Calories Overestimated?

Options
Talan79
Talan79 Posts: 782 Member
I just got mine on Sunday and wanted some insight on the data. I switched from Fitbit Flex 2 & think AW calories are a lot higher.
On Tuesday, I had 16,069 steps, 733 active calories from 3 miles run, 30 min of lifting & steps throughout the day. According to AW, I burned 3,083 calories. This is a huge number for someone my size. I’m 5”2, and weigh 118, age 40. Wednesday I had 15,984 steps, 3 miles run and 30 min weights, burned 2,550 calories, 787 active calories. Took a rest day Thursday, had 8,712 steps, 357 active calories & burned 2,694 calories.
This makes zero sense that my TDEE was higher with half the steps on a rest day. I think the issue may be the resting calories in Apple Health app are just inflated. Can anyone make sense of this or does AW just take time to get to know my routine?

I’ve tried to see if I can modify the resting calories but that is not an option. Any insight will be great.

Replies

• SummerSkier
    SummerSkier Posts: 4,805 Member
    Options
    that's interesting. Mine calculates a lot lower than my fitbit. The biggest factor I found was how it tracked my heart rate. When you do your workouts do you have it monitor hr constantly? That would be more accurate. Make sure your weight and other data is in Apple health also correctly. Are you getting your calorie "burn" # from the activity app on your phone? For compare, I am 5 2 and about 100 pounds. Get between 20 and 30K steps a day and do long runs. For my MOVE calories if I get 700 that equates to about 1900 cals total for the day. I say keep playing with it and it may learn you better.
  • Talan79
    Options
    I’ve made sure my height, weight and age all correct in watch app, health and MFP. Yes, I used the heart rate the whole time to be sure I’m getting the most accurate reading. I use the App to pull the numbers for the active calories and the TDEE.
    It’s just strange that on a rest day I’m getting a high number like an active day. I’ve had the flex for about 2 years. And my TDEE would be about 2,300 on days that I had a high step count & did a weight session.
    I’ve worn both trackers for two days and the steps are pretty close to each other. I’m just not understanding why the AW calories are out of wack.
  • SummerSkier
    SummerSkier Posts: 4,805 Member
    Options
    I think you are misreading something in the "burn" #. 787 active calories + resting energy is where you are going to get your TDEE. What is your resting#? If I look on my activity app under the move ring there is a total listed there which usually comes close to the active cals + resting. You don't ADD those to your baseline of say 1100 or 1200 resting. They are a total.
  • Talan79
    Options
  • Talan79
    Options
    This is today as of 11:50am1cme1xo44fs4.png