Aerial Set ups

LaurenLPitt
LaurenLPitt Posts: 22 Member
Hello Circus peeps!

I recently got myself an aerial hoop to use at home (Yay!!), and currently figuring out a way to rig it up so it's high enough, away from enough obstacles and safely secure. I put it up on a sturdy wooden support beam in my car port to test it out but it's too low to the ground. Trees are an option as I have plenty of massive old strong trees, but it is winter here in Australia and I live in the mountains so it's cold and rainy at the moment!

I've been looking at portable aerial rigs but they're pricey so that will have to wait. And seemingly harder to get a decent price in Australia, for example I found one that's $500 US if you live in the states or Europe but for postage to Aus it's $850 US total for rig and shipping. The ones available already within Aus have been around $2000-$3000

Any Aerialists out there? Do you have your own hoop/silk/rope/trapeze set up at home and how have you rigged it? :)

Replies

• husseycd
    husseycd Posts: 814 Member
    I have an outdoor rig (the suspendulum: http://www.suspendulum.com ). I love it. In the winter, I just set my hoop up in the basement. The ceiling is too low to really do anything spectacular, but it helps me practice. I can't do silks at my house. I may set up a set just to do egg rolls, meat hooks and pull ups, but that would be the extent.

I'm lucky because I have a couple indoor places to work, including the studio I train at. In the winter, I just usually take more classes. This year, I plan on cross training more with weights.
  • LaurenLPitt
    Yay! I go to classes once a week, but really want to be able to practice daily at home to speed up my skillz.

Oh cool! Looks like a nice tall one! Would LOVE one of those but it'll take a while to save up for one at the moment. Hopefully by the time is summer here I'll have enough saved :D

The hoop in your basement, how is that rigged? Is it hanging from a support beam that's already part of your roof? Or something you're attached to the ceiling yourself? or did you buy an indoor sized rig?

At the moment I'm planning to attach my hoop rigging to the plaster ceiling in my dining room. My partner is a builder, his Dad is one too and my Dad is an engineer so I'm hoping between the 4 of us we'll somehow figure out a way to make it work. My partner's Dad who has a lot of experience with structural type building reckons it's doable, but really we won't know till we try.

We plan to go into the roof cavity, attach extra wood beams for strength to the already existing support beam inside the roof, and then have some kind of bolt going through them and coming out from the plaster ceiling with some sort of hoop for it to attach to.

I've never heard of or seen anyone else do this so I'm a little worried about how to go about it, advice from anyone who has done this before or links with info or contacts would be helpful and appreciated!!!
  • husseycd
    In the basement, I just have an eyebolt through one of the floor joists. It's only my lyra though, so no drops or anything.
    IMG_1130.jpg

One of the studios here rigs the way you describe. It can certainly be done, but be careful because one of her rigging points pulled through. I'm also an engineer (water not structural).
  • husseycd
    Meant to add, the rigging at the studio pulled through during a drop. I don't take silks there anymore because it just makes me too nervous--even though she reinforced all the rigging points. But I do still comfortably take lyra there.
  • LaurenLPitt
    Thanks for the info! Nice set up! Wish there was some already existing beams for me to attach to but no such luck I'm afraid.

Yeah that's what I'm afraid of! Suddenly pulling through and crashing to the floor and breaking my neck eep!

Well at least my ceilings aren't that high so it's not far to fall and I'm going to have lots of thick couch cushions down to pad my fall till I get a proper safety mat. And I'll most likely avoid doing any particularly dangerous tricks at home and save those for the safety of the classroom where they have professional rigging and crash mats.
  • LaurenLPitt
    It was a success, we attached the hoop to my dining room plaster ceiling with the added extra support beam inside the roof cavity. You can see me in my profile pic on it!

<
    Yay!!

Also I had another idea for rigging outdoors in spring/summer, until I can afford a proper Aerial Outdoor rig, I'm gonna buy some sturdy playground equipment/swing set to attach it to.

I'll update you on how that goes!
  • husseycd
    Awesome! I would love to rig to my living room since the ceilings are actually 9 ft. My husband would probably kill me though.

As long as you've properly reinforced I wouldn't worry too much about the lyra pulling through. It just doesn't have the same force as drops do in silks. And unless someone is swinging violently on it, I'd think it should be fine.

I used to rig in a tree, too. It was a great set-up. Again, I avoid drops, but for more "static" stuff, it was great.
  • Weebs628
    Weebs628 Posts: 574 Member
    I totally wish I could rig my hoop inside! Right now it's in my garage hooked up to an eye bolt that's in a support beam. It's so cold out there in the winter, even with a space heater - I don't use it much cause I'm afraid I'll injure a muscle because I can't get warm!