Any vegans also post-WLS?

Options
whisker1984
whisker1984 Posts: 26 Member
LONG POST AHEAD -- sorry!!!

I had the gastric sleeve surgery done about 18 months ago, and I've done well with weight loss since (about 120 lb down). I have another 50 lbs to lose to be at a healthy BMI. I've recently gone vegan for health and ethical reasons, and I'm finding certain aspects difficult.

I became lactose intolerant after surgery and never ate many eggs, plus I was vegetarian for about 10 years as a young adult, so I'm not really feeling like I'm missing anything at this point. But I'm hoping there may be others that underwent WLS in the past as well and may be able to empathize/provide suggestions for the following:

1) Eating carbs again is crazy! I'm taking a whole-food-plant-based approach with minimal oil, so I'm eating pretty healthy. But I'm having trouble wrapping my head around foods like grains or potatoes or pasta actually being "okay" instead of "evil." I still picture a big, red X over them!

2) Because vegetables are so bulky, I find it difficult to eat enough at one sitting to be satisfied with my smaller stomach. I've found myself feeling overstuffed or having to eat CONSTANTLY throughout the day (or both, somehow). I'm eating tofu, beans, grains, or some meat substitute with most meals, but it's still an issue.

3) Despite #1 and #2, I'm eating slightly more calories on paper than I was with a lower-carb approach. Some of the science seems to suggest I'll still lose weight this way because of the diet's composition, while other stuff favors the strict CICO approach. Obviously, time will tell, but I'm curious if anyone observed the same thing. Everyone else seems to talk about suddenly eating fewer calories when going vegan, but adding more carbs in from a WLS diet means it's the opposite for me. I'm definitely retaining water right now with the increase....

On the positive side, I've had virtually ZERO nausea since starting to eat this way. After WLS, I had just accepted that it was normal to spend a percentage of my day feeling nauseated for the rest of my life.

Much thanks in advance! :)

Replies

• sfreasier
    sfreasier Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Hi - I had VGS on 3/3 and would like to be as plant-based as possible moving forward. I’d love to connect for ongoing support. I’m at the beginning of this journey, so I likely have much more to learn from you! For instance, what substitute did you use for ricotta, yogurt, and cottage cheese during the smooth textures phase?

Looking forward to connecting!