Introductions

Options

Replies

• juliemouse83
    juliemouse83 Posts: 6,663 Member
    Options
    Hollis100 wrote: »
    @juliemouse83 Hi and welcome to the UAC February challenge. We self report, so you can keep your diary private.

Thanks, @Hollis100 !!! :smiley: I'm all in!
  • BonnieHosk85
    BonnieHosk85 Posts: 2,552 Member
    Options
    @Fongyi3, yes, any exercise for 20 minutes counts! Welcome!
  • Fongyi3
    Fongyi3 Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    Thanks @BonnieHosk85 !
  • BonnieHosk85
    BonnieHosk85 Posts: 2,552 Member
    Options
    Welcome, @7Liana7! You've found the best group of people on MFP! I homeschooled both of my sons all the way through. We are so thankful we did it!
  • 7Liana7
    7Liana7 Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    Thanks! It's hard but every week I can actually see their intellectual growth and that makes it so worth it!
  • dsgoingtodoit
    dsgoingtodoit Posts: 803 Member
    edited January 2020
    Options
    Howdy from Texas! I rejoined MFP about 14 days ago. I work from home and also homeschool one of my children. I'm finally able to exercise again after a looong recovery and I'm excited...but know I'll need to take it easy...with consistency. I want to get back to the point that I can do what used to be my favorite exercises...but know that if I rush things - I'll be injured. (it was cardio kickboxing workouts with bags etc...) I'm going to be playing with my calories using Fitness Frog and another site - so my calories reflected on MFP are a little higher - little lower sometimes. In keeping with the challenge I will be adhering to my set goals regardless. My fitness journey is going to be a long term one. I am ultimately - over about 3 yrs - going to lose 140ish lbs. My goal for this year is 50 by year end. I am joining this challenge to have, just as the name suggests, accountability and also, community. Here's to hard work, dedication and like mindedness!
  • cjane917
    cjane917 Posts: 688 Member
    Options
    Hi,
    I've been a member since August but January was a terrible month for me. I'm determined to aim for the Winner's Circle in February since I think having that as a goal helps me avoid taking a bunch of pass days. Excited!
  • Dory_42
    Dory_42 Posts: 3,587 Member
    Options
    I got a bit off track in January while on leave with various friends visiting etc but I'm ready to get back on track. Physio is happy for me to try anything at Jiu Jitsu as long as my shoulder handles it so I can start building back to full strength! 23 Feb will be a year since I was at full fitness so I would like to see a decent improvement in the next 3 weeks, but I'm also aware that it took me a year to get this unfit and will take time to get back to my pre 2019 state! Can't wait to show the world how much I can do with one kidney!
  • TerriRichardson112
    TerriRichardson112 Posts: 18,229 Member
    edited February 2020
    Options
    fvnge6aw4qnn.jpg

Hi all! Welcome to returnees and newcomers.
    And a thousand thanks to our leader, @RangerRickL for helping us stay accountable.

I’m Terri from Northern Ireland. Back for my 16th month. Working on improving my fitness and health. Made the Winners Circle 15 times so far.

Original Goal for 2019 was to reach 155lbs, which I achieved, and revised down to <150lbs. Achieved the upper 140s in early Dec, then popped up a little over Christmas. Working my way back down to my lowest weight in 4 decades!

UAC is a good place for anyone to start the practicing of new habits, in a supportive and encouraging atmosphere.

SW: 227lbs (Mar 2014)
    LW: 146.8 Nov 2019
    UGW: 140s (this may change when I get there
    CW: 150.1
    • For the last 3 years I have tended to bounce up and down between 160 - 170. Occasionally I bounced up/down a little more.
    • My ideal situation would be to be below 155, to allow me some wiggle room for holidays/celebrations, hence my original goal for 2019, which I have now revised down a little.
    • I use CI/CO and a variety exercise for extra calories.
    • Logic would suggest that I have found a natural comfortable weight, and, according to modern BMI calculation, I am in the upper range of normal for my age and height. However, logic doesn't always dictate our desires and feelings. 😂
    WHAT I HAVE DISCOVERED
    1. Getting and staying healthy and fit requires the development of a permanent lifestyle reset.
    2. Replacing unhelpful habits with more useful ones is key to to the process.
    3. Losing weight is only one of the elements.
    4. Eating healthy and staying actively is not OPTIONAL, but an ABSOLUTE ESSENTIAL.
    THERE ARE NO QUICK FIXES OR SHORTCUTS to achieving permanent change.

REMINDERS One or two thoughts on weight which might give heart to some of you.
    • Daily weight fluctuations are normal, and can be several lbs a day for no apparent reason.
    • A general downward trend is what we are looking for.
    • Eating out can cause apparent weight gain because of high sodium levels, but usually goes quickly. Drinking extra water helps with this.
    • The human body does not react instantly to what we do to it. Sometimes it can take several days to see results.
    • Plateaus are a normal part of the process. The body is consolidating and adapting to your new way of eating/exercising.
    • The closer you get to your goal weight, the more difficult it becomes to lose weight, as your body becomes more efficient at using what you feed it.
    • When you exercise you build muscle, which takes up less space than fat, so use measurements as well as weight to assess your progress.
    • Getting/Staying fit and healthy requires a permanent lifestyle change for most people.
    Stick with the process. It DOES work! But it does take time, effort, and most of all, patience!