Charge 3 step inaccuries vs Versa 2

Options
d_thomas02
d_thomas02 Posts: 9,048 Member
I've had a Fitbit Charge HR since the model line came out. When the original died I got a Charge 2, and the only thing it lacked was swim-proof. When the Charge 3 came out and was swim-proof, I bought it. Took it diving in Cozumel with no problems.

But after a couple of months I noticed the steps were way off. Since my Charge 2 still works, I wore both for a while and found the Charge 3 was 60% high on step counts. So I stopped wearing the Charge 3 and went back to my Charge 2.

Fitbit finally came out with a firmware update for the Charge 3 last September so I blew the dust off it, and strapped it back on next to my Charge 2. Still off high, but now only 15%. Still not good enough and support won't say if another firmware update is in the works.

Been through Fitbit support. They replaced the Charge 3 with another and it is also off high by about 15% on steps. Jumped through all of Fitbit supports hoops and now I have the option of replacing the second Charge 3 with another 3, or getting 50% off another tracker.

Steps are important to me and having good consistency when linked to MFP is a must. I don't think a third Charge 3 is the answer, but I have no experience with the Versa 2.

Has anyone noticed excessively high steps counts on the Versa 2 when driving or involved with non-stepping exercises?

Replies

• d_thomas02
    d_thomas02 Posts: 9,048 Member
    Options
    So the agonizing saga of my Fitbit Charge 3 continues. Here's the recap...

Bought the Charge 3 to replace my Charge 2 about this time last year mainly for its water resistance; in anticipation of a diving trip to Cozumel, and due to my job as foreman on a lawn maintenance crew and the exposure to the weather that job risks.

Trip went very well, Charge 3 survived the diving, albeit with a few hick-ups. And I was very happy with it.

And then I went back to work in March. About April I noticed I was getting a lot of step PBs (personal bests) and quite a few UPBs (Ultimate Personal bests) with the Charge 3. So I strapped on my old Charge 2 alongside my Charge 3 as a comparison test. After a few days it was apparent that the Charge 3 was higher to the tune of over 60% and the Fitbit forums were full of the same complaints of step inaccuracies coming from the Charge 3.

So I unstrapped the Charge 3 and contacted Fitbit with my concerns. And heard nothing from them... or so I thought. In late August I was going back through my e-mails for some unrelated reason when I stumbled over an e-mail from Fitbit about my Charge 3's step inaccuracies dating just a day or two past my inquiry. So I responded.

Went through all the trouble shooting steps that they asked for, the first being to install a firmware update, which brought the oversteps down to around 13%. Not good enough I said and by the way my Charge 3 is has a dead row of pixels on the display. I was told to send my Charge 3 back to them and they would send a replacement... Which they did.

So strapped the new Charge 3 (call it 3.2) to my wrist alongside my old Charge 2 and repeated the comparison for a month. Charge 3.2 averaged 15% higher on steps the the old Charge 2, 2% higher than Charge 3.1 so another round of troubleshooting with Fitbit Support.

Did a long hard reset (3.2.2) and another comparison. Still 15% higher than my Charge 2.

Now they're sending another replacement (will be 3.3) but they didn't ask for 3.2 back, and I'm approaching the end of 3.1's warranty.

OK, here is the interesting part.

While I'm waiting for my second warranty replacement Charge 3 to arrive I see my wife isn't wearing her Charge 2 anymore now that her heart issue has been resolved, so I think 'Why not wear both Charge 2s for comparison?'.

Only two days of data, but her Charge 2 is showing almost 17% higher steps than mine...

💥🤯 💥