Have you tried GLP1 medications and found it didn't work for you? We'd like to hear about your experiences, what you tried, why it didn't work and how you're doing now. Click here to tell us your story

half marathon PR 2:00:36 Marathon in under 4 hours?

Replies

• yogajess11
    yogajess11 Posts: 32 Member
    I should clarify my time I posted in that this was my 3rd marathon and I ran the first half of it in 2:01 and then slowed down considerably the second half to get to my 4:18 time. Also, I should have known I couldnt keep the 9:00 pace up for the marathon distance during training because I bonked on the higher mileage (18 and 20) runs.
  • barrpc
    barrpc Posts: 96
    Ah, well hat makes sense. Do you try and do all your long runs at goal pace?
  • yogajess11
    yogajess11 Posts: 32 Member
    Not anymore! :) Just tried to push it that particular year on a few long runs since I was running with a group and hadn't done my long runs with a group before.
  • SonicDeathMonkey80
    SonicDeathMonkey80 Posts: 4,489 Member
    OP I'm in your boat. My HM PR is 1:45, and I'm planning on aiming for a 4:30 for my first full, which is in 1.5 weeks. To me, it seems like excessive time padding, but I haven't run anything beyond 20mi and I'm afraid of burning out. I'll come back here with the results :)
  • sammyneb
    sammyneb Posts: 257
    OP I'm in your boat. My HM PR is 1:45, and I'm planning on aiming for a 4:30 for my first full, which is in 1.5 weeks. To me, it seems like excessive time padding, but I haven't run anything beyond 20mi and I'm afraid of burning out. I'll come back here with the results :)

Please do! I'll be courious to know how you do. Good luck! I still have 10 weeks to go, but I hit my first 20 miler this weekend!
  • MinimalistShoeAddict
    MinimalistShoeAddict Posts: 1,946 Member
    I am a new runner (less than a year) so I don't have anything to add.

That being said I am also in a similar situation. I ran my first and only half marathon in January (1:57) and hope to complete my first marathon in under 4 hours this October.

I feel like my fitness is much better than it was in January and my weekly mileage is WAY up, but I have yet to run over 30km (18.64 miles) in one session.
  • CarsonRuns
    CarsonRuns Posts: 3,039 Member
    I'm going to restate something that was said earlier in the thread.

The marathon is not two half marathons. It is a completely different race.

Last fall, I ran a PR HM of 1:28:05. This translates to a 3:05 marathon. I ran 3:12 (probably could have run 3:10), but there is no way I could have run 3:05.

Over the three year span starting 1/1/2010 to 12/31/2012, I logged 7447 miles. That's an average of almost 48 miles a week over a period of 3 years. That is STILL not enough base to get my marathon time in line with McMillan's prediction based on my HM time.

I stand by my advice of McMillian prediction plus 15 to 20 minutes. If you try to run your first marathon any faster than that, you are going to blow up by mile 18 and have the most miserable 8.2 mile run (and walk) of your life at the end.
  • jessicasloan91
    jessicasloan91 Posts: 184 Member
    My HM PR is 1.47 and I did my marathon in 4:04 so I would say, not its not possible or realistic
  • barrpc
    barrpc Posts: 96
    And...train "Optimally", not "Maximally"!

http://www.mcmillanrunning.com/articlePages/article/24
  • sammyneb
    sammyneb Posts: 257
    Well my half was 2 months ago, so I will have 4 months more of training for my full. I am also running two halves this month. One of those halves will be following a 20 mile Saturday run and Sunday 10K race. So I figure I can pull of a PR of 1:55 or better at that half with no taper, then I have a better shot. I understand that a full is not just two halves, I get that. But on the same note, I get that because of a lot of people's experiences on here it may seem unlikely, but I'm surprised at the comments of this being impossible or completely unrealistic. Two years ago I was smoking and couldn't run a 2 miles 3 years ago I as 50 lbs heavier...so I’ve come a long way. Nothing is impossible.

But I am not unrealistic, I will not let an arbitrary goal dictate the start of the race. I will not go out to fast, I have yet to do that. I run my halves in a negative split. I don't expect to do that in the full, but I also know my limits. I have my fueling down and so far my longest run of 18 miles was just fine, went on my day afterwards and felt great. Yes 26 miles is a lot more than 18 but I also have 2 more months of training. I appreciate everyone’s responses and telling me their stories, but saying it is impossible? That I don't agree with.
  • CarsonRuns
    Please understand that my comments are not meant to discourage you. They are trying to help you look at this task from a realistic perspective and are based on, not only my experiences, but hundreds of others that I have heard or read about over the years.

There are physiological adaptations that have to take place before the human body is capable of sustaining that effort for that long without going into complete glycogen depletion. Those adaptations don't take place over a period of months. They take place over a period of years. Lot's of consistent mileage (and that doesn't mean 25 miles a week, that means 40+ miles a week) over years.

My goal is to help you to set a reasonable goal that will allow you to complete the marathon with the least amount of pain so that you look back on the experience and cherish it and want to do another one instead of viewing it as being nearly more miserable than childbirth and have no desire to run another step in your life.
  • essjay76
    essjay76 Posts: 465 Member
    It's not impossible, just highly unlikely. You've heard both sides here, so you know it is possible. But even in this small sample of runners, you could see the odds are stacked. (Only one person out of how many respondents)

Congrats on quitting smoking and losing that weight! That is an awesome feat in itself. I'm sure that the good willed advice you asked for here is only going to make you more determined to go sub 4 just to prove it can be done. Will and determination can go a long way.

I wish I had the same info and resources and knew then what I know now about this.

Try a negative split first. Bank energy, not time. The real race starts at mile 20.
  • arc918
    arc918 Posts: 2,037 Member
    A well run marathons (even splits) is a TRICKY beast. Energy management is critical (hence the frequent warnings of don't go out too fast) and it is generally learned through experience.

The tough part is you line up on race day feeling good (well training & well rested) so it is really easy to get going a little too fast. So let's say you are running 8:45 instead of 9:15. At mile 20+ the error become geometric, you don't slow down that original 30 seconds per mile, you might slow down 2 minutes per mile.

Running close to your half PR for twice the distance is a tall order. See how the rest of your training goes and then approach with caution on race day.

I can tell from experience how sucky it is to go out with a faster pace group (say 4:00) and then get passed by the next group or two behind them (4:15 & 4:30). Even worse you realize you probably would have been fine if you just stuck with 4:15.

Anyway, sorry to be a downer. This is my experience after 26 marathons (including 9 or 10 crash & burns while chasing arbitrary time goals and "just trying to hang on"). I can also tell you how awesome it was to finally become the guy who was passing all the other runners over the last few miles as they were crashing and burning. All I had to do was learn how to manage my energy and assess my proper race pace based on my training.

Good luck and have fun whatever pace you decide to run!
  • CarsonRuns
    It's not impossible, just highly unlikely. You've heard both sides here, so you know it is possible. But even in this small sample of runners, you could see the odds are stacked. (Only one person out of how many respondents)

And he admittedly did the 2:02 HM as a training run and held back. We don't even know what his real HM PR might be.
  • mlb929
    mlb929 Posts: 1,974 Member
    My half marathon time is 2:00, and my marathon would reasonably have been 4:20, I was totally with pace group, no problems until I broke my ankle at mile 17, and finished in 4:40 instead. I wouldn't plan any faster than 4:20. Reasonably, taking 13 minutes off a half marathon time is running 1:00 MPM faster, in the world of numbers, that's actually quite significantly faster. I'm happy to peel a minute or two off one half to another. But I would say with a first marathon, planning to do it quite a bit faster than calculators have you running it as it a message of disappointment.
  • bert16
    bert16 Posts: 726 Member

And he admittedly did the 2:02 HM as a training run and held back. We don't even know what his real HM PR might be.

Just to clarify a couple things:

1) I'm a she, not a he! (yes, masculine-sounding username... sorry for the confusion!) :laugh:

2) That's a true statement that I have never truly "raced" a half. I wouldn't say it was just any ol' training run, since the race environment and general competitiveness caused me to push it more than I would've were I just out running a 13-mile training run on my own, but I definitely don't feel like I "raced" the whole half. (Frankly, I feel the same way about my full, though that was more of a pacing chess game and fear of running more than 20 miles for the first time.) If you feel your half marathon "PR" is similarly soft, that'd be an encouraging sign.

If it helps, and I'm not sure it will, my 13 mile splits were:
    - for my full: 1:56:30;
    - for my 20 mile training run ~1 month prior to the full: 1:58:30
    - for a metric marathon I ran ~2 months prior to the full (and ~1 month after the half): 1:57:46
  • CarsonRuns

1) I'm a she, not a he! (yes, masculine-sounding username... sorry for the confusion!) :laugh:
    My bad!

Are you sure? That's a 5:56 pace. <---Disregard!
  • ZenInTexas
    ZenInTexas Posts: 781 Member

My bad!

Are you sure? That's a 5:56 pace.

I'm pretty sure she meant that was her time at 13 miles. Not for the whole thing.
  • CarsonRuns

My bad!

Are you sure? That's a 5:56 pace.

I'm pretty sure she meant that was her time at 13 miles. Not for the whole thing.

oh, oh. Yes. I see.
  • essjay76
    essjay76 Posts: 465 Member

2) That's a true statement that I have never truly "raced" a half. I wouldn't say it was just any ol' training run, since the race environment and general competitiveness caused me to push it more than I would've were I just out running a 13-mile training run on my own, but I definitely don't feel like I "raced" the whole half. (Frankly, I feel the same way about my full, though that was more of a pacing chess game and fear of running more than 20 miles for the first time.) If you feel your half marathon "PR" is similarly soft, that'd be an encouraging sign.

If it helps, and I'm not sure it will, my 13 mile splits were:
    - for my full: 1:56:30;
    - for a metric marathon I ran ~2 months prior to the full (and ~1 month after the half): 1:57:46

Just imagine what your half time would be now if you truly raced it!