GERD

Options
kglowins
kglowins Posts: 111 Member
edited January 2020 in Social Groups
I am six years out from my sleeve surgery. And I have done really well and been happy with the procedure/process and have maintained my 150lb weight loss. However, since day one I have been on an acid reducer which worked well until October 2019. It really was overnight that the medication no longer worked and I had severe reflux. I discovered that I had a significant hiatal hernia and I had it repaired in December. However, I am still have reflux issues. I am told my only other option is to convert my sleeve to the bypass to eliminate the reflux. I am curious if anyone else has been through converting a sleeve to bypass and what that experience was like or if you did discover other options to manage gerd that worked so you could avoid another surgery. Any info would be helpful. Thanks!

Replies

• Fflpnari
    Fflpnari Posts: 975 Member
    Options
    I've been having reflux and actually concerned I had a hiatal hernia. I was never impressed with my sleeve surgery so Id be willing to convert to a bypass
  • ladycook9713
    ladycook9713 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I've seen several people get a conversion from sleeve to bypass specifically for GERD issues. Those people have had their GERD successfully resolved with bypass.
  • dlmciver
    dlmciver Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    I am four years out and had a hiatal hernia repaired with VSG. The hernia is back and three months ago my PPI, taken twice daily, stopped working. The switch from Omoprazole to Esomeprazole, 1 X per day, has made all of the difference for me.
  • Mom2Cubs
    Mom2Cubs Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    I had severe reflux after the sleeve. This was mostly due to stricture then a ballooning, which also stalled my weight loss. I was given the option of a bracelet around my esophagus or a gastric bypass conversion. I chose the conversation. It worked! Wish I had done it a lot sooner. I no longer have the reflux, no longer feel like puking if I bend over within an hour of eating, and I lost more weight. For me, it was the right choice and I have been pleased.
  • kglowins
    kglowins Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    @Mom2Cubs sorry I am just now seeing your comment! Thanks so much for the reassurance. I was able to get it under control again with some meds. My hiatal hernia repair didn't seem to help much. Glad to hear the conversion cured the reflux...that must be so nice. I just hate to have another surgery when this one has worked out well for me aside from the reflux.