awesome “I will’s” @77tes & @themedalist !
    I’m sorry to hear about your BIL & your dog, but happy to read of great LA weather & treadmill successes!!
  • nebslp
    nebslp Posts: 1,648 Member
    Options
    I'm really excited about this month and my new goal. I've been reading a lot about food nutrients and macros. There's this thing going around now that's IIFYM (If it fits your macros). I used to be one of those people who looked at that balance when I was counting calories and was more concerned with the numbers, not the nutrient source. You can have a diet that balances your carbs, fat, and protein numbers but still be missing out on key nutrients. So it looks good, but won't feel so great down the road.

1. This November I will plan my meals focusing on getting nutrient dense foods that fit my macro goals.
    2. The small actions I’ll be taking to accomplish this goal: Every night I will make sure I have my meals planned for the next day before going to bed.
    3. The trigger or cue to remember to do my habit: When I review my daily food log at the end of the day, I will check to make sure I have the next day planned, and if not, I will do it then.
    4. How often will you do your new habit: Daily
    5. What reward will you immediately give yourself for doing your habit?: I will allow myself 15 minutes of game time.
    6. What help do you need from us?: Encouragement
    7. What does success look like to you at the end of November? A more disciplined life. I will have established a habit of planning my meals every day. My food choices will have improved and I will be cutting out (some of) the junk even if it fits my macros!

• MadisonMolly2017
    Options
    My November “I will”:

Going simpler this month 😁
    A. Tracking Net Carbs are in my targets (which will change as I lose more weight, but are now 135-142 Net Carbs, Under 45 per meal (except breakfast that can be up to 50)

Why am I doing this? I’ve been stressed that I can’t slow the gradual upwards creep of my weight since maintenance 6 months ago. Looked back & saw I was eating far fewer Net carbs. Did some research. Decided to eat at moderate carb level. And it worked! I’m down to my lowest weight since. And my the last time I had thus 10-day Trend Weight was July 11th.

Continuing until Nov 9 or until I am under 155 consistently., whichever comes first.

B. Intrigued by what I’ve been reading & @77tes’s post, I’m going to track my overnight fasting time. I had thought it had to be 16 hours, but a friend’s hospital nutritionist said Intermittent Fasting has been shown to reduce cancer (not sure if recurrence or first time as well.) I asked how long she suggested fasting, and my friend said 12-14 hours. !!!! I think I do that. So let’s see if I do! 🤣

I will post my
    1. Time I ate breakfast,
    2. Hours elapsed since prior days last eating
    3. Net Carbs
    4. Largest # of net carbs per meal/snack day,
    5. My daily weigh-in

Oct 31 7:46 pm
    Nov 1 9:10am, 13:20 , 135, 42, 155.6, 8 pm
    Nov 2 10:30am, 14:30

Reward: “You are doing GREAT!” To myself! Amazing how well that works. AND vastly less stress than I had feeling powerless to the creep...

I do have very mild headache even with gibs of water so I may up my calories over time. Right now I’m not counting exercise calories.
  • texasgardnr
    texasgardnr Posts: 2,658 Member
    Options
    I’m currently out of state helping my nine month pregnant daughter in law. They have a lot going on, including a super active & precious 18 month old. So I’m staying for three weeks until her parents come in.
    My November “I Will” will be twofold: the first is to keep up with my exercise and walking plan as best I can while away. And the second is to keep up with going to sleep like I’ve been working on the last several months. While I’m away that means that I’ll be awake when I need to be, but when all is quiet I won’t stay awake and get distracted, just because it’s quiet and I love solitude.

11-1 airport walking 🏃‍♀️& sleeping✅
    11-2 exercise 🏃‍♀️

👩‍🌾
  • MadisonMolly2017
    Options
    ]My November “I will”:
    A. Tracking Net Carbs are in my targets (which will change as I lose more weight, but are now 135-142 Net Carbs, Under 45 per meal (except breakfast that can be up to 50)

Why am I doing this? I’ve been stressed that I can’t slow the gradual upwards creep of my weight since maintenance 6 months ago. Looked back & saw I was eating far fewer Net carbs. Did some research. Decided to eat at moderate carb level. And it worked! I’m down to my lowest weight since. And my the last time I had thus 10-day Trend Weight was July 11th.

Continuing until Nov 9 or until I am under 155 consistently., whichever comes first.

B. Intrigued by what I’ve been reading & @77tes’s post, I’m going to track my overnight fasting time. I had thought it had to be 16 hours, but a friend’s hospital nutritionist said Intermittent Fasting has been shown to reduce cancer (not sure if recurrence or first time as well.) I asked how long she suggested fasting, and my friend said 12-14 hours. !!!! I think I do that. So let’s see if I do! 🤣

I will post my
    1. Time I ate breakfast,
    3. Net Carbs
    4. Largest # of net carbs per meal/snack day,
    5. My daily weigh-in

Nov 1 9:10am, 13:20 , 135, 42, 155.6, 8 pm
    Nov 2 10:30am, 14:30, 140, 48, 155.0, 7pm
    Nov 3

Reward: “You are doing GREAT!” To myself! Amazing how well that works. AND vastly less stress than I had feeling powerless to the creep...
  • MadisonMolly2017
    Options
    ]]My November “I will”:

I will post my
    1. Time I ate breakfast,
    3. . My daily weigh-in
    4. Net Carbs
    5. Largest # of net carbs per meal/snack day,
    6. Time last meal ended.

Nov 1 9:10am, 13:20, 155.6, 135, 42, 8 pm
    Nov 2 10:30am, 14:30, 155.0, 140, 48, 7pm
    Nov 3 9:45 (10:45) 15:45 154.6!!

• PackerFanInGB
    PackerFanInGB Posts: 3,334 Member
    Options
    I love new months! Feels like a brand new start to me.

1. This November I will do 30 minutes of intentional activity 4 out of 7 days per week
    2. The small actions I’ll be taking to accomplish this goal: Set out my exercise clothes in the morning so I see them when I get home from work.
    3. The trigger or cue to remember to do my habit: Finishing dinner dishes. I will exercise between dinner clean up and watching our 7 pm TV shows. I will set an alarm on my phone to go off at 6:15 pm to remind me.
    4. How often will you do your new habit: 4 out of 7 days per week. I have to start slow or I will set myself up for failure.
    5. What reward will you immediately give yourself for doing your habit?: A nice hot shower and moisturizing pamper session before bed.
    6. What help do you need from us?: I like @nebslp's answer....Encouragement! :smile:
    7. What does success look like to you at the end of November? I will be able to do 30 minutes of cardio easier than I can now...less breathless and less joint pain.

I hope you all have a wonderful week! I have much to do to get ready for tomorrow, since we had a crazy busy weekend! (((HUGS))) all around!
  • themedalist
    Options
    My Progress so far:

i5c8zyepygot.jpeg

Nov 1: Nope
    Nov 2: ✅
    Nov 3: ✅
  • znaoiec
    znaoiec Posts: 1,984 Member
    Options
    Happy to start a new month. October was pretty challenging and I feel like I have another challenging month ahead of me. I plan to keep my goals fairly simple.

1. This November I will a) continue to be 'tidy' b) read my affirmations & c) log my food regardless of what I eat or where I am
    2. The small actions I’ll be taking to accomplish this goal: Setting daily reminders for myself
    3. The trigger or cue to remember to do my habit: Reminder app on my phone
    4. How often will you do your new habit: Hopefully daily but accept that I will not always be 100%
    5. What reward will you immediately give yourself for doing your habit?: It isn't immediate but I can give myself time at the end of the day that is without distraction or taking care of others
    6. What help do you need from us?: Encouragement and accountability
    7. What does success look like to you at the end of November? I will be able to look at the app on my phone where I track these new habits and see that I made a real effort towards positive change.

This is the time of year when I always struggle with my weight. It is filled with lots of food related events and I also have a tendency to be affected by SAD. Reading @77tes post has be thinking again about fasting. I have done this in the past but have not been consistent about it for some time. I did not realize that it improved cognitive function. Maybe this is a time to start again?
    @MadisonMolly2017, I really didn't not know what net carbs were and had to look this up. I am now curious and will have to pay attention to this after I log my foods.

Waving hello to all!
  • MadisonMolly2017
    Options
    ]]My November “I will”:

I will post my
    1. Time I ate breakfast,
    3. . My daily weigh-in
    4. Net Carbs
    5. Largest # of net carbs per meal/snack day,
    6. Time last meal ended.

Nov 3 9:45 (10:45) 15:45 154.6!! 149,59, 7pm
    Nov 4

• nebslp
    Options
    Meal planning based on macros during November
    31 🙂
    1 🙂
    2 It was hard to plan because we will be going out after a vball game but I don’t know when or where. I did my best guesstimate and will fill in the blanks tomorrow when I get home.
    3 Again going out for lunch tomorrow but have a better idea of my choices 🙂
  • MadisonMolly2017
    Options
    My November “I will”:

I will post my
    1. Time Of first bite
    3. Hours elapsed since prior days last eating
    4. . My daily weigh-in
    5. Net Carbs
    6. Largest # of net carbs per meal/snack day,
    7. Time of last bite

Nov 3 9:45 (10:45) 15:45 154.6!! 149,59, 7:30
    Nov 4 9:15 13:45, 154.2!!!!

• MadisonMolly2017
    Options
    nebslp wrote: »
    Meal planning based on macros during November
    31 🙂
    1 🙂
    2 It was hard to plan because we will be going out after a vball game but I don’t know when or where. I did my best guesstimate and will fill in the blanks tomorrow when I get home.
    3 Again going out for lunch tomorrow but have a better idea of my choices 🙂

Awesome planning @nebslp!! Yay!!
  • nebslp
    Options
    @MadisonMolly2017 You are doing GREAT!! Controlling even one variable definitely helps with feeling more in charge of our life and less a victim of circumstance.

I spent some time entering different lunch choices on MFP before I went out today and observed how the different combinations affected my macro ratio and chose my food on the basis of that. Macro planning makes more sense for me than just trying to control my calories. My husband cooks most days so it’s hard to pre plan but I’m giving it my best effort even if I have to change up or eliminate my evening snacks after eating supper to get the best possible ratio. I’m learning🙂
  • MadisonMolly2017
    Options
    @nebslp
    I totally agree!
    I’ve worked with my macros since my Txplant nov 3017 or shortly before. Thus approach makes sense if our goal is health!

I love that we are all in this together!

Have you considered (I read this a year back somewhere), beginning your 24 hours of tracking just before hubby’s prepared dinner until just before dinner in the next day? Since your dinner is the most variable & most out of your control, it might actually be less stressful?!

Just a thought!

I read we should eat 3/4 of our calories prior to dinner, so I eat larger breakfast and med-large lunch. Dinner is then just balancing the macros.
  • nebslp
    Options
    @MadisonMolly2017 Your idea is so interesting, one that I had never ever thought about. Hmmmm🤔 I will be thinking about how that 24 hour planning over 2 days could work. It makes a lot of sense because by mid afternoon I know what my husband has decided to make and I already know my breakfast and lunch options for the next day. It just kinda turns my brain upside down a little 🙃

It’s good to hear ideas from someone who’s tried a few things and is willing to share experiences. Thanks!