Getting jiggy with It!

Options
SandiW02
SandiW02 Posts: 223 Member
First year teacher trying to figure out how to handle it all!

I am an emotional stress eater! I am hoping my new job will not interfere with my current life change and I go back to my bad habit. While I would like to think my habits have change...well honestly everyday is a battle.

Thought this group would help first time teachers (and seasoned) to get a grasp on their emotions, support one another, and stay healthy.

Replies

• april6678
    april6678 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    hi there,
    I'm April, 13th year of teaching....year one is tough. I guess I have two big pieces of advice...always pack your lunch (and watch for that first day buffet usually served by the pto!) and if you are easily influenced don't eat in the teachers room. This is usually the mecca of junk. I've lost 143 lbs to date (20 to go) and avoiding the teachers room was a HUGE part of the loss.
    Ask any questions you have about your first year...love to help!
  • mvanbalkom
    Options
    I just graduated from my teaching program. I'm looking for a job which is causing all types of stress. The last year of my program, I've put on 40 pounds so I'd like to meet others who are struggling with teaching and weight loss.
  • jeansuza
    jeansuza Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    Hi everybody!
    Starting next week, I will be teaching full time for the first time in many years. My general health has prevented me to do it for a while but after 16 months on MFP and a loss of 145 pounds I thought I was ready to give it a try... It will be much more stressful and I hope I will be able to cope while keeping up with the good habits I have been trying to implement in my life... I still have about 50 pounds to lose and hope to have reached maintenance by the end of the next school year. What else? Well, I am 51 and have been teaching teens for the last 25 years, both in music and ESL. If I can help a new teacher, it is going to be great.
  • SandiW02
    Options
    Nice to meet all of you! Well I already told you I am a stress eater and a first year teacher...I started this group because I could not even make it through 3 days of orientation without falling off the wagon.

I go back to school on Monday, Aug 26 to begin setting up my classroom. I am going to plan and pack (thanks) and make sure I have a stash of (chocolate) granola bars in my desk (closet) to avoid the vending machines. So besides being scared to death of my first week and not knowing my head from my butt (LOL) I am scared to gain the freshman 15!!

Yesterday was my first day back since training began and I was successful with exercise and logging. Hoping to hit Zumba tonight. I will start my gym routine tomorrow along with Zumba.
  • mvanbalkom
    Options
    145 pounds! That's amazing!
  • hananturland
    hananturland Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Hello Everyone

This is my second year of teaching. I teach in a Further Education College in the UK, teaching English as a second language. You'll be very busy and although it's stressful the rewards are tremendous especially when you see the progress of your learners and start to develop a rapport with them. Good luck, it doesn't take long to get used to it, if I can help and support please let me know.

I like the tip about the teachers' room, it's always a disaster area. Try and avoid it if you can. I found the sweet machines were my weakness so I'm not going to take any small change with me. In fact if I can help it, I'll only take my credit card to stop myself getting money from the bank machine to buy sweets.

Good luck.
  • hananturland
    hananturland Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    WOW!! 145lbs. What a star.
  • SandiW02
    Options
    hi there,
    I'm April, 13th year of teaching....year one is tough. I guess I have two big pieces of advice...always pack your lunch (and watch for that first day buffet usually served by the pto!) and if you are easily influenced don't eat in the teachers room. This is usually the mecca of junk. I've lost 143 lbs to date (20 to go) and avoiding the teachers room was a HUGE part of the loss.
    Ask any questions you have about your first year...love to help!

I am so excited about your loss to date! I hope to be saying the same thing one day. You are amazing!! From what I understand my school currently has no PTA so I do not think a buffet will be a problem (I hope). I can avoid donuts and pastry no biggie for me. I know some of the women I did student teaching with are doing WW so hopefully I can initiate an internal support system as well. You have provided some excellent rules to stick by and I look forward in draining your wisdom...oops what I mean is reading your volunteered wisdom. LOL