Stress fracture experiences anyone? :(

AmyOutOfControl
AmyOutOfControl Posts: 1,425 Member
Has anyone on here ever suffered a stress fracture from running? How long did it take to heal? What low/no impact activities did you find helpful while recovering?

I went a little too far with the races in 2019 (4 marathons, 3 1/2 marathons and a handful of 5ks). I am paying for it now.

My MRI last week shows a hip stress reaction (grade 1 stress fracture before it actually cracks), Trochanter bursitis AND gluteal tendinitis. I am starting my New Year with a broken butt! 😢

I meet with the doctor tomorrow to discuss treatment. I know running will be out for a while.

I would love to hear anyone else experiences. Thanks!

Replies

• shanaber
    shanaber Posts: 6,388 Member
    @amymoreorless - OMG that is terrible news but better than if it were actually cracked I think? My nutritionist had a hip stress fracture when she was in college and it took a long time to heal. Maybe yours won't be so long because it hasn't actually cracked yet.

I had a stress fracture in my foot - not nearly as serious as your hip and was down a good 4-5 months of no running (end of 2018 and into 2019) and it has been just recently that my foot is completely pain free.

Hopefully your doctor is a runner or understands runners and will send you to PT when you can, with a goal of being able to run again. It was key for me once I saw the right doctor and got into PT with someone who understood where I was coming from.

Sending you healing thoughts and lots of hugs!!
  • shanaber
    @amymoreorless - how did it go with the doctor? I am hoping you got 'not terrible' news and will only be out for a little while to recover and rehab?
  • AmyOutOfControl
    @shanaber Thanks. I am down for a least 2-3 months. I am half way through 1 week on touch down weight bearing with crutches. They are trying to make everything calm down. The doctor said my hip is “very angry” at me.

Crutches are such a pain! I feel like I can’t do anything!

After crutches I start physical therapy for a least 2 months. I am currently going stir crazy so I am even looking forward to PT. LOL

I lost a 1/2 marathon entry this past Saturday and I am kind-of upset about being out the money.

Lesson learned I guess. Rest really is important after all.
  • Elise4270
    Elise4270 Posts: 8,375 Member
    Ouch @amymoreorless ! I’m glad it was caught before the fracture needed any surgical stabilization. Hopefully they’ll get you back to running before long. Can you swim or bike? Take it easy, no reason to push just yet.
  • shanaber
    @amymoreorless - Will you be able to walk on it after the week on crutches? Not sure you can or should do them but there are all kinds of 'hurt leg/hurt foot' videos on YouTube. Also maybe doing some upper body and core strength training would at least give you some action. I like @elise4270's suggestion of swimming too. With my foot the doc recommended aqua running. It is way harder than you think! Hang in there and take it easy. You will be back running in no time and it will be sooner the better you rest it now.
  • Elise4270
    Elise4270 Posts: 8,375 Member
    I had trochanteric bursitis surgically addressed. Shots didn't help. Butt they might help you. They were painful too. I had high hamstring tendonosis, the rest seemed to have taken care of it.

Sometimes the docs office has a list of patients who had the same ailments and are available for a phone conversation. Might be interesting. I'm sure your PT will be of great help too.

Vent to us if you need to!
  • AmyOutOfControl
    @Elise4270 Surgery... ugh. Thank god I am not that bad. Sorry you had to go through all THAT. I am terrified of surgery....😬

@shanaber I visit PT on Monday and I will find out what I am allowed to do. Hopefully, something? Swimming? Rowing machine? We shall see.

This is so frustrating!
  • emmamcgarity
    emmamcgarity Posts: 1,593 Member
    edited January 2020
    @amymoreorless just checking in to see how you are doing.
  • emmamcgarity
    emmamcgarity Posts: 1,593 Member
    @amymoreorless how are you doing?
  • ValkyrVex
    ValkyrVex Posts: 13 Member
    I got a stress fracture on the first of February, but the location and size are minimal. I'm in a compression sleeve and splint, but I can already bear weight on it for small periods of time.
    I feel like a hip fracture would take longer to heal than a tibia crack. I've never had this happen before, but the doctor has cleared me for aquatic or elliptical exercises in moderation. I imagine I won't be "running" for a couple months.
    I'm sorry you're going through that. I hope you heal well and it isn't too much of a problem.
    As a plus side, if you take precautions, you might be in running shape when the weather is nice again. Don't rush yourself.
    Take care.
  • shanaber
    Hi @ValkyrVex - this was originally posted a year ago. I haven't seen @AmyOutOfControl (used to be amymoreorless) on any of our running groups for most of the year.
    If you like you can come join us over at the monthly running challenge page. Here is the link to this month and we start a new discussion every month.
    https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10823008/february-2021-monthly-running-challenge/p1