frustration with weight

Options
SO for the last week I have felt great! i am almost to a "normal , nonpregnant " workout routine. I have cut back my calories and STILL I have put on weight. I have been truly honest on my recording of food. And I jsut dont know what to do anymore. I really want to hold this weight for a 3-4 weeks before I have another gain , but seems down right impossible. Today I know I have some swelling. And the weight jump could be from that. But still if its 2 lb water Im still up 2 lbs! in the last week it will be 4 lbs... I was better off eating more calories :P ARG!!! I jsut dont understand! Any suggestions? Im at a loss. How can I get rid of this fluid? Safely!

Replies

• Hjbaker
    Hjbaker Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    Hi there.
    I don't really have any advice but just wanted to say keep positive and relax!!
    As long as you aren't eating too much salt, any water retention you have should work itself out provided that you keep hydrated and continue to work out.

Is there a reason you have cut back your calories when you are pregnant?
  • mommy_hood
    mommy_hood Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    So...lol I am going to say this and this is not me fussing because I am the WORST for this ... lol.... but it is prolly your sodium levels that are causing you to LOOK like you are gaining weight too fast... the reason I say this is because I have lost 9 lbs since being pregnant and I am almost 16 weeks... I have been given permission to lose, maintain, and not to gain over 10 pounds... I started out at 225 and 4 days ago I weighed 216 . I have eaten like total crap the last 3 days .... REALLY BAD... I just stepped on the scale , and I have not had my dinner yet and I weigh 223.... I know that after I eat my dinner or prolly tomorrow morning my weight will be over 225.... that means 10 lbs of water retention! I know this because I see it all the time because I struggle with sodium... I never see my true loss unless I am good for 3 to 4 days of watching my sodium then I can usually see where I really am... Maybe just maybe that is your issue as well. I see on your diary that you do not watch your sodium but you can go on reports and check your sodium say for the last 90 days and see how many days and how often you go over your sodium to see if this has been your downfall... I have given up stresing on this because I know I can't be good all the time.... so what I do is about 3-4 days before a doctor's apt I try to be good with my sodium and usually for my doctor's appt I am showing my true weight... I keep an eye on my calories everyday but usually only my sodium when I want to know a true weight...

Let me know if the sodium has been your problem... and if that helps you at all... don't stress too much...
  • mommyblessed7
    mommyblessed7 Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    Thanks ladies!

Mommyhood - Good to know.. Ill check the sodium, I know the day before I ate a hotdog and chili.. which is never in my diet lol but I totally crave this pregnancy! I actually hate hotdogs on a normal day lol. And we splurged on other things that could have salt! So definitely worth the look!

hjbaker- Well about the calories. I think I was over eating, and gave myself too much leeway , and didnt want to put on too much weight. This is my 7th baby and I was able to keep my weight to 37 lb my last 2 pregnancies. Im not dieting but with my calories lower and being hungry still it kind of forces me to eat better choices! Makes me think more before I pig out lol but if I stop gaining altogether I will definitely up the calories!
  • mommyblessed7
    Options
    Just checked and my sodium was high the past 2 days! Ill have to keep a good watch . You gals know what is a good amount to aim for?? I have no clue. I dont cook with a lot of salt but we go out sometimes and Im sure that and the hotdog did me in :P
  • mommy_hood
    Options
    2500 mg or less is what you want to try and do... some people need more than that (depending on water intake exercise and how much they sweat etc. ) some people need way less than that... only you will know what number will affect you... I know I can eat around 2800 without it bothering my weight too much but any more than that and it shoots up... I try to stay under 2000 when I want to see a true weight number but maybe you should try less until you learn how many mg's your body can proces ... Like I said sodium is my downfall and I would get depressed on never seeing my numbers drop for a month then I would eat well for 3 to 4 days and then weigh and all of a sudden drop 2 pounds! yeah was not losing it that fast just my salt had my number up and was not able to see that loss... I just checked my report and out of the last 90 days I have been over my sodium 55 days out of 90 so definitely not my best (oops) but my calories I have only been over 6 days out of 90 and in the last 90 days I have lost 11.2 pounds so that averages out to be a little over 3.5 pounds a month.... which I think is pretty good for being pregnant for almost all of that lol...

Good luck!

Also I do not cook with salt but so many things especially processed things are loaded with salt... if you do not mind me asking what has your sodium numbers been at lately?...
  • mommyblessed7
    Options
    Well it looks like the past few days wer in the 5000 .. I looked over the 90 days and it seems like most are around 3000 but i do have spikes , one as high as almost 7000 :O( But tha was on vacation and i had little control over what there was to eat! on a normal day sodium is not an issue but obviously this pregnancy its gonna be at least some of it! Im going to make an effort to count it . As for as processed foods I dont usually have any in the house but since i was so sick at the beginning i bought some for convenience for the kids and ended up eating it as well. Meats are not processed and i hardly even eat of of can unless its tomato sauce , i mostly cook from scratch. i wonder sometimes how accurate my logging is as for as that goes.. sometimes i have to pick from the best choice on the list ...
  • mommy_hood
    Options
    I understand all of that very well lol... well try my advice maybe switch out your sugar counter for sodium and try and stay around 2,000-2,500 for 4 days or so and see if that shows you a lower number on scale.... If it doesn't then maybe sodium isn't your downfall or your sodium is still too high ( seriously doubt 2,000 is too high but I might be wrong ) If it does then don't stress too much just go easier on sodium and maybe only be good sodium wise around doctor appts... lol that's what I do :)

Let me know if that works !
  • mommyblessed7
    Options
    Thanks! I know this is all hit or miss lol :P
  • mommyblessed7
    Options
    well it seems to have worked.. though all efforts will be lost today lol I have no choice to but to eat out today .. visiting family! and while i plan to eat a salad even Wendy's salad has 1500 mg sodium!! there goes the day lol and Lord knows i wont be full with just that :P But im relieved to know the 4 lb gain was in fact fluid! yippy!
  • mommy_hood
    Options
    yay I am glad to hear that it was your sodium that was causing you grief and not true weight... I have had sodium like crazy this weekend and I am still holding about 2 lbs of fluid because I have not lowered my sodium enough.... but I have to start being good in the next day or two because I have a nutritionist apt. coming up and I don't want to get fussed at lol...

Keep us updated !
  • mommyblessed7
    Options
    LOL good luck at the nutritionist! I will keep you posted :)