Thinking of running a 10K in October

Options
debi_f
debi_f Posts: 330 Member
Hello all! I'm looking to all of you for advice on whether I can feasibly work up to 10K by October 27.

Here's where I am now: I run 4-7 times a week (over the summer, I ran every morning, but now that school is in, I'll be running 4 days and "gymming" it the other 3). My runs tend to be between 2.5 and 3.5 miles.

I'd like to start pushing myself, though. I ran a 5K in March, and well, let's just say that the experience was less than wonderful. I actually backed out of another race after that, because the first one had been so awful. It wasn't so much the run itself, but the whole race-experience. (I live in a country where I don't really speak the language, and I didn't know a single person at the run, so I spent a lot of the time before the race wondering -- and letting myself get worked up over -- whether I was even in the right place or doing the right thing...)

Anyway, there is a big running event right here in my own town, so I KNOW my family will be there (heck, I would be running less than half a block from my house for part of it).

So my concerns are twofold: 1. Can I reasonably/safely expect to increase the distance to 10K by October, and 2. How do I get over the mental fear of a March-repeat?

My goal is really just to finish the race. I don't need to set any land-speed records, but I'd like to be able to do it without walking.

Any words of advice?

Replies

• rduhlir
    rduhlir Posts: 3,550 Member
    Options
    Do a search and look for a 10K plan that works for you. There are plenty out there, you just have to find the one that fits into your lifestyle. There are plenty on coolrunnings.com, Runner's World, etc...

As far as your prior race, there is something you must realize. Every runner will have a bad race now and again. Unfortunately, one of yours happened to be your first. Honestly, from the sound of it, you just picked the wrong first 5K. You were in a place where you didn't know anyone, you had no one there to congradulate you for finishing, and you had no one to distract you from the butterflies that fluttered in your stomach at the start. You just need to realize that every has bad runs, and just try to have a better one.

Remember to go slow...as slow as you need to. Start near the back of the pack so you aren't tempted to try and sprint with the rabbits out of the starting block. Get there early to do a quick warm-up jog or walk, and to use the bathroom if needed. And don't be afraid to walk if you need to. If it comes down to needing to walk then do it methodically. Run a mile then walk a minute, because even if you happen to walk for 5 minutes of it, you will still be able to say you ran the 6.2 miles.
  • debi_f
    debi_f Posts: 330 Member
    Options
    Thank you so much!

I think I've found a good training plan that will fit into my schedule. Now to overcome the fear factor! I know some runs are better than others, so I just need to apply that knowledge to races...
  • KathleenMurry
    KathleenMurry Posts: 448 Member
    Options
    If the race is toward the end of the month, you can definitely do it. Pick one day a week to do a long easy pace run and add 1 KM to it every week. You'll gradually get up to 10 km this way. Just don't do it all at once or you'll end up spending more time recovering than training.

Good luck!
  • __Di__
    __Di__ Posts: 1,630 Member
    Options
    How did you do OP, did you run a 10k in the end?