Steroid treatment fears

Options
I have Hashimoto's and now AI Hepatitis (liver). Just began prednisone treatment and it is expected I will need this for at least 15 months, in addition to immune suppressants soon. I am terrified of weight gain and puffiness from long term steroid use. I have only a little information on what to do with diet, exercise and caring for my digestive system. I am interested in supplements to help with most of this but am also trying to incorporate foods that will target thyroid, liver, IBS, metabolism, inflammation, and water retention. It has been only about 10 days and I feel great (better energy and mood) on treatment, but I'm worried it won't last. Please help me with any suggestions you have and your positive experiences with steroid treatment because I am having a hard time getting past all the potential bad side effects. THANK YOU!!

Replies

• GaleHawkins
    GaleHawkins Posts: 8,160 Member
    Options
    @rebbecat1101 in my case I have had Ankylosing Spondylitis for about 60 years.

Long term prednisone use lead to hip joint damage and having both replaced back in 1991. For pain management in 2014 the doctors wanted me to start on immune suppressants (Enbrel Injections in my case) for pain management. After talking with my pharmacist and doing some reading in my weaken state I did not want to risk the side effect of cancer.

On a hunch for pain management I cut out all foods containing ANY added sweeteners and or any form of any grain back in Oct 2014 and I still eat that way today.

I do not tell others how to eat so this is just my story about my life long health issues.

The first two weeks were hellish putting it mildly withdrawing from my high carb way of eating. Then my pain started dropping like a rock so in 30 days I was able to tell the doctors that I was going to pass on starting Enbrel injections.

My level of inflammation and water retention were decreasing. In 6 months my 40 years of life defining IBS fully resolved and has not been back for even one day now for 5 years. My balance returned and I stopped falling all of the time. Oh and I went on to lose 50 pounds without trying.

In hindsight I had moved to a keto way of eating without realizing that fact at the time.

Keep in mind Keto is not for weight loss but that weight loss can be an side effect of lowing one's inflammation level.

Changing my way of eating was not easy but I was 63 at the time and our 16 year old son and daughter were watching my health fail daily and wondering if that was what they had to look forward to happening to them one day.

Once they saw how I got to walking well and could get in and out of the car without their help they would not let me go back to my old way of eating.

Best of success in finding a way to eat that may work to give you a better life.
  • rebbecat1101
    rebbecat1101 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    thank you so much for sharing your experiences! What a lot you had to go through, but at least you were successful. I have been reading so much about autoimmune protocol/diet and it is really terrifying because it leaves NOTHING (esp the good stuff) for me to eat and I can't afford all the special flours etc to use instead. I will take to heart what you have shared though. It is so crazy how diet can change so much regarding our health. I am not worried about pain management at this time. Just gaining weight/water retention from steroids and know I'm in it for a long treatment. So far, in 2 weeks, I have maintained my weight while on Prednisone. I am hoping that introducing dietary supplements and exercise will do for me what changing your diet did for you. I'm so happy to hear your success and even if your path scares me (feel like I could never manage/afford all the work you have done) I will remember what you said and try little bits of diet change. Maybe I'll have some luck too. Best of luck to you with your continued journey!! Thanks!
  • GaleHawkins
    GaleHawkins Posts: 8,160 Member
    Options
    thank you so much for sharing your experiences! What a lot you had to go through, but at least you were successful. I have been reading so much about autoimmune protocol/diet and it is really terrifying because it leaves NOTHING (esp the good stuff) for me to eat and I can't afford all the special flours etc to use instead. I will take to heart what you have shared though. It is so crazy how diet can change so much regarding our health. I am not worried about pain management at this time. Just gaining weight/water retention from steroids and know I'm in it for a long treatment. So far, in 2 weeks, I have maintained my weight while on Prednisone. I am hoping that introducing dietary supplements and exercise will do for me what changing your diet did for you. I'm so happy to hear your success and even if your path scares me (feel like I could never manage/afford all the work you have done) I will remember what you said and try little bits of diet change. Maybe I'll have some luck too. Best of luck to you with your continued journey!! Thanks!

One step at a time is fine. Remember I have been reading medical research about Ankylosing Spondylitis since 1976. It was only in 2014 that I realized high carb eating was shorting my life and decreasing quality of life at the same time.

I know what I need to eat but do not know what you may need to eat but in time you can figure that out. My Way Of Eating is not really all that expensive.

I eat at McDonald's most days for $3.17 which is two 1/4 pound patties with 10 packs of mustard and a senior coffee with half and half. In my case that is an 800 calorie meal.

The rest comes from Walmart with no special ordering. Nuts and tuna are not as cheap as a box of carbs I understand.

In my case I was dying in front of our 16 year old son and daughter and when I realized that I decided that was not acceptable so I started to search for a WOE that decreased my level of body inflammation.

There is no magic Way Of Eating and a lot of mistakes are OK as you learn to use food for body healing. Over time things will click for you.

Listen to your own body not the words of others.

The way we eat can trigger bad health or good health but not both at the same time.

Best of success.